MPs taxation - update on arrested Bunge la Mwananchi members

  • George Nyongesa
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2008

      Dear friends of Bunge la Mwananchi,

      Further to my previous email earlier today, please note the following update:

      Ms. Wangui Mbatia and Mr Kennedy Ochieng, who had been arrested from Jeevanjee Gardens for protesting the MPs refusal to have their salaries taxed, were brought before Magistrate Mrs Wanjala in Court No. 3 of the Kibera Law Courts and not the High Court as we had earlier anticipated.

      They denied the charges of holding an illegal assembly that were read out against them. Although the prosecution argued against their release, after a thirty minute recess to consider the matter the magistrate granted them release on a cash bail of K.Shs. 20,000/= each. Their case is now set to be mentioned on Monday 17th November, 2008.

      Thank you for your support as we continue to make the voice of Kenyans heard in setting the agenda for our leaders.

      Kind regards,

      George Nyongesa

      Bunge la Mwananchi

      www.bulamwa.co.ke