Shannon, Samwel, Coffee/Risks/Wifi anyone? Dante leads Cacao

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
      CC: One Village and Gary A. Bolles regarding a connection between
      coffee, taking risks, and wifi which I'd like to pursue as part of our
      new work http://www.foodstory.com Andrius

      Dante, Thank you for your prompt and encouraging reply!
      Yes, We're definitely interested in a leader for a Cacao project
      building on the work we did last year for Greg Wolff and Chocolate
      Dividends http://www.chocolatedividends.org
      I'm very glad that you find a tight connection with the
      technology/methodology of "community currency" as evidenced by Aztec
      history and perhaps even common sense. And I'm interested how that
      might link with your vision of an "Open World", your value of "fostering
      paradigms of inspiration" and yes I believe that we can make progress on
      your endeavor for a "Reference/Relations Mapping Project" and perhaps
      Kevin Jones http://www.xigi.net might also be interested. I look for
      more thoughts and any interest from our Cyfranogi group in the
      connection between chocolate and community currency (or edible currency
      in general, as Tom Wayburn wrote earlier). Perhaps Cyfranogi could host
      our chocolate work until we have momentum for a separate group which
      Dante might then lead? Perhaps we can relate this to Bernard Lietaer's
      interest in http://www.eprida.com What do we think?

      OK, let's pursue that further and meanwhile I'll keep looking if there
      is anybody who might pursue the coffee/wifi/willingness-to-take-risks
      connection. Suddenly I think of Shannon Clark,
      http://www.ms.lt/?thinker=Shannon_J._Clark , a veteran at our lab, and
      founder of http://www.meshforum.org, who wrote recently with ideas from
      his forthcoming book on the economy of networks. Shannon's key concept
      is "accepting personal responsibility" and his investigatory question is
      "How to explore the implications of looking at economies from a network
      perspective?" Also, Shannon is an avid devotee of Starbucks and other
      cafes and so I imagine a fan of coffee, too.

      Shannon, you're very welcome to lead a working group on "accepting
      personal responsibility" and either directly work as a team coordinator
      or we can find somebody to organize around you (the coordinator receives
      $500 plus potential bonus) and you would have four field agents and
      perhaps the coffee world might be a place to study network economies for
      both small and large companies (including "coffee breaks"). Would you
      be interested? That would be fantastic!

      We would feature you in October but most of the work and the momentum
      would continue afterwards. We would link up as much as possible with
      Jeff Buderer's of One Village's interest in wi-fi and echoupal (Internet
      kiosks), the upcoming AirJaldi summit, and also if possible with Gary A.
      Bolles work on wifi, he was interested in connecting with us and I think
      would be glad if we could assemble a public group working in this area
      and on the ground, for example, with Samwel Kongere in Kenya. Indeed,
      coffee is grown in Kenya. Also the market dynamics of coffee and wheat
      are I think similar - highly variable - and Samwel and his family have a
      milling operation. So other crops that benefit from wifi/echoupals,
      http://www.echoupal.com would be possible, such as soyabean, coffee,
      wheat, rice, pulses, shrimp for which excellent knowledge of global and
      local markets is especially relevant. And Samwel Kongere could
      certainly be an excellent team coordinator if provided the resources we
      have.

      +370 (5) 264 5950
      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
        Dear Pamela, Andrius, Janet and Maria Agnese, Jeff and All,

        My schedule has been very busy with many issues in the grassroots, and could not immediately thank everybody for the good collaboration seen to have Mbita on the limelight of our Lab Minciu-Sodas. Maria Agnese came and visited us successfully. I have been unable to keep up with the mails and read from the list and this has made me have more slow communication trends.

        We had discussed a great deal with Maria Agnese agreeing to be collaborators and partner up for Information Communication Technology empowerment for our communities both In Kenya and Tanzania . The far most arrangement is to meet the Tanzania team in November and discuss the possible initiation of an ICT project there and Maria will organize some possibilities for the success of our meeting.

        Maria Agnese is a serious lady and need more serious people to partner up with. From the list and in our agreement, we both need support on open content management which will help us to be competent Web designers and help communities we are working with to have sites for their own information handling. This in itself will give more balanced information and sharing of the activities. The Dar meeting in November will open a way for another Telecenter Gateway in Dar. We both need Pamela, Andrius and everybody’s in put concerning this move With Maria Agnese. We foresee a possibility of coming together as a team from MS Lab to implement an ICT project in Dar and Rusinga Island where Udogo youth development group operates its activities. In Dar es salaam we are going to partner up with interested youth groups or women groups to join Helen Mahoo and William Wambura.

        This meeting will take place in the third week of November 2006 in Dar es salaam . I am planning to arrive in Dar es salaam in the week end of second week and plan a meeting together with William and Helen to find the possibility of forming a steering committee and way forward. I am going to send a specific date after getting the feedback from William and Helen. We need regional and international volunteers to come up with information regarding Tanzania and ICT policies, to make this move successful.

        We agreed with Maria on a possible trip to Europe to promote what we do together and hope Andrius will organize this for next year and hope to meet a few people for more partnerships and collaborations for the betterment of the global villages.

        Thanks for everybody’s in put and to me and Udogo youth development group.
        Samwel.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
          Samwel, Thank you for your news and all your help with Agnese and your
          team in Tanzania! Yes, I have been thinking of your team and work that
          you might do. I also share two letters that you wrote me on September
          17th. Andrius, http://www.ms.lt

          Dear Andrius,
          I have been having ectic time the field and could not snd you some emails.
          I have already sent Lukas the first batch of the interview findings and
          hope all will be good, What are your plans concerning Maria Agnese
          project. I am planning to go to Dar Tanzania and Negotaite the
          collaboration and see what we can do concerning this.
          I will sending slow mails due to internet problems here send me your
          Cell phone no, mine is Sam kongere +254 725 600 439 send a SMS and I
          will send one to you.
          Thanks
          Samwel.

          ------------------------

          Dear William, Leonard, Helen,
          I am happy to send my hearty greetings to you and would wish to inform
          you and all, what I am planning to do, come to Tanzania in November.
          This is going to show the further commitment I’ve dedicated to my
          collaboration with Maria Agnese Giraudo.
          When Maria visited me in Mbita she was impressed with what we are doing
          and wished we get collaboration between us and what you do there. We can
          go on to arrange for my meeting you in November and then give feed back
          to Maria.
          You might be committed but we go on to do this arrangement. I would want
          you to get the budget for traveling to Dar es salaam by Bus, the
          accommodation there and other costs which can be incurred. You can as
          well give me the appropriate date in the last two weeks in November so
          that I can also prepare in Advance for traveling to Dar. Specify between
          which dates are good for this discussion in November.
          The objective of this meeting will be on how we can make our regional
          collaboration and get support across from others. We can as well join
          hands and see what project we can do together as a team.
          Please, go on and make our communication healthy, I have been busy
          making some reports but as soon as I ‘m through I will go on make ends
          meet, I heard William was sick how is he doing now?
          I am waiting to get your arrangement for my visit and then I will do the
          necessary on my side.
          Regards,
          Samwel.

        • Jeff Buderer
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2006
            Samwel,

            I am encouraged by your email. I think you are on the right track.

            By the way we are now working with a incubation that has focused on ICT
            development in the Urban US. They are now interested in how they might
            contribute to a process that energizes the diaspora in an effort to
            invest in building ICT ventures in Africa. Their goal is to create a
            whole "ecosystem" of services to incubate African businesses and NGOs
            effectively using the resources of the net.

            So your email is very relevant to this process.

            Keep in touch.

            Also how is your work on the proposal going?

            Jeff