Re: [mendenyo] Ending malaria as a volume of thinking and research!

  • Kennedy Owino
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 9, 2008
      Hello Sam and all,

      I admire Great thoughts circulating here on how we can help in combating the greatest world killer which is affecting Kenya big time.
      Sam, a thought just crossed my mind, pepper was being used traditionally to kill insects like coackroaches and also mosquitos.
      Grandmothers used to drop some berries or fruits of pepper into the open fire in the traditional three stone cooking stove and in a shortwhile all disturbing "dudus" (mosquitoes and coakroaches would be dead).
      A cultural focuss or an approach can be taken on researching on if some form of insecticide can be developed out of this.
      Better still people in the villages would use this cultural/outdated  method besides the use of Bed nets to control mosquitoes.
      I doubt if using pepper should have any negative impact on the environment.

      Sam, i respect that you put your time and experience into finding ways of dealing with the spread of malaria.
      Malaria should be a big concern, last week i had to donate blood to an American (a friend of a friend) who was dying in Nairobi Hospital because of Celebral Malarial infection he got while on vaccation in Tanzania.
      He was quickly evacuated to Nairobi, he was on support unit and urgently required blood platellets (if that is the right spelling).
      At first he was wrongly diagnosed to be suuffering from typhoid, it was serious , his parents flew in from the States and evenually he had to be flown out to seek proper treatment in America.
      Anyway, this shows how serious this may be not only to people living in Africa but also to visitors and tourists as well.

      I laud and support your point- Ending malaria as a volume of thinking and research- but most of the solutions lies with us, just a little bit of thinking.

      Have a thoughtful day!

      Ken Owino
      NAfsi Africa Acrobats
      www.nafsiafrica.org
      +254723568251

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 10, 2008
        Dear Kenn and all,
         Thanks actaually thats why development in nyanza just came from either nyabondo kabwana or nyahera..this are hilly places in nyanza when the misionaries came from the coast they suffered and left kano and mbita to settle in nyahera and nyakach,tommboya also died strgling with this too.
        This are some of the points of the consortium even before that Sam himself wa

      • tom ochuka
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 10, 2008
          Dear Kenn and all,
           Thanks actaually thats why development in nyanza just came from either nyabondo kabwana or nyahera..this are hilly places in nyanza when the misionaries came from the coast they suffered and left kano and mbita to settle in nyahera and nyakach,tommboya also died strgling with this too.
          This are some of the points of the consortium even before that Sam himself was serouly affected last year with this.,apart from the bushes arround the villages,in major towns many familis have np propper dustbins this is another cause..Kenn the best method id to suplly every family with aplastic sheet to put the waste and collect itb monthly to empty on the ground.
          Water that is stagnat is also another cause,wea re looking foward to use tis consortoium to bring to all the ffect of malaria and how tp promote tourism affaected by malaria,our udget will come soon,thanks some ,CHELIMO HAS BEEN BUSY IN NAIROBI But will comunicate with me soon.
          TOM OCHUKA.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 10, 2008
            Dear Colleagues

            I am delighted that this malaria conversation is moving ahead.

            There is a huge body of knowledge about malaria ... and most people
            are only accessing a very small bit of it. One of the challenges is to
            *manage* this vast knowledge resource and do things that work.

            I see the goal as being to reduce the burden of malaria in the area as
            fast as possible and at as low cost as possible. In order to manage
            this there is a need to figure out what works and what does not.

            As I understand it, insecticide treated bednets have been distributed
            in the area ... but malaria persists. Why is this? Is this a fact, or
            part of a fact? There are some questions that need to get answered:
            .... how many bednets were distributed and when?
            .... how many in the area population? How many bednets per person ...
            per household?
            .... what was the malaria like before bednets? What is it like after bednets?
            .... are bednets being used?

            If there is a health clinic (or clinics) in the area ... what are the
            month by month cases of malaria? Is the number going up or down? What
            about seasonality? What about rainfall and temperature and humidity?

            Under 5 child mortality and pregnant women (PW) are vulnerable to
            malaria mortality. Any changes over time for under 5 and PW mortality.

            Is there any change in the prevalence of malaria parasites in the
            human population? Is this being measured at the clinic or clinics?
            What methods are being used.

            Is there any source control of the mosquitoes? What is being done?

            Is there any change in mosquito population? Are there any mosquito
            traps? How many? Where are they? What results? Is there daily data ...
            or weekly? How does this look month by month?

            Is there any change in the prevalence of malaria in the mosquito
            population? Who is measuring this?

            Is interior residual spraying (IRS) being used? What chemical is being
            used? What spray rates? When is it being done?

            There are many questions ... essentially a lot of little questions
            that give data ... and the data will give answers. My hope is that one
            of these days we will start to be collecting the dots in a coherent
            way so that it becomes easy to connect the dots and get the right best
            answer.

            But before that will happen, there is one last set of data. How much
            do things cost? How can everything that needs to be done be done in
            the least cost manner (this is cost efficiency). At the same time,
            least cost is not the ultimate goal ... most cost effective is the
            goal ... what activities give the biggest reduction in the burden of
            malaria?

            This is a multi-variate problem ... not easy to get a perfect answer
            ... but quite easy to get something a lot better than what has
            prevailed in the past.

            Hope this is helpful ... I realize that I should have been more
            helpful over the past weeks and months ... but I am trying to pull
            together a response to the WHO Global Malaria Action Plan (WHO-GMAP)
            using what we refer to as Integrated Malaria Management Best Practice
            (IMM-BP). My hope is this will help to move the focus of malaria
            control activities from Washington and Geneva to the African Community
            and the local professionals who are most engaged and concerned about
            progress ... and at the same time be a good basis for ongoing
            financial support for malaria control even though the capital markets
            have imploded.

            Sincerely

            Peter Burgess

          • Denis Kimambo
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 10, 2008
              Dear Peter and all

              I am also drawn to this conversation especially the fact that starting next year our organization will be doing more outreaches specifically on malaria, this is after the report that more abortions are happening at the District hospital due to this.

              Malaria is part of the biggest challenges facing us here despite frequent advertisement by the government to try and cub this is not working, one of the things we have found out is that he lack of water in most of the slum areas is a  cause to this. People always store water for use, but most of them don't have closed containers so they store water in cooking pots and open buckets which provides a breeding place especially when they store the water for long, Just like peter says there are a lot of questions to be answered and we are following them up within the health centers that we can reach within our areas.

              Kind Regards
              Dennis

              DENNIS KIMAMBO
              +254-722-388-275
              PO BOX 17382 20100
              Kipchoge Keino Avenue
              Nakuru Players Theatre behind Bontana Hotel
              NAKURU KENYA
              EAST AFRICA
              repacted.org

              <nafsiafricaacro@ yahoo.com> wrote:
              > Hello Sam and all,
              >
              > I admire Great thoughts circulating here on how we can help in combating the
              > greatest world killer which is affecting Kenya big time.
              > Sam, a thought just crossed my mind, pepper was being used traditionally to
              > kill insects like coackroaches and also mosquitos.
              > Grandmothers used to drop some berries or fruits of pepper into the open
              > fire in the traditional three stone cooking stove and in a shortwhile all
              > disturbing "dudus" (mosquitoes and coakroaches would be dead).
              > A cultural focuss or an approach can be taken on researching on if some form
              > of insecticide can be developed out of this.
              > Better still people in the villages would use this cultural/outdated method
              > besides the use of Bed nets to control mosquitoes.
              > I doubt if using pepper should have any negative impact on the environment.
              >
              > Sam, i respect that you put your time and experience into finding ways of
              > dealing with the spread of malaria.
              > Malaria should be a big concern, last week i had to donate blood to an
              > American (a friend of a friend) who was dying in Nairobi Hospital because of
              > Celebral Malarial infection he got while on vaccation in Tanzania.
              > He was quickly evacuated to Nairobi, he was on support unit and urgently
              > required blood platellets (if that is the right spelling).
              > At first he was wrongly diagnosed to be suuffering from typhoid, it was
              > serious , his parents flew in from the States and evenually he had to be
              > flown out to seek proper treatment in America.
              > Anyway, this shows how serious this may be not only to people living in
              > Africa but also to visitors and tourists as well.
              >
              > I laud and support your point- Ending malaria as a volume of thinking and
              > research- but most of the solutions lies with us, just a little bit of
              > thinking.
              >
              > Have a thoughtful day!
              >
              > Ken Owino
              > NAfsi Africa Acrobats
              > www.nafsiafrica. org
              > +254723568251

            • graham
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2008
                Dear All,

                I know next to nothing about malaria but I did a short investigation some years
                ago as I had read that bed nets are often ineffective.
                Not because mosquitoes get through the netting but because the 'climate' under
                a net can be so appalling that many, especially children, rather remove the net and
                risk the consequences.
                A recent googling shows this is still widely reported.

                In consequence I tried to find people interested in using pv solar-powered fans
                but only now have I found someone, Peter Ongele, who is interested in testing
                this possibility!

                Graham