Welcome to New Members!/logical framework for Sam/Charles

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2006
      Dear Sam, Jeff, and All New Subscribers to Holistic Helping!
      I wanted to write to welcome the newcomers, who have been recruited by Sam during the Africa Source II conference. I recognize a few of the organizations some of you are connected with--Baobab Women, Masks, WOUGNET--and it's great to have you on board, as well as everyone else!
      The forum "Holistic Helping" will be working on "help" projects--such as for Sam and the Udogo Youth Development nonprofit--and at the same time addressing questions and issues about what the concept of "helping" entails, what that means for the various parties involved, the various kinds of help which can be given, and what we can do to help both ourselves and others.
      We have been discussing with Sam an income-generation project or two, as well as a literacy project, and issues/activities related to computer literacy, getting equipment, FOSS, and the like. I see a posting today from Charles on the FOSS conference in Nairobi in abt a week, which I had posted about here last week too.
      Charles, I hope you'll be able to tell us more abt it, and also help Samwel as you are able in terms of linking him with FOSS-related activities and know-how.  Also, could you post for all of us your "proposal prototype to implement ICTs in resource centers"?  And what does "TLC" mean in this context?  We use that expression to mean "tender loving care", haha!!  I imagine your reference is to some sort of "technology-mediated learning center" instead.
      Sam (and all), below is KAIPPG's first GenARDIS proposal, which shows you a very simple "logical framework" (the info in boxes). Some of them are much more detailed, and I can send you one of those if that would be helpful (with more boxes for the months/years and activities). This below was a grant application, which was successful, as was a second last year, which augmented our activities and has allowed us to reach about 1000 women. The second round of the program is being administered by WOUGNET, in fact!
      I believe that Jeff has written too, so I will address that soon, and thanks for your interest and help, Jeff!! And thanks to all here too! With very best wishes and looking forward to working together, Janet

      GenARDIS Application Form

      Part 1: Information About You and Your Organization

       1.      Name:  James Onyango, Executive Director, KAIPPG/Kenya

      Project Advisors: Sarah Haslegrave (Kenya), Janet Feldman (USA), Maria Corazon de la Paz (Philippines)

      2. Organization:  Kenya AIDS Intervention Prevention Project Group (KAIPPG)

      3. Your address: P.O. Box 2448, Kakamega, Kenya 50100

      Office Tel: +254-056-641004

      Email: kaippg@...

      Website: www.kaippg.org

      Part 2: Describe the Project You Propose to Address Gender in ICTs for ACP Agricultural and Rural Development

      4.  Title of the proposed project:  Health and Agriculture Community Radio Network Project

      5. Describe the PROBLEM and WHY it is URGENT.

      The majority of Kenyans live in rural areas and 80% of the country�s population depends on agriculture for its livelihoods. In Western Kenya, malnutrition rate stands at 34% and in Kenya as a whole 700 people a day are dying of HIV/AIDS complications. Given the fact that many of these deaths occur among poor farmers who in most cases are rural women, there is an urgent need to address the link between poverty, food insecurity, and poor health (not restricted to HIV/AIDS but including other common health concerns such as malaria, and diarrhea) from a gender perspective.

      Women, who make up the major proportion of rural farmers in Kenya, are often marginalized in terms of access to credit and education, to land/property ownership and to the types of equipment and expertise that would make them more successful as farmers. Inadequate infrastructure, poor research and extension linkages, and dependency on rain-fed crops present further challenges. Poor infrastructure hampers productivity and environmental degradation means that the land will not produce the necessary nutritional intake to establish or enhance food security.

      Adding to these difficulties is the fact that many women are increasingly becoming AIDS widows and are therefore the sole caretakers of their families. It is in this context that there is an urgent need to empower rural women through awareness �raising, education and skills training, and income generation.

      In year 2001, KAIPPG established a nutrition program, which has proven very successful to date. The program, which focuses on poor rural women, addresses aspects of food security, nutrition, and crop husbandry through a holistic approach. Most of this population is affected by HIV/AIDS in some way,  so care, education, and prevention activities are an integral part of the program. Currently we have 6 nutritional field schools made up of 15-30 members, the majority of whom are women. The purpose of these schools is to empower the farmers economically and socially by providing farm inputs along with training (jointly facilitated by the local Ministry of Agriculture) on relevant skills and techniques to allow them to maximize crop harvests.

      To date 105 farmers have been trained and we would like to expand this project by increasing the number of field schools as well as disseminating information between field schools via the use of radio cassette players and participatory theatre. Information exchanged could include the specifics of indigenous farming technology and the marketing of agricultural products, how to manage their own businesses, leadership skills, and how to ensure an education for themselves and their children. The listening groups will also provide a forum through which community members can express themselves, and develop a collective voice to advocate for community needs.

      6. Identify the major activities of the proposed project and indicate the expected date of completion for each activity. (i.e., describe how a one-time small grant of 5,000 Euro would be used).

      KAIPPG intends to use ICT--particularly information about agricultural techniques--to address the linkage between HIV/AIDS, gender, and food security.

      Initially, members of the field schools will be organized into �listening groups.� Each group will go through the normal nutritional field school participatory learning process, using professional facilitators from KAIPPG and the Ministry of Health. Each group will prepare and record a presentation, song, poem, or role-play on a topic relevant to their group which can then be exchanged with cassettes from other groups. This participatory drama and theater approach will ensure that the less literate women, who will form the majority of the target group, will be actively involved in the learning process and are able to disseminate similar technology to the wider community by the end of the project period.

      Given the fact that most of the communities where KAIPPG works do not have electricity or telephone lines, the use of radios in the production and dissemination of agricultural and nutritional information is both practical and affordable (a recording system and microphone can be purchased for approximately Euros 500).  We will also hope to include a storytelling element as a communication tool, wherein women may supplement the recording activities with live theater performances. Dramas might also be considered for radio broadcast, this being part of the next phase of the project.

      Following the organization of groups and the purchasing of equipment (radio cassette players, cassettes, and batteries) each group will select 3 members to attend a training workshop on participatory communication techniques including the use of drama, song, storytelling, and poetry. Trainees will also be shown how to use equipment and have time to work on preparing presentations and discussion within the plenary.

      Date of completion

      Organization of listening groups and selection of group leaders.

      June 30th 2003

      Purchasing of supplies and equipment

      July 15th 2003

      Training workshop

      August 15th 2003

      Production of first cassette by each group

      Exchange of cassettes

      September/October 2003

      Follow-up assessment and additional training

      November 2003. Additional training from January 2004

      Following the workshop group leaders would be given time to share what they have learned with their group and begin identification of a topic for the first cassette. Groups will be encouraged to consult the wider community prior to selection.

      The production of cassettes will initially be done using technical assistance from local experts. The experts will then train at least one member from each listening group on production techniques so that subsequently each group should be able to produce its own taped cassettes. Once the cassettes are completed they will be exchanged among the 6 groups. Groups will then have the opportunity to discuss what they have learned and even document it for replication elsewhere in Western Kenya or country-wide. Communication will be encouraged between groups through field exchange visits and using mobile phones.

      One mobile phone will be bought for each of the 6 groups to facilitate the communication.  The process will also be documented using a video camera, so tapes can be distributed to other NGOs and CBOs interested in ICT, leading to replication of the project for wider dissemination.

      The final stage of the project would involve monitoring and evaluating the project's progress and using lessons learned to expand the program and consider other ways to disseminate the information. Cassettes and other material produced (i.e., in written form) would need to be catalogued and made available to other community members.

      Describe how a one-time grant of Euros 5,000 would be used:

      Total Cost (in Euros)

      1. Supplies: Recording machine

      Radios x 6

      Cassettes, batteries

      Mobile phones x 6

      Total Section 1

      2. Training

      Residential Workshop (22 people for 6 days)

      Facilitators x 2 for 4 days

      Total Section 2

      3. Transport (Community visits, monitoring and evaluation)

      Total Section 3

      4. Technical Assistance

      Supplies (Notepads, Pens, Folders etc)

      Total of Section 4

      5. Cataloging Information

      Development of small resource center

      Total Section 5

      Motivation allowance for group leaders

      Contingency at 4%

      Total of all sections plus contingency

      Euros 4966

      7. Describe who is expected to benefit as a result of this project. Explain the intended impact of the project.

      The project will directly involve about 120 people via the listening groups. As mentioned above most of the beneficiaries will be women generally infected/affected by HIV/AIDS, either as an AIDS widow or the guardian of an orphan, or both. Through the use of radio cassette players and the formation of listening groups it is hoped that many more people will access information and apply it on their farms, in their businesses, and in their everyday lives. However, we expect women and girls to be the primary recipients of this information, which will lead to their empowerment in terms of knowledge and social recognition.

      The intended impact of the project is to empower poor rural women by increasing their access to information (particularly as it relates to agriculture and health)--thereby reducing their vulnerability to poverty, hunger, and disease--and giving them the knowledge to make better decisions and the skills to advocate for themselves, their families, and communities.  Therefore, the project intends to create an enabling environment for women to improve their livelihood opportunities and quality of life. The project will also aim to catalogue locally relevant information--in the local language wherever possible--produced by and for women farmers in particular.

      The distribution of mobile phones is intended to facilitate communication between group leaders and communities, and encourage networking. Members can keep in touch this way and even discuss and plan their own activities. Women can organize themselves locally and make their voices heard at the national level. They can also advocate for community needs such as better healthcare, roads, and transportation, reliable sources of electricity, and access to education and credit.

      It is anticipated that a second phase of the project would include an expanded component of health and literacy. KAIPPG would also like to seek funding for a video camera and a generator, which could be used in conjunction with the television and VCR that the office currently owns. This would enable filming of dramas that the groups produce, to be distributed throughout the local communities and perhaps further afield.

      We envision this project to be the initial foundation for incorporating ICTs into all aspects of our work at KAIPPG through the sharing of ideas, dissemination of information, and--where possible replication--of successful programs.