pads

  • cathy stubington
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
      Hello,
      Just a short description of our project of sanitary pad provision:
      It was the beginning of a village partnership between a village in Nyanza and our rural community here in British Columbia Canada.
      I received a request to help with the need for sanitary supplies in order to keep girls attending school regularly.
      We began to raise money so that we could keep 60 girls supplied with disposable pads each month. (Kotex Always pads)
      Alongside this the young man I work with enlisted the help of a local nurse, who gathered the girls for learning and discussion sessions on menstrual health, reproductive health, and gender issues.
      (A valuable side benefit is that the participation and performance of girls in the school has increased tremendously!!!! )

      But with this we became more and more aware of the unsustainability of the disposable pads - not only in terms of money, but also that we were promoting a product that creates a whole lot of garbage.  Such products are not questioned enough here where we have garbage disposal systems which do nothing but temporarily hide the problem that is being created!
      So instead we researched designs for washable pads, and financed the purchase of two sewing machines and an overlock machine, and fabric. A tailor in the village volunteered to use this opportunity to teach some girls to sew. There was still a problem that the girls would have to walk home if they needed to change during the day. So the School and village identified the need for a Girls' Changing Room at the school. This is presently being built, and it will have taps connected to a rain collection container. The room will also house a small sewing school, where both sanitary pads and school uniforms will be made. Thus several girls will also be acquiring a useful income-generating skill.

      The system is not yet perfect, especially in rainy season -  each girl/woman needs enough pads to last through her period.  But this is being worked through gradually. We hope that the project will also benefit women in the village who have the same issue.

      A large community-based NGO working in Ethiopia has now taken this up having learned about our project; they are doing an extensive research into how many pads are needed and the economics of making washable pads.

      yours Cathy S
      British Columbia Canada
    • Peter Burgess
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
        Dear Cathy

        Well done ... when I first heard about your project I was wondering
        what 200 million (give or take a few million) females in Africa are
        doing. I am sure they are doing something.
        //////////////////
        > But with this we became more and more aware of the unsustainability of the disposable
        > pads - not only in terms of money, but also that we were promoting a product that creates
        > a whole lot of garbage.
        //////////////////
        The way your project has "learned" and evolved is great. Congratulations.

        /////////////////
        > So instead we researched designs for washable pads, and financed the
        > purchase of two sewing machines and an overlock machine, and fabric. A
        > tailor in the village volunteered to use this opportunity to teach some
        > girls to sew. There was still a problem that the girls would have to walk
        > home if they needed to change during the day. So the School and village
        > identified the need for a Girls' Changing Room at the school. This is
        > presently being built, and it will have taps connected to a rain collection
        > container. The room will also house a small sewing school, where both
        > sanitary pads and school uniforms will be made. Thus several girls will also
        > be acquiring a useful income-generating skill.
        //////////////////

        Peter
        ____________
        Peter Burgess
        The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
        www.tr-ac-net.org
        Community Accountancy
        Integrated Malaria Management Consortium (IMMC)
        917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@...

        --
      • tom ochuka
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
          Dear Cathy and Peter,
            When we had asignlanguage trainning we noticed the girls becoming uneasy this could affect even the learning processes.
          The daef are so vulnerable are are actually inneedd of such they too need rooms to change the boys to too can benefit of there are inner pants to change also to be healthy all round Nyanza ois warm and at times hot...we can begin with the girls and have also availiable rooms to change.
          with the detergents ,do you think they will bath too.
          TOM OCHUKA.

          Well done ... when I first heard about your project I was wondering
          what 200 million (give or take a few million) females in Africa are
          doing. I am sure they are doing something.
          //////////// //////
          > But with this we became more and more aware of the unsustainability of the disposable
          > pads - not only in terms of money, but also that we were promoting a product that creates
          > a whole lot of garbage.
          //////////// //////
          The way your project has "learned" and evolved is great. Congratulations.

          //////////// /////

          917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@gmail. com

          --

        • Rachel Kungu

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
              Hi, thank you Tom and Peter for your response, and thank you Ken for the interesting link.  Of course where Familia is working water is an even greater issue! Each of the girls has been supplied with a buckt for the purpose of washing the pads, but there are still things to work out.
              One thing that has happened in the village is that because of the project, sanitary pads have been talked about openly -- first between the girls and the nurse, but then at public event, including a girls' football match, where the male head teacher stood in front of the crowd and spoke about this publicly! The man I work with has been approached by many women in the village to talk about this menstrual issue. And the girls were helped lay the cornerstone for the foundation of the chaning room!  To a great extent it is the secrecy around menstruation that causes embarrassment and discomfort for girls and women.
              Also here we have had articles in the local paper about the project- here too it has been something that has been difficult to talk about, but this project in Nyanza province helps to break a taboo in my village in Western Canada!

              Yours Cathy S

              Well done ... when I first heard about your project I was wondering
              what 200 million (give or take a few million) females in Africa are
              doing. I am sure they are doing something.
              > But with this we became more and more aware of the unsustainability of the disposable
              > pads - not only in terms of money, but also that we were promoting a product that creates
              > a whole lot of garbage.