Marcin, can we learn good judgment?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2008
      Marcin, I admire your achievements at Factor E Farm, your sharing your
      inventions, and especially your providing a window to your life through
      your blog. http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/

      I think that window makes you much more "real" than if you just worked on
      your own. Not only can you look at yourself, and reflect on your results,
      but we can reflect along with you. You become a real person, much more
      real than anything on your farm, and as real as anything in our lives.

      I write because I feel a great loss for you and us that Brittany, your
      love and partner in life, has left your farm indefinitely. Jeff and I
      visited you one year ago, and I was most impressed, how she is so central
      to your best works and dreams. Her blog posts are marvelous affirmations
      of your frontier life. And her absence is the profoundest critique I
      could think of.

      You march on, undeterred, kinder than the great Mao on the Long March,
      more like a George Washington crossing the Delaware, with at least a short
      nod about "People... Brittany left, as she discussed on her post."

      You might put a price on that, though. What is the value of a sweetheart,
      a true love, a companion, an other half, an inspiration, the one by whom
      you ever grow a better person? Is it $1,000,000? $10,000,000? How does
      that factor into the month's or year's progress report? Or the price of a
      "lifetime design building"? Is the building more valuable full or empty?

      Can we learn good judgment? That's Charles Dicken's Christmas Story about
      Scrooge, who did learn good judgment, thanks to visits by three ghosts of
      Christmas who scared him half to death.

      I think it's fair for me to write because you live openly, which is to
      say, as an example. We might emulate you. Or not. Your successes are
      proof of your good judgment. Your failures should have us question your
      judgment. You and Brittany are kind enough to share your failures.
      http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=451
      I dare to call attention to your disaster, your life caving in, your loss
      and our loss of your greatest asset, with the hope that you might salvage
      what you can, but also alert others to the dangers of your path.

      I challenge the currency of your ideas. You wrote, thoughtfully, that the
      only information worth preserving is physically incarnate, like your
      compressed earth block machine. I think you're wrong. I think your
      machine can't stand alone, but makes sense only in a culture where there
      are people who want to work, who know how to share, who dream to live
      together, who care about each other, all of which is more than just
      physical. Your failure is worth preserving if your notions are truly
      foolish and destructive.

      I believe that the caring vision of our future which Franz Nahrada shares
      and you make real, is alive because of you as a person, your dedication,
      resolve, willingness, creativity, appreciation, joy. Your meditation
      comes first, before your machines. Your love lights your hopes for all to
      see. We hold them real long before they are material. Your strength of
      character, your flexibility, sobriety, resilience, your well of caring,
      are the foundation which inspires me to build, and I think others
      likewise.

      We're working not just for ourselves, but for others. People around the
      world are already benefiting from what you're learning, both inspiration
      and practical advice. I think that we're building a house on sand unless
      we give priority, give deference to absolute truth - to God's point of
      view - wherever it might possibly be, and then to those grounded in truth,
      which is to say, independent thinkers who each have their own testimony,
      as you do, and live the truth, as you do, taking a stand, following
      through, and reflecting. You and Brittany and your well-being are key.

      If we might appreciate you and others, which is why I even write, then we
      might think further, how might we live together, in a village, that would
      nurture parents and children, help people find each other and fall in
      love, inspire each other with creative work, be there for each other in
      good times and bad times. What does it take to have such a village? Do
      we need to build it ourselves? Or can others build it for us? We might
      learn from you, but not much if you have no family.

      You might say that there are people around the world in great hardship
      whose plight is much more important than your personal life. You can ask,
      they are with us. I doubt they would want such a world at such a cost,
      whether you pay it or they.

      Marcin, I admire you. I want you to succeed. I admire Brittany, too.
      How might you admire us? How might we be real to you? What might we
      share? Can we invest in you and Brittany? and your relationship with us?
      and not simply your machines?

      I ride from campus to campus with Malcolm Duerod. He came to Bosnia
      because his wife Corah has a dream to minister to the Roma and start a
      pre-school for them http://www.romales.net I talked with Malcolm about
      Janet Feldman's wish for a greater sense of ownership in our work, a
      greater sense of "we". I told him that for me it's a matter of personal
      practice, of a few people bringing their money together for small projects
      which they share a stake in, or having a way for people to share news
      across their websites. I think the key mindset of our lab is "encouraging
      other people to use their best judgment" for we thereby appeal to others
      as independent thinkers, and so we create works in the Public Domain,
      without copyright, and we don't accept money to care, and we want
      absolutely all to succeed. Malcolm pointed out that many people have bad
      judgment. How might our lab help people learn good judgment? How might
      we help each other?

      Marcin, you and Brittany took the biggest step by having a life, and
      another big step by sharing your life. I join you to ask, can we take a
      look at your life? Can we question your outcome?

      Your success is a profound inspiration. Your reflection is a timeless
      treasure.

      Love,