Re: [holistichelping] pads

  • cathy stubington
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
      Hi, thank you Tom and Peter for your response, and thank you Ken for the interesting link.  Of course where Familia is working water is an even greater issue! Each of the girls has been supplied with a buckt for the purpose of washing the pads, but there are still things to work out.
      One thing that has happened in the village is that because of the project, sanitary pads have been talked about openly -- first between the girls and the nurse, but then at public event, including a girls' football match, where the male head teacher stood in front of the crowd and spoke about this publicly! The man I work with has been approached by many women in the village to talk about this menstrual issue. And the girls were helped lay the cornerstone for the foundation of the chaning room!  To a great extent it is the secrecy around menstruation that causes embarrassment and discomfort for girls and women.
      Also here we have had articles in the local paper about the project- here too it has been something that has been difficult to talk about, but this project in Nyanza province helps to break a taboo in my village in Western Canada!

      Yours Cathy S
      From: Peter Burgess <peterbNYC@gmail. com>
      To: holistichelping@ yahoogroups. com
      Cc: "cathy stubington" <cathys@uniserve. com>
      Date: Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 2:34 PM

      Dear Cathy

      Well done ... when I first heard about your project I was wondering
      what 200 million (give or take a few million) females in Africa are
      doing. I am sure they are doing something.
      //////////// //////
      > But with this we became more and more aware of the unsustainability of the disposable
      > pads - not only in terms of money, but also that we were promoting a product that creates
      > a whole lot of garbage.
      //////////// //////
      The way your project has "learned" and evolved is great. Congratulations.

      //////////// /////
      > So instead we researched designs for washable pads, and financed the
      > purchase of two sewing machines and an overlock machine, and fabric. A
      > tailor in the village volunteered to use this opportunity to teach some
      > girls to sew. There was still a problem that the girls would have to walk
      > home if they needed to change during the day. So the School and village
      > identified the need for a Girls' Changing Room at the school. This is
      > presently being built, and it will have taps connected to a rain collection
      > container. The room will also house a small sewing school, where both
      > sanitary pads and school uniforms will be made. Thus several girls will also
      > be acquiring a useful income-generating skill.

      Peter
      Peter Burgess
      The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
      www.tr-ac-net. org
      Community Accountancy
      Integrated Malaria Management Consortium (IMMC)
      917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@gmail. com