Issues that could help us build coherence.

  • Franz Nahrada
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
      I am writing in response of Andrius crosspost and I know this (the
      crosspost) should be a tool we are to use more consciently and
      responsibly. (Andrius and I have worked out ideas on that that I hope to
      share in another mail, still waiting for him to come up with a proposal)

      But there is a very important point in Andriuses mail that I want to
      respond to, something that could really help us increase the visibility
      and the positioning of the whole lab. The fact that Minciu Sodas is
      engaged in the Communia process offers a lot of opportunities to
      strengthen our own ecosystem and the general ecosystem of the Open Culture
      we are part of.

      Andrius Kulikauskas writes:
      >We also have 4800 EUR to spend for travel to COMMUNIA meetings. The next
      >meeting is in London in January, 2009. We can use the money to invite
      >anybody we like, for our own purposes. However, it would be good to also
      >have a goal related to strengthening the Public Domain. For example, we
      >could organize Open Source Hardware activists. Is that something we'd like
      >to do? COMMUNIA might be a good venue for that (we'd have to note that
      >open source hardware is a "digital" matter, not a "hardware" matter). It
      >would be a way to bring Marcin, Jeff and others to Europe if there is a
      >point to that. Also, we can invite our African participants, but we have
      >had trouble getting visas. And we should consider, what is our purpose?

      so let us reflect.....

      Its very clear that incredible things are happening, especially fueled by
      the sense of urgency facing the economic and ecological crisis and the
      widespread non-acceptance of the still dominating bailout mentality. One
      particular thread of networking and activities is the OpenEverything
      movement, that emerged out of the perception that now is the time to mash
      up and create a new culture. So far, four retreats have taken place and
      for the first time, this is like a spontaneus wave of association that
      spans around the globe.

      While people at the forefront of the Intellectual Commons like Marcin are
      finally making headway in showing tangible results, while more and more
      companies are looking to quit the Intellectual Property game, there is
      broad recognition that there is a need to formulate and enact new rules of
      the game and present a viable alternative to an increasingly disoriented
      and frustrated public helplessly facing the shameless burning of the last
      holy assetts for half a years continuation of our nightmare econoimics.

      This is why people are drawn together, and there is a broad feeling that
      it is around the accord of the creative individuals of this world that a
      new culture crystallizes. It has always been as such in history, but for
      the first time the rule that we establish revolve around the individual
      and ints potential: Lets arrure the conditions that everyone can be
      creative and lets build our hope and our future on the expecatation that
      this potential of wealth and gifts will carry us further than any old form
      of social restriuctions and rationing. While the traditional left is
      reformulating its old anticreative Ideas in constructs like Parecon, to
      finally reach justice, equality and fair share, the new movement is built
      on enacting individual freedom at its extremes - but not a selfish
      individual freedom like in neoliberalism or even in some parts of the 68
      movement, but a freedom that unfolds in unforeseen dimension of social
      contributions, productive acts, problem solutions.

      Thats at the core of the new process that has no name, and OpenEverything
      is just another attempt to grab and develop the central concepts of this
      culture. This weeks gathering will happen in London, and we might want to
      consider to create links and offer the communia meeting as another step in
      the development of this culture.

      http://openeverything.net/
      http://openeverything.wik.is/London

      While OpenEverything is focusing on "things" (and does that rightfully),
      we should propose a followup meeting that is focussing on people and their
      creative potential. Actually, the core competence of our lab is the
      development of abilities and mentalities of people sharing and
      participating in Open Culture. There are so many questions related to
      this, but the central question is the shere material survival. Still the
      sad story of the Open Inventor that Vinay Gupta once presented resonates
      in my head. How can we really enact an economy of giving everything away,
      which is the kingdom of heaven for some and the free association of
      producers for others?

      Marcin has recently brought a daring and compelling perspective into
      discussion that is so important for me that I cant keep reiterating it.
      Develop mechanisms of social shares that allow us to deal with any size of
      production on the base of p2p values. Have the copernican shift happen
      where the industry revolves around the creative individual, not just a
      support economy, but an economy commonly owned by the stakeholders. Not as
      an abstract state though, but on the base of self-assigned social
      enterprises. The main quality of these social enterprises is that they
      follow their own core values, that they are open for meaningful
      cooperation and that their asociation is built on goals that are pursued
      in free cooperation.

      We feel this imminent change is around the corner, but we cannot be sure,
      we are part of the game and without us (as a community of likeminded
      individuals around the globe, not limited to Minciu Sodas peoiple) this
      change cannot happen. NO CHANGE WITHOUT US. Its going to be interesting
      times especially when Obama should be elected next week.

      So why not dedicate the communia meeting totally and entirely to this
      subject and make clear to the European commission that this is the
      all-deciding factor. People with a basic income could be selfish as
      parasites or hopelessly depressed as the native Americans Frithjof Bergman
      describes in his book - "they were like stumps of trees slowly covered by
      snow, motionless and numb, waiting for the postal plane to bring their
      social security paychecks" - or they can be activated by the discovery
      that a different fire of imagination burns in every human being, and our
      common dream can only be the resulty of nurturing and supporting and
      developing this fire. Given this potential, the investment in people would
      be a million times more productive than the bailout for the survival of
      allready rotten dead money.

      Structures like the Help Room must be there to nurture and support us in
      what we bring out, and we must boldly ask for support, showing more and
      more examples of the potential that is accumulating here. The communiy
      meeting in London might be a good ground for this.

      Franz
    • ACTWID KONGADZEM
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
        Dear Franz,
        How are you? We hope you are well and all you are
        doing at GIVE as well as working with Andrius on many
        issues related to the M.S. lab such as organising the
        Open Source Hardware activists alongside with the
        London meeting of January 2009; We here in ACTWID
        KONGADZEM are strongly feeling that organising such a
        meeting for creative activist or thinkers will go a
        long way to build sustainable ecosystems and will
        strengthen efforts already made in the field of Open
        cultures in diverse settings anywhere in the World; If
        this happens, it will be an opportunity for many
        African participants who are having long standing
        dreams to grow up to the highest levels in the open
        source and digital world so as to be able to close the
        wide gap gap of ignorance and phobia in the usage and
        control of ICTs especially women;
        Reflecting on all that you, Andrius and other experts
        in this field have been discussing, we see a very
        bright future for African women and youths who have
        nursing these interests in being trained all round on
        open sorce and its related fields usage;
        Thank you immensely for sharing;
        Sincerely Wendi , Killo Shang and other members of
        ACTWID in Cameroon

        === message truncated ===