Breaking news update: Bunge la Mwananchi member now arrested off presidential dais

  • George Nyongesa
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2008
      Dear Kenyans and friends of Kenya,

      Frederick Odhiambo, a member of Bunge la Mwananchi, has just been arrested, being aggressively bundled off the presidential dais as the President hastily ended his Jamhuri Day speech and left the Nyayo Stadium. Members of the president's security detail descended on him and mercilessly carried him off, covering his mouth in order that he could not be heard.

      Frederick was attempting to present a petition from grassroot Kenyans to the President outlining the need to address the food plight, the importance of MPs taxation, the requirement for government regulation of escalating prices of basic commodities and fuel prices, implementation of the Waki report and upholding the freedom of press and information.

      Meanwhile, 40 other Bunge la Mwananchi members have also been arrested and taken to among others Buruburu, Industrial Area and Central police stations.

      We are following up all these and will continue to keep you updated.

      I urge you to stand in solidarity with all those arrested as we fight against the culture of impunity in Kenya and the democracy we have fought so hard for.

      Your assistance in any of the areas of legal representation, cash bail money required for release from custody, lobbying for immediate release of those arrested, continued vigilance and visiting those arrested in a show of solidarity are most welcome.

      George Nyongesa
      Bunge la Mwananchi
      +254 720 451 235
      Skype: mwananchimzalendo

      Bunge la Mwananchi is a social movement and a member of the Kenya National Civil Society Congress

      From: George Nyongesa <grnyongesa@...>
      Subject: Breaking news: Caroline Mutoko, Mwalimu Mati, 60 others arrested at Nyayo Stadium
      To: grnyongesa@...
      Date: Friday, December 12, 2008, 10:16 AM

      Dear Kenyans and friends of Kenya,

      Caroline Mutoko of Kiss FM and Mwalimu Mati of Mars Group Kenya have this morning been arrested at the Nyayo National Stadium, Nairobi. The two have been taken to the Langata police station. 60 other Kenyans are also being bundled into waiting police vehicles and it appears that it is planned to distribute those arrested in various police stations across the city.

      The 62 are part of a larger group of Kenyans that had gone to attend the national event at the Nyayo National Stadium as we mark Jamhuri Day today and use the forum to address our leaders, making the Kenyan citizen’s grievances heard.

      They were all wearing black T Shirts with the message “No Tax for MPs, No Tax for Us” which is part of the campaign being run in conjunction with Kenyans who care and university students to protest against MPs refusal to pay tax.

      The black T Shirt campaign forms part of a larger campaign where Kenyans have over the past few days held demonstrations, rallies, boycotts as they are protesting against the ongoing food crisis, the escalating prices of basic commodities, the high price of fuel and the MPs culture of impunity.

      The urgent help required is:

      ü   legal representation,

      ü   cash bail for each person arrested,

      ü   tracing and visiting all the arrested at the various police stations where they have been taken,

      ü   lobbying for their immediate release, and

      ü   any other help you are able to render.

      I will keep you updated as I continue to receive updates.

      Let us all join together to keep up the pressure against the culture of impunity in Kenya and protect our hard earned rights that were so valiantly fought for by our independence heroes.

      Together in solidarity,

      George Nyongesa

      Bunge la Mwananchi

      +254 720 451 235