Re: Seeing is Believing/Ken-Tom-George-All: STARS Foundation (UK) grant due late Nov (disabilities a focus)

  • Benoit Couture
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
      Salut Ken, Wendy, Janet, Andrius and all,

      Thanks Ken for raising the topic of your marathon and the context in which it was being organized.

      Thanks Wendy for being hands-on in helping out the way you do.

      Thanks Janet for using the expression "differently abled" people as opposed to disabled.

      I am grateful to the 3 of you because we are the parents of a 23 years old daughter who was born without the use of her legs as well as no control regarding her bathroom needs.  Gravity, personal living assistance and Traditional Chinese Medicine Heb's are needed for her to have a fine existence.

      When she was first born, we were immediately rushed to the hospital by the mid-wives who were assisting Debbie, my wife, in the delivery.
      24 hours later, she had been operated on surgically and we were told of what the situation was about and what we needed to prepare for, for the rest of her life.
      Upon hearing of the details of her condition and of what it was going to mean for the rest of her and our lives, I replied:

      "Well, those are her handicaps and I have mine and we all each have our own short
      comings."
      "Differently abled", makes it even more grasp-ABLE; thanks again Janet!

      As a husband and as a dad, so far, I have failed to capture and to channel the inspiration that she is to all who know her.
      When we die, we want to leave her to be cared for "the family way", as opposed to the "intitutionalised way".

       All of our efforts to get the funding needed is left to a system that considers us as a "conflict of interests", over our Daugherty's well being.
      Such a state of affair demonstrates very well how much democracy is still in its infant hood stages, struggling to stop hitting itself with the right and the left divisions, instead of realising that both, right and left are complementary to one another.

      I have also failed to generate the interest needed amongst her own brothers and friends.

      I take full responsibility for our collective failure to gel as a unit toward the future and I pray that we may guided out of such a state of paralysis, mentally, emotionally and physically.

      Our family dynamic is built around the desire to do all that she needs, while making sure that no one gets to be left behind nor neglected in any regards.
      The trail has been difficult enough that we have been in a deep crisis regarding one of our sons for the last year and a half.

      We hope to find the opportunity that such crisis offers, so that our blossom gets to radiate as far and for as many people as possible during the rest of our years on earth.

      In case you might be interested, here is a project from a couple of years ago, which did not take off but for which we are remaining open to activate anytime that the doors get to open:

      After a year, seeing that this was going nowhere, we tried to carry on with:

      So reading your thoughts here below do help me a lot in terms of not allowing myself to stay discouraged as I have been for much too long.

      Thank you all for fighting the good fight!
      Benoit