Re: [holistichelping] Re: [mendenyo] Ending malaria as a volume of thinking and research!

  • Denis Kimambo
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 10, 2008
      Dear Peter and all

      I am also drawn to this conversation especially the fact that starting next year our organization will be doing more outreaches specifically on malaria, this is after the report that more abortions are happening at the District hospital due to this.

      Malaria is part of the biggest challenges facing us here despite frequent advertisement by the government to try and cub this is not working, one of the things we have found out is that he lack of water in most of the slum areas is a  cause to this. People always store water for use, but most of them don't have closed containers so they store water in cooking pots and open buckets which provides a breeding place especially when they store the water for long, Just like peter says there are a lot of questions to be answered and we are following them up within the health centers that we can reach within our areas.

      Kind Regards
      Dennis

      DENNIS KIMAMBO
      +254-722-388-275
      PO BOX 17382 20100
      Kipchoge Keino Avenue
      Nakuru Players Theatre behind Bontana Hotel
      NAKURU KENYA
      EAST AFRICA
      repacted.org

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 11, 2008
        Dear All,

        I know next to nothing about malaria but I did a short investigation some years
        ago as I had read that bed nets are often ineffective.
        Not because mosquitoes get through the netting but because the 'climate' under
        a net can be so appalling that many, especially children, rather remove the net and
        risk the consequences.
        A recent googling shows this is still widely reported.

        In consequence I tried to find people interested in using pv solar-powered fans
        but only now have I found someone, Peter Ongele, who is interested in testing
        this possibility!

        Graham