Re: [holistichelping] Re: [mendenyo] Ending malaria as a volume of thinking and research!

  • graham
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 11 12:59 AM
      Dear All,
      I know next to nothing about malaria but I did a short investigation some years
      ago as I had read that bed nets are often ineffective.
      Not because mosquitoes get through the netting but because the 'climate' under
      a net can be so appalling that many, especially children, rather remove the net and
      risk the consequences.
      A recent googling shows this is still widely reported.
      In consequence I tried to find people interested in using pv solar-powered fans
      but only now have I found someone, Peter Ongele, who is interested in testing
      this possibility!

      Dear Colleagues

      I am delighted that this malaria conversation is moving ahead.

      There is a huge body of knowledge about malaria ... and most people
      are only accessing a very small bit of it. One of the challenges is to
      *manage* this vast knowledge resource and do things that work.

      I see the goal as being to reduce the burden of malaria in the area as
      fast as possible and at as low cost as possible. In order to manage
      this there is a need to figure out what works and what does not.

      As I understand it, insecticide treated bednets have been distributed
      in the area ... but malaria persists. Why is this? Is this a fact, or
      part of a fact? There are some questions that need to get answered:
      .... how many bednets were distributed and when?
      .... how many in the area population? How many bednets per person ...
      per household?
      .... what was the malaria like before bednets? What is it like after bednets?
      .... are bednets being used?

      If there is a health clinic (or clinics) in the area ... what are the
      month by month cases of malaria? Is the number going up or down? What
      about seasonality? What about rainfall and temperature and humidity?

      Under 5 child mortality and pregnant women (PW) are vulnerable to
      malaria mortality. Any changes over time for under 5 and PW mortality.

      Is there any change in the prevalence of malaria parasites in the
      human population? Is this being measured at the clinic or clinics?
      What methods are being used.

      Is there any source control of the mosquitoes? What is being done?

      Is there any change in mosquito population? Are there any mosquito
      traps? How many? Where are they? What results? Is there daily data ...
      or weekly? How does this look month by month?

      Is there any change in the prevalence of malaria in the mosquito
      population? Who is measuring this?

      Is interior residual spraying (IRS) being used? What chemical is being
      used? What spray rates? When is it being done?

      There are many questions ... essentially a lot of little questions
      that give data ... and the data will give answers. My hope is that one
      of these days we will start to be collecting the dots in a coherent
      way so that it becomes easy to connect the dots and get the right best

      But before that will happen, there is one last set of data. How much
      do things cost? How can everything that needs to be done be done in
      the least cost manner (this is cost efficiency). At the same time,
      least cost is not the ultimate goal ... most cost effective is the
      goal ... what activities give the biggest reduction in the burden of

      This is a multi-variate problem ... not easy to get a perfect answer
      ... but quite easy to get something a lot better than what has
      prevailed in the past.

      Hope this is helpful ... I realize that I should have been more
      helpful over the past weeks and months ... but I am trying to pull
      together a response to the WHO Global Malaria Action Plan (WHO-GMAP)
      using what we refer to as Integrated Malaria Management Best Practice
      (IMM-BP). My hope is this will help to move the focus of malaria
      control activities from Washington and Geneva to the African Community
      and the local professionals who are most engaged and concerned about
      progress ... and at the same time be a good basis for ongoing
      financial support for malaria control even though the capital markets
      have imploded.

      Peter Burgess