Re: [holistichelping] $100 projects, let's start soon!

  • Jeff Buderer
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 20, 2008
      Andrius,

      My suggestion is to send the Knight Foundation a simple email asking what the problem is and how it can be rectified.

      But then the question is whether you are open to working with them. I suspect that they may have stopped communicating with you because they feel like you are not willing to work with them in terms of posting content that plays by the rules they have set out as part of the program. I am not saying their rules are right, but it is sometimes on a practical level best to go into a program/project in way that considers the culture and established practices. Otherwise this is the kind of outcome that we have to deal with. Possibly though we can consider this as some form of protest, but I am not sure what is the actual gain.

      I would encourage you to consider what might it be that is causing us to continue to struggle in seeking common ground as it seems that the gap is growing wider and not smaller. We can see that with the kind of dissent being created among progressives in the US as Obama firms up his Administration and as that admin seems very corporate and establishment in nature.

      For me what is important is that we create a dialog and a bridge between cultures, rather than constantly comparing and contrasting our different approaches. Possibly both approaches (a radical and more moderate compromising stance) are necessary.

      The reality is that we/you are not going to get the corporate world to instantly embrace your perspective and why would we expect that?

      Through your communications it seems you are seeking validation. Your not receiving it from these corporate types makes you more wanting to get it. I think we can all relate to that. Often we compare our work to others to compensate for a lack of validation by others. I have to say when I read that in your writing I have a negative reaction to that honestly, because I see it as not the kind of thinking that is very persuasive and compelling in terms of actually working with people effectively to build a better world.

      MS as an sole proprietorship has developed a very unique approach and it is worthy of study and further evaluation. However, I still have a problem with how you refer to WE when MS is a sole propreitorship and that is one reason why I stay in the background.

      I hope you appreciate and have a chance to reflect on my candid and dissenting view here.

      Thanks for all your efforts. No one can say you are not working hard to achieve your dream and vision of a better world.

      Jeff

      On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:

      I'm ready and willing to do some $100 projects...

      Wendi Loshe Bernadette and Janet Feldman, please, before I send the money,
      could you each state:
      * what might you like to learn from this project, that you don't know
      already?

      Peter Ongele, please find a partner who would work for free to engage you
      at Mendenyo - it could be Graham Knight, Dan Otedo, Peter Burgess, Kennedy
      Owino, etc. And then please each of you answer the same question:
      * what might you like to learn from this project, that you don't know
      already?

      Fred Kayiwa and Benoit Couture, I'd like to send Fred $100 so he might
      support you, Benoit, in looking for local partners in Edmonton, Alberta,
      Canada. Might we do that, Benoit? And then the same question:
      * what might you like to learn from this project, that you don't know
      already?

      Others are invited to suggest your projects, although I don't know how
      much more money I will have. I should know next week if the university
      will have me teach math part-time or not at all.

      Also, I have been blocked by the Knight Foundation from writing any more
      at the PBS Idealab website because I was writing about my and our personal
      stories - and I openly shared their letter to me in my "Do-Gooders" post
      http://www.includer.org/?p=302 and Gary Kebbel and Mark Glaser chose not
      to edit, delete or censor but simply to lock me out of the system. Mark
      wrote that I could blog at my own blog (yes, the First Ammendment) but I
      haven't heard yet whether they will honor their contract and pay me the
      final payment $7,100 if I do that. Gary Kebbel hasn't responded to my
      letters. I don't know why this has all happened, but only suppose that
      our lives are "too real". Maybe I'll learn more, and I'll keep blogging.
      I didn't seem to have any readers at the website, nor do the other
      bloggers there, for that matter.

      So I'm looking for work! hopefully from Lithuania.

      Thank you!

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 21, 2008
        Dear All,

        Greatest thanks to Andrius for mentioning his recent experiences with the
        Knight Foundation, and for responses by Jeff and Franz. There is much here
        that needs to be discussed and addressed, and I suggest that we do that in
        January in these forums (and possibly also other channels in tandem,
        including a private track, among our interested members).

        Many of these issues have been brought up before, including earlier this
        year, during our peace project. It seems clear that we do need to find ways
        to be a "we", working together as peers (individual stakeholders) and as an
        entity (group)--and also in conjunction with others not in our
        network--while continuing to focus on the "I" involved in independent
        thinking.

        Questions and challenges related to "ownership" are also vital to discuss
        and resolve, if not for all time, at least for this time in our collective
        growth. We may need to investigate how and whether we can work as an
        incorporated collective, in tandem with Minciu Sodas as an entity, if
        Andrius wants to maintain "sole proprietorship" of MS itself.

        I say this because I think some of us would like to see an expanded feeling
        and actuality of "ownership" and stakeholding for our collective work than
        is possible with singular ownership of the entity within which that work is
        now taking place. Interestingly, this is an issue that revolves around
        "inclusion": how that is defined in theory and structured in actuality.

        It is an appropriate time in the growth and development of our network--let
        alone our "family"--to address these concerns, issues, and challenges, and I
        for one am excited abt the creative possibilities and sharing that will
        hopefully take place to move us forward.

        For now, happiest holidays to all, and to constructive communications in
        2009! Love, Janet

> [...]
        > disruptive element that keeps things alive and prevents us from going into
        > wrong directions? I think it is really a question of balance and dose. In
        > the case of the Includer and the great opportunity to blog -
        > http://www.pbs.org/idealab/author/andrius_kulikauskas_1/ - , at least 50
        > percent should have been about the technical progress of a
        > mass-produceable offline Internet connector. The Includer became a merely
        > symbolic term in the course of the blog posts. The coherence of the story
        > was lost. My conclusion is: Instead of overdoing one thing, we always
        > should look for the weakest element in our balance. Otherwise, the whole
        > Minciu Sodas approach related so much to the personal qualities and
        > integrity of one person will fail. Maybe it is our responsibility as
        > friends to raise concern before the consequences of a mistake must be

      • ACTWID KONGADZEM
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 23, 2008
          Dear Janet, Andrius and all,
          Thank you all for the feedback you have given all of
          us on the Knight Foundation and other issues.
          We have read all the contributions made and we can say
          that we agree too with contributions from Janet,
          Franz, Jeff and Peter have said.
          We thank all of you for the openness and pray that all
          of us should use these holidays to reflect peacefully
          and sink any differences that might have existed
          since this period is also a good time for
          Reconciliation, so that we can come back in January
          2009 powerfully with a lot of energy and refreshed
          minds for the best way forward for M.s.Lab and all
          its activities.
          While wishing you a Merry Xmas and a Happy New
          Year,we are ACTWID KONGADZEM members in Cameroon led
          by Wendi .

          === message truncated ===