Help Room and Learning to Share

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
      I've posted my latest Includer blog post.
      http://www.pbs.org/idealab/2008/11/the-includerepisode-8people-vs.html
      I promote and engage authors of 20 proposals that were submitted to the
      Knight News Challenge, including our Davis Weddi in Uganda!

      I ask for topics and photos and news that you'd like me to share. I want
      to post about
      * the Nairobi base - whether or not Kennedy keeps it
      * Peter Ongele and Graham Knight's DIY Solar
      * Peter Ongele's malaria nets project
      * Our wonderful letters and ideas about including the Differently Abled
      * Charles Williams work to include David Ellison-Bey and others
      * our Saturday chats
      * open source hardware

      I'm working full-time as a math professor here in Bosnia. I received my
      first pay check today. I should be able to save about $3,200 a month for
      8 months, and also I have received a first payment of $7,100 for my blog
      about the Includer. So if all goes well I will earn about $33,000 to pay
      off my loans, which is almost one-third of my loans. Then, hopefully,
      next summer I can pursue business more related to our lab and network,
      such as our Help Room http://www.helproom.org and I will receive a second
      blogging payment of $7,100 in September, 2009 which will allow me to work
      until the end of that year.

      It's not my goal in life to pay off my debts, though. I want to pay off
      the higher-interest loans, and I also will apply half of my earnings
      towards my personal debt to Edward Damal. But I also have credit card
      debts at fixed rates of 3% and 5% and 7% which I should keep for as long
      as I can. So I will need a way to apply my money. I want to do that in a
      way that encourages our culture of "giving everything away", of sharing,
      of a kingdom of heaven. I need to invest in projects in which we build
      assets and also I can get my investment back in some way, even if without
      interest. I don't want to do this alone, but rather find two or three or
      more investors who work together and decide together. I want to be
      transparent and accountable about the money issues. I want us to practice
      regarding that. I also want to strengthen our lab's infrastructure. We
      need staffers for our chat room, and we need software developers, web
      programmers who would like to improve our interfaces.

      Thank you to Fred Kayiwa, David Ellison-Bey, Sasha Mrkailo, Benoit Couture
      for chatting this Saturday with me. I will be here every Saturday at
      10:00 Chicago time, 17:00 London time at http://www.helproom.org which
      leads to http://www.worknets.org/chat/

      We also have 4800 EUR to spend for travel to COMMUNIA meetings. The next
      meeting is in London in January, 2009. We can use the money to invite
      anybody we like, for our own purposes. However, it would be good to also
      have a goal related to strengthening the Public Domain. For example, we
      could organize Open Source Hardware activists. Is that something we'd like
      to do? COMMUNIA might be a good venue for that (we'd have to note that
      open source hardware is a "digital" matter, not a "hardware" matter). It
      would be a way to bring Marcin, Jeff and others to Europe if there is a
      point to that. Also, we can invite our African participants, but we have
      had trouble getting visas. And we should consider, what is our purpose?

      Thank you and I invite our help to staff our chat room and organize around
      a vision of a "help room". Thank you for writing about your own wishes.
      How might we support you?

      Samwel, best wishes on your journey as an investigator! I hope to write
      and share what you discover.

      -----------------------

      AndriusKulikauskas: Click on the box and then you can type in a message.
      :: Also this way we can share urls (Internet addresses) like:
      http://www.helproom.org

      David: andrius, can you read me

      AndriusKulikauskas: Yes, wonderful! :: This is called chat. :: And every
      Saturday :: Fred Kayiwa of Uganda willl be here :: My choir gave him a 100
      dollars so that he could come here on Saturdays :: starting at 10:00 am in
      the morning. :: And I want it to be 24 hours around the clock some day. ::
      http://www.pbs.org/idealab/2008/10/the-includerepisode-5hardship.html this
      is your hardship letter :: and try this link some time
      http://www.helproom.org

      David: ok, I hung up the phone, and will get back when I finish out sifr.
      :: side.

      AndriusKulikauskas: hi :: this is nice that I can write to you :: I am
      writing my next blog post :: David it's great that we can be in touch this
      way :: whatever you write here will be archived publicly :: and you can
      leave messages for me and others here :: here is the link to the archive:
      http://www.worknets.org/archive/ :: I am writing a blog post about various
      proposals submitted to the Knight News Challenge

      Benoit: Salut Andrius

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Benoit, thank you for coming, how are you? :: David
      and I chatted today for the first time.

      Benoit: We received a call about an hour ago from Josh. He went to slepep
      on school roof last night and the rain began pouring. He somehow fell off
      the roof and broke his pelvis and a few more bones. The baseball bat was
      to avoid him such severe spanking from The Father.

      AndriusKulikauskas: Oh that is sad news I am glad he is alive. :: And that
      he is able to speak :: and that he called you.

      Benoit: We are praying that he can respond accordingly.

      AndriusKulikauskas: Yes :: Thank you also for your letter which I have
      been thinking about

      Benoit: As a family, we are all that we've got on this earth.

      AndriusKulikauskas: You care very deeply

      Benoit: We have like pilgrimms without any attachments to anyone nor any
      community

      AndriusKulikauskas: Benoit, some day, when you are free, I wanted to ask
      if you might send a drawing or a picture :: so that I would have an image
      :: to start up an Edmonton group for your vision :: because I think you
      have a great vision :: and we might be supportive step by step :: and we'd
      start it here and assemble people

      Benoit: I fear that I have created a small cult that must be destroyed and
      yet, I know much better than that. We are on a mission from God to pioneer
      the passage for all families on earth to get from the spiritual division
      of the human DNA to the organic experience of spiritual unity.

      AndriusKulikauskas: and I suggest calling it Edmonton for now ::
      http://worknets.ning.com/groups :: I propose to consider how to link both
      the big vision and the small steps :: and everything in between :: and as
      you are in Edmonton and your thought is to have a center there :: it seems
      relevant to reach out in Edmonton. :: Also, I witness your growth and you
      mine :: and I imagine you need a team that is bigger than your family ::
      and also in some ways you are very mature and in some ways you may need a
      lot of growth :: for your vision :: and so I imagine it would be excellent
      if you might find people locally :: who appreciate your work

      Ben: And in that regard, I consider my children, including Josh deeply, to
      be essential to one another's arrival to God's destination for each one's
      of our lives

      AndriusKulikauskas: and can contribute leadership and even mentorship ::
      and help you keep discovering alternatives

      Ben: Indeed

      AndriusKulikauskas: because I imagine your instincts may need advice from
      companions

      Ben: This is what I consider you to be

      AndriusKulikauskas: because your love and instincts are so strong :: well
      thank you but it would be great if you might find somebody local, yes? ::
      and we could all work together, globally and locally?

      Ben: Very much so.

      AndriusKulikauskas: great - that is what was on my mind

      Ben: But somehow, I find myself caught in a paradox :: The paradox of
      being pregnant with such a vision, and yet, unable to get it on with my
      closest people

      AndriusKulikauskas: well that's the same for me :: that is why we're
      looking for each other

      Ben: and found each other

      AndriusKulikauskas: and also that's why we have to be able to engage
      others in their own way rather than our own way :: and that is why it
      helps us to have a world where we can participate in our own way

      Ben: Yes

      AndriusKulikauskas: our own expectations may be high and unfair

      Ben: I keep on feeling very guilty for not having gone with Josh for a
      "night out on the street" with him

      AndriusKulikauskas: what does that mean?

      Ben: You say to engage others in their own way :: I wonder and feel guilty
      about the fact that I could have gone with Josh, and let him show what he
      values in going on the scene of crack cocaine and all of its ??? :: I did
      not because I know better but that did nothing for him...yet

      AndriusKulikauskas: he may be doomed but he is always your son :: and you
      can love him :: even though he may be trapped

      Ben: The idea of the community center I keep on writing about and talking
      about, is specifically targetting the solution to be grown from person to
      person and from family to family

      AndriusKulikauskas: where you have the opportunity

      Ben: Yes, the opportunity of engaging in the kind of communication that
      can repair or heal any kind of communication breakdown

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes

      Ben: Josh and our 3 other children suffer from the deep divide that they
      have been exposed to beteen Debbie and I. :: We do go on suffering from
      deep communication breakdown that began nearly as soon as we got pregnant

      AndriusKulikauskas: I think it helps to learn your children's language,
      their concerns, their issues and acknowledge their world even as you offer
      more

      Ben: From what I understand, we are one of the many, many couples who go
      on living like that

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes in Lithuania I am deeply impressed :: by couples
      who live with such challenges

      Ben: Yes, that is what makes them very different from most of the other
      people that they have come across in their lives :: "them" as in my
      children I meant :: Debbie and I, we have both done that and they are now
      becoming aware of that by the way that they see us raise Josh's child

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes :: yes

      Ben: What you describe, basically means to treat them as equals, yes? ::
      Here's a true story that happened with our first born, Jessi

      AndriusKulikauskas: Yes, engage them as equals and your maturity will be
      evident, I imagine :: and so will theirs

      Ben: When he was 3 and a half years old, after having sang and tuck thenm
      in for the night, as I was about to leave the room, Jessi said: "DAad!" ::
      His voice was definately calling for a focused attention :: That was my
      first time that I was being addressind with such a deep resonnance of
      innocence :: I had been in the habit of calling them "little guys" him and
      Josh who are 17 months apart :: So Jessi's question was: "Are we really
      LITTLE GUYS"

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes

      Ben: He was quite concern, obviously :: So I answered no, you are big
      people in little bodies. Your bodies will grow up and this is what me and
      Debbie are doin. We are teaching you to stay a big person and to help your
      body frow healthy :: He was quite taken, so I added: "You and Josh, you
      also both teach me and Debbie very much :: He began to look puzzled, so I
      asked him: "What do you teach us"? :: As soon as he heard the question, he
      went into a drifting look. He was swept away in a state of contemplation,
      which psychologisrecomment to never disturb.

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes

      Ben: They say that when it happens, it means that the child is sooking in
      and processing musch of whxt his eyes and ears and senses all together
      have seised but not grasped yet :: So after about 45 seconds, I asked,
      "So, what do you teach me and Debbie"? He came right out and said: "I am
      teaching you to learn" :: I am not kidding you, I felt pushed back until
      the wall stopped me :: To me, that is a divine experience of communion ::
      Equality, Liberty, Fraternity

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes :: that is beautfiul

      Ben: Debbie and I met 2500 miles away from our peers :: We have both been
      left out of their lives and we accepted that our lives was going to be one
      of ongoing spiritual discoveries :: We just do not know how to settle in
      the way that we can radiate the Kingdom of Heavens all the way to maturity
      :: So that the victory of communion may take us to where God can be free
      to be Himself all the way :: There is a prayer uttered by the apostle Paul
      to the Ephesians in which he expresses his desire for them to be filled
      all the way to the fullness of God. :: Those are the people whom we have
      looking for and your quest to know everything and to apply it usefully is
      right on target for that to crystalise\

      AndriusKulikauskas: I suppose the Kingdom of Heaven :: is about making
      God's truths tangible in the smallest ways, the smallest steps, the
      smallest leaps of faith :: so that everybody can participate :: so it's a
      lot about learning what people are capable of :: and structuring
      accordingly :: so that "what believe is what happens" :: makes real sense
      :: you see the big dream :: but we also need the small steps :: and you
      are taking many of them :: and it is beautiful to see :: and me too :: The
      fact that your son called is a wonderful step :: and that you answered him
      :: and that we talk about it

      Benoit: Sorry Andrius :: The phone rang, Jessi came to talk I need to go
      to the bathroom...wow...online live can sure swing!!! :: The phone was
      Josh :: The apsotle Paul speaks of being taken down but not crushed, being
      discouraged but not in despair... :: I guest that this is what he peans
      when he writes that it is by much suffering that we enter the Kingdom of
      Heaven :: means not peans :: The help room is currently very active and
      hot. Thank you for that Andrius :: I hope to somehow, repay the room in
      kind :: My problem is that feel like I would be a hypocryte, in trying to
      help others, when my own life is so troubled :: To be one or to come
      across as one :: As you wrote earlier, I have grown much and there is much
      to go yet :: It must be quite late in Bosnia. Thank you for your time and
      all of that intails in terms of vital energy supply. One day, I hope to
      bring you back some ROI according to such quality and value as your
      treatment of others as yourself...keep up the good fight Andrius...you are
      on track...Salut for now and ever...

      AndriusKulikauskas: Benoit, thank you for your wonderful words, I will
      quote you! and your presence at our help room is enormously valuable
      because :: I am working full time and we need help to staff it! :: and you
      might help yourself by helping others?
    • Franz Nahrada
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
        I am writing in response of Andrius crosspost and I know this (the
        crosspost) should be a tool we are to use more consciently and
        responsibly. (Andrius and I have worked out ideas on that that I hope to
        share in another mail, still waiting for him to come up with a proposal)

        But there is a very important point in Andriuses mail that I want to
        respond to, something that could really help us increase the visibility
        and the positioning of the whole lab. The fact that Minciu Sodas is
        engaged in the Communia process offers a lot of opportunities to
        strengthen our own ecosystem and the general ecosystem of the Open Culture
        we are part of.

        Andrius Kulikauskas writes:
        >We also have 4800 EUR to spend for travel to COMMUNIA meetings. The next
        >meeting is in London in January, 2009. We can use the money to invite
        >anybody we like, for our own purposes. However, it would be good to also
        >have a goal related to strengthening the Public Domain. For example, we
        >could organize Open Source Hardware activists. Is that something we'd like
        >to do? COMMUNIA might be a good venue for that (we'd have to note that
        >open source hardware is a "digital" matter, not a "hardware" matter). It
        >would be a way to bring Marcin, Jeff and others to Europe if there is a
        >point to that. Also, we can invite our African participants, but we have
        >had trouble getting visas. And we should consider, what is our purpose?

        so let us reflect.....

        Its very clear that incredible things are happening, especially fueled by
        the sense of urgency facing the economic and ecological crisis and the
        widespread non-acceptance of the still dominating bailout mentality. One
        particular thread of networking and activities is the OpenEverything
        movement, that emerged out of the perception that now is the time to mash
        up and create a new culture. So far, four retreats have taken place and
        for the first time, this is like a spontaneus wave of association that
        spans around the globe.

        While people at the forefront of the Intellectual Commons like Marcin are
        finally making headway in showing tangible results, while more and more
        companies are looking to quit the Intellectual Property game, there is
        broad recognition that there is a need to formulate and enact new rules of
        the game and present a viable alternative to an increasingly disoriented
        and frustrated public helplessly facing the shameless burning of the last
        holy assetts for half a years continuation of our nightmare econoimics.

        This is why people are drawn together, and there is a broad feeling that
        it is around the accord of the creative individuals of this world that a
        new culture crystallizes. It has always been as such in history, but for
        the first time the rule that we establish revolve around the individual
        and ints potential: Lets arrure the conditions that everyone can be
        creative and lets build our hope and our future on the expecatation that
        this potential of wealth and gifts will carry us further than any old form
        of social restriuctions and rationing. While the traditional left is
        reformulating its old anticreative Ideas in constructs like Parecon, to
        finally reach justice, equality and fair share, the new movement is built
        on enacting individual freedom at its extremes - but not a selfish
        individual freedom like in neoliberalism or even in some parts of the 68
        movement, but a freedom that unfolds in unforeseen dimension of social
        contributions, productive acts, problem solutions.

        Thats at the core of the new process that has no name, and OpenEverything
        is just another attempt to grab and develop the central concepts of this
        culture. This weeks gathering will happen in London, and we might want to
        consider to create links and offer the communia meeting as another step in
        the development of this culture.

        http://openeverything.net/
        http://openeverything.wik.is/London

        While OpenEverything is focusing on "things" (and does that rightfully),
        we should propose a followup meeting that is focussing on people and their
        creative potential. Actually, the core competence of our lab is the
        development of abilities and mentalities of people sharing and
        participating in Open Culture. There are so many questions related to
        this, but the central question is the shere material survival. Still the
        sad story of the Open Inventor that Vinay Gupta once presented resonates
        in my head. How can we really enact an economy of giving everything away,
        which is the kingdom of heaven for some and the free association of
        producers for others?

        Marcin has recently brought a daring and compelling perspective into
        discussion that is so important for me that I cant keep reiterating it.
        Develop mechanisms of social shares that allow us to deal with any size of
        production on the base of p2p values. Have the copernican shift happen
        where the industry revolves around the creative individual, not just a
        support economy, but an economy commonly owned by the stakeholders. Not as
        an abstract state though, but on the base of self-assigned social
        enterprises. The main quality of these social enterprises is that they
        follow their own core values, that they are open for meaningful
        cooperation and that their asociation is built on goals that are pursued
        in free cooperation.

        We feel this imminent change is around the corner, but we cannot be sure,
        we are part of the game and without us (as a community of likeminded
        individuals around the globe, not limited to Minciu Sodas peoiple) this
        change cannot happen. NO CHANGE WITHOUT US. Its going to be interesting
        times especially when Obama should be elected next week.

        So why not dedicate the communia meeting totally and entirely to this
        subject and make clear to the European commission that this is the
        all-deciding factor. People with a basic income could be selfish as
        parasites or hopelessly depressed as the native Americans Frithjof Bergman
        describes in his book - "they were like stumps of trees slowly covered by
        snow, motionless and numb, waiting for the postal plane to bring their
        social security paychecks" - or they can be activated by the discovery
        that a different fire of imagination burns in every human being, and our
        common dream can only be the resulty of nurturing and supporting and
        developing this fire. Given this potential, the investment in people would
        be a million times more productive than the bailout for the survival of
        allready rotten dead money.

        Structures like the Help Room must be there to nurture and support us in
        what we bring out, and we must boldly ask for support, showing more and
        more examples of the potential that is accumulating here. The communiy
        meeting in London might be a good ground for this.

        Franz
      • ACTWID KONGADZEM
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
          Dear Franz,
          How are you? We hope you are well and all you are
          doing at GIVE as well as working with Andrius on many
          issues related to the M.S. lab such as organising the
          Open Source Hardware activists alongside with the
          London meeting of January 2009; We here in ACTWID
          KONGADZEM are strongly feeling that organising such a
          meeting for creative activist or thinkers will go a
          long way to build sustainable ecosystems and will
          strengthen efforts already made in the field of Open
          cultures in diverse settings anywhere in the World; If
          this happens, it will be an opportunity for many
          African participants who are having long standing
          dreams to grow up to the highest levels in the open
          source and digital world so as to be able to close the
          wide gap gap of ignorance and phobia in the usage and
          control of ICTs especially women;
          Reflecting on all that you, Andrius and other experts
          in this field have been discussing, we see a very
          bright future for African women and youths who have
          nursing these interests in being trained all round on
          open sorce and its related fields usage;
          Thank you immensely for sharing;
          Sincerely Wendi , Killo Shang and other members of
          ACTWID in Cameroon

          === message truncated ===