Re: Ending malaria as a volume of thinking and research!

  • graham
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 11, 2008
      Dear Andrius and others,

      I have already started making arrangements to test solar-powered fans with Peter.
      I imagine it would be best to have someone on the spot to do any co-ordination, etc
      with other experiments.

      It might be useful to test pepper but from what I have read it is
      extremely difficult to research malaria as there are so many many factors to be
      considered!

      Graham

      Peter Burgess, Graham Knight,

      Would one or both of you be willing to partner with Peter Ongele on a
      malaria related $100 project which I might sponsor (perhaps reviewing the
      data they have collected, or trying out peppers as an insecticide, or
      trying out solar powered fans?)

      Perhaps one of our Africans might be Peter's partner? That's possible as
      well. We simply need somebody interested and willing to exchange letters
      in our groups so that we can all see the progress of Peter's explorations.

      Thank you all for your letters!

      http://www.ms. lt
      ms@...

      http://www.ms. lt
      ms@...
      +1 312 618 3345

    • Samwel Kongere
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 11, 2008
        Yes inclusive to all,
        Immense thanks to all your suggestions and mails.
        There are laws and regulations regarding research
        findings and putting them in the public domain is a
        breach of this. I know of these standards and giving
        these data to a third party will mean you are taking
        risks against rules laid by WHO and scientists. Most
        of the questionaires are confidential. The only
        acceptable language here is % and degrees. There are
        also other measures which must be adhered to. I dearly
        agree with Graham.
        Have a thoughtful week! Samwel.

        === message truncated ===

      • Kennedy Owino
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 11, 2008
          Dear all,

          I am happy about the discussion gaining momentum here and hope that our thoughts will provide certain solutions.
          Thanks Tom, Dennis and Dan for your views.
          Ricardo, you asked what type of pepper my Grand Ma used.
          It was a Red pepper (not round but finger shaped)- i cant find appropriate word to describe it.

          Peter Burgess says,
           "There are many questions ... essentially a lot of little questions
          > that give data ... and the data will give answers. My hope is that one
          > of these days we will start to be collecting the dots in a coherent
          > way so that it becomes easy to connect the dots and get the right best
          > answer"
          Peter further asks what Malaria used to be like before the advent of bed nets in Kenya and how it is now.
          Another question may be, Why is there still wide spread cases of malaria in Kenya, particularly around the Lake Victoria region yet there has been massive campaigns and mosquito nets distribution?

          My attention was drawn to a particular publication in one of today's dailies touching on the topic of Malaria.
          It said that , a study conducted by Maseno University, Nagasaki University of Japan, and I.C.P.E also published in Malaria Journal (http://www.malariajournal.com/) revealed sad findings in Nyanza Province of Kenya (around lake Victoria) that hampers the fight against malaria.
          There is wide spread misuse of bed nets, Bed nets intended for bedrooms end up on the fishing beaches.
          Poor fisher men who can not afford fishing nets use new distributed bed nets to fish and also they have opted to dry small fish (omena) on the nets.
          The emerging trend is mostly happening in Luanda Beaches of Sondo District.
          This is raising concerns among the public Health experts and the Fisheries Department.
          The habbit reverses the gains already made in fighting against malaria, the misuse also poses a risk to the fish stocks.
          The District has received a sabstantial number of nets from the Goverment and N.G.O's.
          This year alone over 20,000 pieces were distributed.
          More stastistics can be found  at http://www.malariajournal.com/

          The big question here is, Do you think Poverty and Ignorance also hampers efforts to contain Malaria?
          How can we reverse the trends where Bed nets end up being misused?

          All the best in our positive quests,

          Ken Owino
          Nafsi Africa Acrobats
          www.nafsiafrica.org
          +254723568251

> [...]

          > because of
          > > Celebral Malarial infection he got while on vaccation in Tanzania.
          > > He was quickly evacuated to Nairobi, he was on support unit and
          > urgently
          > > required blood platellets (if that is the right spelling).
          > > At first he was wrongly diagnosed to be suuffering from typhoid, it
          > was
          > > serious , his parents flew in from the States and evenually he had to
          > be
          > > flown out to seek proper treatment in America.
          > > Anyway, this shows how serious this may be not only to people living
          > in
          > > Africa but also to visitors and tourists as well.
          > >
          > > I laud and support your point- Ending malaria as a volume of thinking
          > and
          > > research- but most of the solutions lies with us, just a little bit of

          http://www.ms. lt
          ms@...
          +1 312 618 3345

        • tom ochuka
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 11, 2008
            Dear Kenn,
              Thanks for this we really need to see the best way and easier,affordable way of doing it,there is also the house people live ,some have no windows or very tiny windows with no light this too keep mosquitoes inside then waiting for the bllod to such at night once they are in the houses they dont go out,our grandmother used pepper and also sending them away by wavingarround the blanket before going to bed .
            Because one house was futher tahn the other.
            Houses are congested and families atre big....can we satr by educating the comunty on the dangers and prevention actually treating malaria is very costy and after treatmnet it leaves one actually with only some percentage of recovery you cant be the real you.
            Thats why Kenns friend left for another country.
            Kenn tahnks for your brilliant ideas ,Malaria in kericho is different from what we have in kisumu,ot and cold places.
            Nets must also be trated regularly and this require REAL NETS..Not just ones taht will tearout in one sleep.
            There is too aneed to cover water containers and bring preventive medicine.
            I WANT TO CONTINUE IN THIS DISCUSSION..Andrius what do you think?CAN 100 dollars
            do this?
            Thanks.
            TOM OCHUKA.

> [...]

            > because of
            > > Celebral Malarial infection he got while on vaccation in Tanzania.
            > > He was quickly evacuated to Nairobi, he was on support unit and
            > urgently
            > > required blood platellets (if that is the right spelling).
            > > At first he was wrongly diagnosed to be suuffering from typhoid, it
            > was
            > > serious , his parents flew in from the States and evenually he had to
            > be
            > > flown out to seek proper treatment in America.
            > > Anyway, this shows how serious this may be not only to people living
            > in
            > > Africa but also to visitors and tourists as well.
            > >
            > > I laud and support your point- Ending malaria as a volume of thinking
            > and
            > > research- but most of the solutions lies with us, just a little bit of

            http://www.ms. lt
            ms@...
            +1 312 618 3345

          • Peter Burgess
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 12, 2008
              Dear Colleagues

              There are many studies over the years that show bednets reduce
              mortality from malaria, especially the mortality of young children and
              pregnant women. However, the best cases are a reduction in mortality
              of something in the range of 40% to 60% ... which means that there is
              still a lot of death arising from malaria ... not to mention a lot of
              death from other preventable childhood diseases.

              A best practice strategy is going to be one where available resources
              are used in the most cost effective way. The heavy focus on bednets is
              almost certainly not the most cost effective ... and now that a very
              large amount of money has been used in this manner, it is becoming
              clear that a strategy based on bednets is not working particularly
              well and is not going to be sustained by the donors for ever, and
              without donors, the malaria bednet program will die.

              A malaria management program should have a community focus and do what
              works in the community and is based on surveillance for entomological
              knowledge about the community, screening for medical information, and
              a full range of control interventions: medical treatment, source
              control, vector control and personal protection. The key is to get the
              malaria transmission rate to be very low and to keep it low. Malaria
              can be reduced rapidly ... but it comes back just as fast. This is a
              dynamic problem that needs day to day action to keep it under control.

              I like to contrast what is recommended for malaria in Africa where
              thousands of children die every day from malaria with the control of
              West Nile Virus in the USA where the potential for death is big, but
              the actual death is perhaps 40 (???) a year.

              From what I am learning IRS and source control (larvaciding) should be
              a big part of malaria management best practice. They seem to be much
              more cost effective than bednets ... where effectiveness is the
              reduction in the malaria burden in society.

              Sadly ... data are not flowing ... and data based analysis is
              difficult. Opinion is not a good basis for decision making.

              Sincerely

              Peter
              ____________
              Peter Burgess
              The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
              www.tr-ac-net.org
              Community Accountancy
              Integrated Malaria Management Consortium (IMMC)
              917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@...

              On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Kennedy Owino
              <nafsiafricaacro@...> wrote:
              > Dear all,
              >
              > I am happy about the discussion gaining momentum here and hope that our thoughts will provide certain solutions.
              > Thanks Tom, Dennis and Dan for your views.
              > Ricardo, you asked what type of pepper my Grand Ma used.
              > It was a Red pepper (not round but finger shaped)- i cant find appropriate word to describe it.
              >
              > Peter Burgess says,
              > "There are many questions ... essentially a lot of little questions that give data ... and the data will give answers. My hope is that one of these days we will start to be collecting the dots in a coherent way so that it becomes easy to connect the dots and get the right best answer"
              > Peter further asks what Malaria used to be like before the advent of bed nets in Kenya and how it is now.

              > Another question may be, Why is there still wide spread cases of malaria in Kenya, particularly around the Lake Victoria region yet there has been massive campaigns and mosquito nets distribution?
              >
              > My attention was drawn to a particular publication in one of today's dailies touching on the topic of Malaria.

              > It said that , a study conducted by Maseno University, Nagasaki University of Japan, and I.C.P.E also published in Malaria Journal (http://www.malariajournal.com/) revealed sad findings in Nyanza Province of
              Kenya (around lake Victoria) that hampers the fight against malaria.

              > There is wide spread misuse of bed nets, Bed nets intended for bedrooms end up on the fishing beaches.
              Poor fisher men who can not afford fishing nets use new distributed
              bed nets to fish and also they have opted to dry small fish (omena) on
              the nets.

              > The emerging trend is mostly happening in Luanda Beaches of Sondo District. This is raising concerns among the public Health experts and the Fisheries Department.

              > The habit reverses the gains already made in fighting against malaria, the misuse also poses a risk to the fish stocks.

              > The District has received a substantial number of nets from the Goverment and N.G.O's. This year alone over 20,000 pieces were distributed. More stastistics can be found at http://www.malariajournal.com/
              >
              > The big question here is, Do you think Poverty and Ignorance also hampers efforts to contain Malaria?

              > How can we reverse the trends where Bed nets end up being misused?

              > All the best in our positive quests,

              > Ken Owino
              > Nafsi Africa Acrobats
              > www.nafsiafrica.org
              > +254723568251
            • Mark Roest
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 13, 2008
                Dear all,

                The misuse of bednets helps to show that we need to look at the whole pattern of how we live, what nature and our work and culture demand, and how we might respond to all of that.

                We should ask some questions in the community; call people together for meetings and ask:
                what other needs do we have that nets that are not treated with chemicals can serve?
                do we have a balanced, nutritious diet? if not, have we stopped growing and eating some plants our ancestors used to eat? have we changed our diet in other ways?
                do the traditional herbal healers use any plants that we could grow for everyone to use to increase resistance to malaria, to help manage or cure it, or to drive mosquitos away (like pepper) or kill them or their larvae, with their guidance?
                where do the mosquitos grow? (make a map, and ask everyone in the community contribute any sightings of mosquito larvae, and of water that might harbor mosquito larvae)
                are there any fish that eat mosquitos or their larvae that are native to the rivers, creeks, swamps, or pools outside Lake Victoria?
                are there any fish that eat mosquitos or their larvae that are native to the different parts of the Lake?
                what are some of the other, non-malaria problems we face?
                for instance, are people spending lots of time gathering wood, making charcoal, or other tasks related to cooking food and boiling water? could we set up a business making solar cookers to reduce that effort?
                how might we solve some of them?
                the idea here is to think in terms of how things fit together into patterns or systems, and to find solutions to problems that fit the patterns and help in many ways. Those solutions may be obvious if you look, or they may come from the elders, or from the ancestors, or if they are still missing, from people around the world who are looking at how to live in harmony with nature and glad to share what they find.

                Here is a major training resource for community planning. What I discuss above are some of the questions you can follow in a community planning effort, to direct it efficiently. Also, look at www.col.org, and explore their resources for education and sustainability. They have a web bibliography with a million links devoted mostly to these topics, and they now have it indexed with Google.
                1. The National Charrette Institute

                  The National Charrette Institute (NCI) is an IRS 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational institution. We teach the transformative process of Dynamic Planning to ...
                  www.charretteinstitute.org/ - 14k -Cached - Similar pages -
                  More results from charretteinstitute.org »
                2. The NCI Charrette System

                  The NCI charrette is a collaborative planning process that harnesses the talents and energies of all interested parties to create and support a feasible ...
                  www.charretteinstitute.org/charrette.html - 23k -Cached - Similar pages -

                NCI Charrette System

                The NCI Charrette System (formerly called NCI Dynamic Planning) is a design-based, accelerated, collaborative project management system for all aspects of community planning including sustainable community plans, regional/comprehensive plans, transportation/infrastructure plans, and development plans. It is a proven, flexible, three-step framework that can be customized for your project.

                Benefits of the NCI Charrette System

                Compared to conventional planning processes that take years of endless meetings, the NCI Charrette System:

                Saves time and money through
                Time-compressed design sessions
                Reduced rework through short design feedback loops
                Broad support from citizens, professionals, and staff

                Increases probability for implementation through
                Multi-disciplinary teamwork
                Early focus on engineering and finance
                Bringing all decision makers together for a compressed period of time

                Promotes trust between citizens and government through
                Meaningful public involvement and education

                Applications of the NCI Charrette System

                The NCI Charrette System is a flexible, three-phase, project management system for public and private planners, designers, architects, developers and community activist to use for:
                Sustainable community and building design
                Regional and comprehensive planning
                Master planning
                Transportation/infrastructure planning
                Code/policy writing

                and I would add, designing a sustainable economy that is prosperous without waste or greed.

                Tools and Resources

                Links to Relevant Sites:
                links to related charrette, planning, public involvement and various sustainable growth resources

                NCI Resources Free for Download:

                *NEW*
                NCI Charrette Request for Proposals (RFP)
                NCI has developed the first model Request for Proposals (RFP), a general guide for the procurement of services relating to a community planning project that includes a NCI charrette.

                An Introduction to Charrettes
                by Bill Lennertz and Aarin Lutzenhiser for the Planning Commissioner's Journal
                Also, see the PCJ charrette resources page

                The Charrette Process as an Agent for Change
                by Bill Lennertz for the New Urban News

                "NCI Charrette Planner Training in Practice: The US EPA Smart Growth Implementation Assistance Program"
                This article by Ilana Preuss of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency describes the US EPA Smart Groth Implementation Assistance Program.

                Scripted PowerPoint Presentation for Download from The National Association of REALTORS®
                This PowerPoint presentation, which includes both slides and a script, describes what a charrette is and how it can be used to improve the planning process in your community. It was produced for the National Association of REALTORS® by the National Charrette Institute, and can be used for self-instruction, or as a presentation to others.

                "Charrettes 101" Fannie Mae Foundation Building Blocks issue by Bill Lennertz and Aarin Lutzenhiser of NCI
                An introduction to NCI Dynamic Planning and charrettes.
                Download Summer 2003 — Volume 4 Issue 1

                NCI Cross-disciplinary Public Involvement Report
                Sponsored by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, this is the final report on the NCI cross-disciplinary forum on public involvement best practices. It includes a literature review, expert papers presented at the forum, forum findings on key challenges and solutions, and project process examples.

                NCI Educational Products for Sale:

                NCI Charrette Handbook Cover
                The Charrette Handbook
                By Bill Lennertz and Aarin Lutzenhiser, The Charrette Handbook is the first comprehensive step-by-step guide for how to plan and hold a successful charrette.

                NCI Charrettes CD coverNCI Charrettes on CD-ROM
                An Introduction to Accelerated Collaborative Planning, NCI Charrettes is an introduction for anyone interested in how to create win-win community planning solutions.

                *NEW* The NCI Charrette Planner Forms Kit™ & The NCI Charrette Manager Forms Kit on CD-ROM NCI Charrette Planner Forms Kit NCI Charrette Manager Forms Kit
                These CD-ROMs contain a complete set of electronic forms and checklists, providing a step-by-step framework and making it easy to apply all of the NCI Dynamic Planning tools and techniques to your project.

                Also, consider joining forces with oneVillage Foundation to work with the Open Digital Village and oneVillage Initiative concepts; you can contact Joy@..., and Kafui@.... That can empower the community organizing process.

                Mark Roest

                http://www.ms. lt
                ms@...
                +1 312 618 3345

              • charles kilel
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 14, 2008
                  Yes I am interested. malaria is a major killer in Africa and anything that can be done to allevite suffuring would be most welcome. Please let me know what you need me to do to help.

                  Thanks
                  Charles Kilel
                  Kercho, Kenya.
                  +254272281419

                  http://www.ms. lt
                  ms@...
                  +1 312 618 3345

                • graham
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 15, 2008
                    Dear All,

                    I have now prepared a preliminary document which includes the following.
                    " Sleeping under a bed net is nearly impossible during torrid
                    African nights, says Nigerian journalist Omololu Falobi. Use the net anyway,
                    and you get heat rashes all over your face and body."

                    The cost of producing a very tiny ventilation breeze is just a few dollars but
                    whether much more would really be necessary is unknown.

                    We have found that some people are unable to download pdf documents,
                    whether due to cost or bad connections, but it is essential to be able to send
                    you diagrams as well as text.
                    This program can be downloaded from http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

                    Those who wish to download the first document should email me at

                    Graham

                    http://www.ms. lt
                    ms@...
                    +1 312 618 3345