Re: [holistichelping] Minciu Sodas $100 Projects

  • Samwel Kongere
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2008
      Thanks Andrius,
      I've been mostly motivated at my own to help Rusinga
      Island Malaria project and surely interesteted in
      communal $ 100 because our local Malaria surveillance
      members need motivation after loosing ranks with the
      sceincetists from universities. Yesterday at the mbita
      heath center we gave out 160 mosquito nets to children
      donated by public health department. I am still
      experimenting home spraying with pyrethrum solutions
      and a later mosquito breeding sites. The donated
      mosquito nets to children who attended the children
      club day and recited poems, songs, druming, etc, this
      is an initiative i took to motivate children affected
      and inffected with HIV/AIDS. I do this twice a year
      bringing adults and children together. Next April i
      will do the same at a budget of KES-60,000.
      Other IT Project i do with Ricardo is gaining momentum
      and to help those at the small shop computer task i
      need a new model KM 1635 Photocopying machine which
      can help in photocopying question papers to teachers
      and children.
      For more information check
      www.friendsofrusingaisland.org which Ricardo and I
      manage.
      I hope to appreciate our work at our Lab and network,
      we started small and going far. Stay blessed. Samwel.

      http://worknets.ning.com/group/edmontonreconciliationcentre
> [...]
      >
      > * We could do a project with Masimba Biriwiasha to
      > support his book and
      > library program. I would like to work with a math
      > teacher and ultimately
      > publish my algebra notes there to see if they might
      > be useful there.
      >
      > * Sasha Mrkailo has agreed to work a bit for me to
      > look for EU funding for
      > projects with the university here in Bosnia, which
      > might include our chat
      > room, peacemaking, math education, statistics
      > education and a global
      > villages index.
      >
      > And many more projects:
      > * Kennedy Owino and others care about the
      > differently abled.
      > * Cathy Stubington shared with us a fantastic
      > project for making sanitary
      > pads.
      >
      > We also need much help with programming at our
      > websites, including
      > teaching people how to program. These are not big
      > solutions (I've had
      > disastrous experiences with Drupal and other content
      > management systems)
      > but little $100 projects, for example, to link
      > Twitter with our chat room,
      > or to access the NING system to know who is logged
      > in and let other
      > programs use that information. I would very much
      > like to work with Todd
      > Kelsey, Alex Rollin and others and thank you for the
      > important discussion
      > at Global Villages

      > Each project should involve at least a pair of
      > people, typically:
      > * one or more people on-the-ground, typically in a
      > developing country
      > * one or more people online who care
      > Each of these people should share with us:
      > * what is a small, real step that they would like to
      > achieve with this
      > project
      > * a question that they don't know the answer to, but
      > this project might
      > help answer
      > * their relevant values, why is this project
      > important to them?
      > That helps us work together in a deep way.
      > Finally, how does your project strengthen our
      > network? This could include:
      > * business opportunities for yourself or me or
      > others at our lab
      > * new relationships for working together both for
      > free and for pay
      > * infrastructure online or on-the-ground for our lab
      > and network
      > * examples that showcase what we could achieve if we
      > had funding
      >
      > I will send the money at the start of the project.
      > No deliverables are
      > needed, just your good will to work together and
      > achieve what you think
      > most important.
      >
      > I can support quite a few projects. And then we can
      > find more supporters.
      > What we really need is YOU! either doing a project
      > or guiding it so that
      > it is meaningful to more of us around the world.

      === message truncated ===

    • Kennedy Owino
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
        Greetings Andrius , Fred and all,

        Thank you Andrius for your great holistic approaches to the network of independent thinkers and those involved with shaping communities through creative practice and positive participation.
        I am sorry to be late in giving in my response on the $100 Projects, i hope you understand it is not by design.

        Fred, i am inspired by your great initiative, I would wish to join synergies with you towards the same vision we uphold of empowering the street child.
        Please link up with Mr Charles O.Barrack , the chairman and founder of Sports Talent Promotion in Africa (www.sportstalentafrica.com) an organisation based in Kenya.
        Your great work of promoting Youth football in Uganda may capture his attention or be of interest to his Organisation and perhaps initiate some collaboration.

        Andrius, I will take  time to write briefly  about my interests and ideas in regard to the $100 project.
        The  Graham knight solar powered chargers is of real and particular interest to me.
        However, i have not researched enough to know if it may be a viable prospect here in Kibera slums.
        I would like to finish what i started, or what i have been involved with in the forum in the past and was left hanging.
        I would like to stick on my focuss and passion that determines my dream and deepest value.
        I have an idea that i am willing to pursue once i mobilise all the resources necessary and identify willing partners for it.
        I will write the specifics in a detailed posting later.
        My initial concept is creating an open source community of Artists working for Peace.
        I have a unique and interesting vision for doing this and there is a potential for the project to take National, Regional and/or even Global propotions.
        It has a specific core component that needs to be built and advanced to Peace based Artistic activities around it with a long term focuss on a Peace Center for Artists.

        My prototype project is to work with the group of Artists in Ghetto Arts Collectives (G.A.C)ghettoartscollective.webs.com/articles.htmin crafting a giant monumental Peace of Artwork.
        A life sized sculpture constructed with hundreds of used plastic bottles will be displayed in a public space, drawing attention to the importance of environmental protection.
        Under the guidance of Ghetto Arts Collectives Artists and a professional sculptor, groups of young street Youths (particularly Girls), street children and the Artists for Peace partners will work together to bring this large-scale event to fruition.

        The Artists will mobilize and identify Street Children especially girls to help in finishing the work.
        The monument in one way will depict a silent prayer and a message of Peace.
        It will serve to educate the Public about the futility of war and great meaning of Peace.
        Also it will be sending a message on the need to conserve our environment- Eco Peace.
        The design is of an open hand supporting a tree, and two doves.
        standing tall, about three meters high.

        The vision of The Peace Project is to create a culture of peace, balance, and harmony—a culture that allows all to participate in building a global community embracing social, economic, religious and environmental peace, awareness, tolerance, and sustainability.

        It will emphasize on Peace on Earth, Peace in our Hearts, Peace in our homes and Peace in our environments.

        Once the "Artist partnership Peace Tree" monument is complete (planted), it will pull Performing Artists (Acrobats, Dancers and drummists) who will launch it by doing Peace choreographed performances and prayers under it.
        My idea beyond this, is to create awareness and access to Organisations, and follow promptly with a sustainable project where Street Children will be crafting huge monumental/ life sized logo figures for companies and Organisations.
        This i hope will form the basis of ongoing Recycled Arts and Crafts works in the course of the future.
        Also Ghetto Arts Collectives will find opportunities to trade their crafts, paintings and Peace Mandallas made of painted canvas and recycled compact disks.

        Art and peace can both build bridges, create alliances, change perceptions, touch the soul and allow revolving networks. The process of creating peace is an Art – be a part!

        Artists for Peace Project is targerting people’s consciousness which are always different

        and fun!

        I hope this great initiative will open avenue to end violence, hatred,  and terrorism from this world

        Peace in my Heart, Arts is my love,

        Ken Owino

        Nafsi Africa Acrobats

        www.nafsiafrica.org

[...]