Video learning: Vaizdinis mokymas

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2009
      LT: Siunčiu laišką Kennedy Owino, siūlau rengti bendrą paraišką "Vaizdinis
      mokymas" paremti bendradarbiavimą tarp Eičiūnų ir Kenijos. Taip pat
      palaikau mintį siųsti Minčių sodo rinktinę iš Lietuvos parengti COMMUNIA
      susitikimo Londone Internetinį vaizdo transliavimą. Andrius

      Hi Kennedy,

      Yes, there is interest in Lithuania that we work together. We're also
      very excited for your wedding this April. Congratulations to you and
      Angelina!

      I suggest that we write a proposal to the Rising Voices microgrants.
      http://rising.globalvoicesonline.org/blog/2008/12/23/rising-voices-seeks-micro-grant-proposals-for-citizen-media-outreach/

      My thought is we call it "Video Learning". We'd ask for 4,000 dollars,
      half for the village of Eiciunai where you performed and half for you in
      Kenya. It would be a two year project. Half would be for
      equipment/Internet and half would be stipend for you and for Zenonas.
      The purpose would be to create videos by which we teach each other what
      we know that is best taught visually, such as the phonics flash cards,
      acrobatics techniques, community theatre, mathematics, our surrounding
      environment, DIY Solar. We'd use Marcin Jakubowski's blog
      http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/ as an example of the kinds of videos we'd
      like to do. We'd also do four video bridges per year in order to have a
      live connection between our communities. So we'd be using video both as
      a media for teaching (we'd mail each other CDs) and as a means for
      connecting we'd do video bridges which we'd record and stream live
      through Zenonas website http://www.internettv.lt We're building on your
      previous visit.

      What do you think? The deadline is in one week, January 18. Should we
      submit it through our Minciu Sodas lab? Or how else? You and Zenonas
      would split the money - I would benefit from the strengthening of our
      bases. It could be a joint proposal between your Nafsi Afrika Acrobats
      and the Eiciunai youth organization.

      Happy New Year,

      When the year begins, i usually reflect and reassess my position and
      status in many regards.
      I just realised that i owe you much for the support and inspiration you
      sparked upon my life in 2008.
      I also realised that there are some money you directed to me that you
      haven't spoken about.
      Check your forwarded mail below and confirm.
      Let me know what you think about the lines i have put bold in your mail
      below.
      I guess if i am right, part of the 125 dollars was spent in the caravan..
      i am not certain how much because i can't trace the report.
      Anyway we can assume it is as it is.
      Can i refund you the amount to help you clear some of the debts you have
      or? direct me on what to do.

      Regards,

      Ken Owino
      Nafsi Africa Acrobats
      www.nafsiafrica.org
      +254723568251

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2009
        Dear Andrius, Ken, Zenonas, and All,

        This sounds like a very exciting project, and I'd love to include ActALIVE
        (www.actalive.org) in it at some point!!

        I have some "intuitive" feedback in the form of suggestions, that is also in
        part based on what I've seen funded, and my own experiences with fundraising
        for KAIPPG. It might be advisable to talk with David Sasaki about your ideas
        too, to see if--for example--personal stipends can be part of a proposal.

        Most if not all of the proposals funded have the strongest component "in
        situ", in the community or communities of those being funded. How would this
        project you envision be disseminated widely in the two communities? I don't
        mean via website and blogging, but in other ways, as so many people--in
        Kenya, at least--cannot access the Internet much. So, how will people
        without much or any ICTs-related access be able to learn, share, and
        participate?

        Blogs that could somehow be translated into audio (podcasts et al) and
        disseminated via radio, mobile phone, and other so-called mass-accessible
        technologies would be good to consider. Since Nafsi has such a strong visual
        component to its work, how will that best be disseminated widely (within
        Kibera/Nairobi and Kenya, as well as in Lithuania)?

        The video bridges are an excellent idea: I wonder if and how that could
        happen within the communities served by Nafsi and the Eiciunai Youth
        Organization?

        Also (and you mentioned this to me in my recent mail abt Actwid K), perhaps
        one or two focal points for the exchanges would be best for now. And what
        would those be? What do these orgs have in common, what are their own
        strengths or missions, and how can these be combined? What can they learn
        from each other, what challenges can they address mutually that will help
        their individual communities, and hopefully both communities?

        Again, this is partly about interaction org to org--and strengthening
        individual and mutual capacities--but it should also be geared towards how
        to disseminate what they are learning, as quickly as possible, to their
        communities.

        My own suggestion would be to make any personal stipends the very lowest
        amount of money you seek. Not that Ken and Zenonas do not deserve a stipend,
        or even need a stipend to do this work. But that--relative to such a small
        amount of funding--the "outreach" aspects related to communities might not
        be funded adequately.

        If you ask for $5000 for one year, and devote $4000-$4500 of that to
        strengthening the capacities of each and both orgs (to do work in their own
        communities, and to engage in cultural interchange, with the idea of
        applying whatever learning emerges within their own communities as
        well)--this to include the video-bridges, equipment, and
        outreach/knowledge-dissemination to the communities (via radio, blogging,
        podcasts, et al)--and designate $500 to $1000 at the most ($500 each) for
        personal stipends, that might address the "Rising Voices" mission in a more
        effective way.

        In fact, it might be better to find some funding for personal stipends from
        somewhere else completely, or at least supplemental to the minimum amount
        you would put into the grant ($250 each for the two leaders).

        Having said that, other grants might allow you to address all of these
        points in the way you have outlined below. So what I am saying really
        applies to this particular grant, though personal stipends remain a tricky
        issue in most cases. I believe there are some Rockefeller and/or Ford grants
        that specifically focus on individuals for funding.

        I think a joint proposal written by the two orgs might be the best approach
        for this too (two "grassroots" groups), though certainly MS can be listed as
        a partner, since that will be the truth of the matter, and partnerships can
        only strenghten the proposal and the success of the project.

        Thanks to all and best of luck! I look forward to working on these ideas and
        projects too, esp linked to ActALIVE! Janet

> [...]
        > Minciu Sodas
        > http://www.ms.lt
        > ms@...
        >

        > Happy New Year,
        >
        > When the year begins, i usually reflect and reassess my position and
        > status in many regards.
        > I just realised that i owe you much for the support and inspiration you
        > sparked upon my life in 2008.
        > I also realised that there are some money you directed to me that you
        > haven't spoken about.
        > Check your forwarded mail below and confirm.
        > Let me know what you think about the lines i have put bold in your mail
        > below.
        > I guess if i am right, part of the 125 dollars was spent in the caravan..
        > i am not certain how much because i can't trace the report.
        > Anyway we can assume it is as it is.
        > Can i refund you the amount to help you clear some of the debts you have

      • Kennedy Owino
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2009
          Dear Andrius, Janet, Pam, Ricardo and All,

          Thank you all for blessing my Year, thanks for your congratulatory messages in regard to my wedding on April 25th .. you give me and Angelina bliss and a reason to smile big.

          Hmmm, i love this idea. for this timely info i say thanks!
          We did it together last year (Pyramid of Peace) and we can still do it together this year ( Pyramid of Change).
          I believe there is so much positive change we can advance through a much widely distributed network like Minciu Sodas.

          I am sorry for having been in an off-line mode for quite some time , i have been working on certain ideas that i believe overlaps well with this and would provide a better platform to writing a proposal and launching a project if approved.
          Some of my ideas i bet would also answer some of Janet's questions below.
          Yes Andrius it is wonderfully ambitious,  am very positive to explore and come up with a joint Proposal on this with Zenonas and most probably some more people.

          I have been following up with Pam on an e-photo sharing programme between United Kingdom schools and African schools/ Organisations.
          I am co-ordinating at the behest of a school in Kibera slum where i am also a P.E and Acrobatics teacher.
          I help them upload photos on to the site and download some of the photos and share it with them.
          I have a family visiting me from Europe whose child was so much interested on having a shared moment with the slum school children.
          We took her to the school and she joined the children of her age in two lessons, this was a big experience to her and also to the Kenyan children practically sharing with a person of different culture and continent.
          This was a F2F experience for the child, to me it kind of challenged my mind on how an exchange programme can be developed virtually.
          This made me reflect on our previous discussions with Zenonas (the possibilities of video-bridging Africa and Lithuania).
          It is an idea i have tried to work at a distance and i see it's merits should we employ the idea..where the school children from the divided continents (Kenya-Lithuania, or Kenya-United Kingdom) would have e-lessons through video bridging and possibly discuss issues such as adolescent and sexual reproductive health.
          Nafsi would provide E-Leadership (where someone nutures the groups, and help in developing a shared e-culture and appropriate use of the meeting spaces).

          I am developing a training manual for Sarakasi and Africa .Yoga.Project.
          Paige Elenson of A.Y.P has invited me (based on my experience with the Pyramid of Peace) to give a three days Peace and Reconciliation workshop to Acrobats and Dancers of the Amani (Peace) Circus.
          My mind has been challenged on how we as Artists would expand our horizons of reaching out to our communities more than just entertainment.
          I have been thinking to myself.
          Willing Acrobatics groups can be involved in a concept where they learn basic knowledge from the internet and use the knowledge in teaching Street Children.
          Acrobats bond well with Street Children in Kenya (as our case) and train them acrobatics skills.
          More than arts empowerment we can start by having informal learning classes for these children that can lead them to the formal education.
          Identified groups could be provided with Laptops and taught how to link to the internet using their phones that probably support GPRS and a method of linking to other identified groups laptops through infrared adapter or USB Bluetooth adapter to share information.
          The Artists would  get basic training on Peer education, H.I.V/AIDS, and Adolescent and sexual reproductive Health and environmental concerns.
          They would be involved later as Ambassadors who not only give vulnerable Street Children Acrobatics skills but also train them on other areas of basic computer skills, H.I.V/AIDS issues and other interests (an open source learning concept as in Pam's idea of learning from each other).
          It may help our Kenyan economy(online and offline), if alot of Youths could start using the internet, as individual, groups or businesses.
          The Artists laptop empowerment project and street Children computer literacy would also open up National and international communication for Artists and Street Children to form any form of virtual communication to share ideas, knowledge and help on any subject (Arts, Health, Sports, Job skills, business, Hobbies, education e.t.c)

          Andrius, let us brain storm and invite more input in this, what exactly is appropriate to write a proposal for, merits and dismerits before adopting the common purpose.
          Yes we can write a propsal through Minciu Sodas Eiucinai Youth Organisation and Nafsi Africa Acrobats can develop a common purpose and write a proposal in a week's time.

          Peace,

          Ken Owino
          Nafsi Africa Acrobats
          www.nafsiafrica.org