Breaking news: Caroline Mutoko, Mwalimu Mati, 60 others arrested at Nyayo Stadium

  • George Nyongesa
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2008

      Dear Kenyans and friends of Kenya,

      Caroline Mutoko of Kiss FM and Mwalimu Mati of Mars Group Kenya have this morning been arrested at the Nyayo National Stadium, Nairobi. The two have been taken to the Langata police station. 60 other Kenyans are also being bundled into waiting police vehicles and it appears that it is planned to distribute those arrested in various police stations across the city.

      The 62 are part of a larger group of Kenyans that had gone to attend the national event at the Nyayo National Stadium as we mark Jamhuri Day today and use the forum to address our leaders, making the Kenyan citizen’s grievances heard.

      They were all wearing black T Shirts with the message “No Tax for MPs, No Tax for Us” which is part of the campaign being run in conjunction with Kenyans who care and university students to protest against MPs refusal to pay tax.

      The black T Shirt campaign forms part of a larger campaign where Kenyans have over the past few days held demonstrations, rallies, boycotts as they are protesting against the ongoing food crisis, the escalating prices of basic commodities, the high price of fuel and the MPs culture of impunity.

      The urgent help required is:

      ü   legal representation,

      ü   cash bail for each person arrested,

      ü   tracing and visiting all the arrested at the various police stations where they have been taken,

      ü   lobbying for their immediate release, and

      ü   any other help you are able to render.

      I will keep you updated as I continue to receive updates.

      Let us all join together to keep up the pressure against the culture of impunity in Kenya and protect our hard earned rights that were so valiantly fought for by our independence heroes.

      Together in solidarity,

      George Nyongesa

      Bunge la Mwananchi

      +254 720 451 235

      Website: www.bulamwa.co.ke

      Email: mwananchibunge@...

      Skype: mwananchimzalendo

      Bunge la Mwananchi is a social movement and a member of the Kenya National Civil Society Congress