Seeing is Believing

  • Kennedy Owino
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
      Hi all,

      I am happy to share with you this.
      For the first time in Kenya, many People thronged Kenyan roads to witness and cheer up the Atheletes in one of the greatest  and toughest race in the world.
      It is deemed the toughest because it boasts the highest altitude, celebrated and great Atheletes.

      The theme of the Race was "Seeing is believing" aimed at raising awareness and sparking efforts to give someone the power of sight.
      I participated in the 42 km race (my first time) to test my power of perserverence and endurance and also to lend my heart towards the cause.
      This was a great opportunity for me to miss and the challenge proved alot to me.
      During the race i was pe-occupied by so many thoughts that kept on darting about in my mind.
      I am thus compelled to generate a Question of, How can we actively and positively impact on the empowerment of the blind, Deaf and other physically challenged people?

      In the race i managed an impressive 58 position with a personal record of 3 hours 4minutes against the new record placed by yesterdays winner (2 hours 10minutes).
      I won myself a certificate and a medal for finishing but more than that i was able to prove myself that atleast i can "talk and run not just walk".
      I am glad to have played a role in the "seeing is believing" Standard Chartered Bank Marathon.
      I could not believe i would have crossed the finishing line.

      Have a Positive and energised marathon day,

      Ken Owino
      Nafsi Africa Acrobats
      +254723568251

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
        Kennedy,
        I am so impressed by your running ability!
        and that you can think at the same time!
        even though I know you are a great acrobat, too.
        Congratulations and thank you for encouraging us to include the deaf, the
        blind and the physically challenged.
        Also, thank you for your letter and vision for the Minciu Sodas center in
        Nairobi. As I get paid, I am interested to find ways to invest my
        earnings where I can get them back as needed. Let's keep thinking about
        that and I will blog about that, too.

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am happy to share with you this.
        > For the first time in Kenya, many People thronged Kenyan roads to witness
        > and cheer up the Atheletes in one of the greatest  and toughest race in
        > the world.
        > It is deemed the toughest because it boasts the highest altitude,
        > celebrated and great Atheletes.
        >
        > The theme of the Race was "Seeing is believing" aimed at raising awareness
        > and sparking efforts to give someone the power of sight.
        > I participated in the 42 km race (my first time) to test my power of
        > perserverence and endurance and also to lend my heart towards the cause.
        > This was a great opportunity for me to miss and the challenge proved alot
        > to me.
        > During the race i was pe-occupied by so many thoughts that kept on darting
        > about in my mind.
        > I am thus compelled to generate a Question of, How can we actively and
        > positively impact on the empowerment of the blind, Deaf and other
        > physically challenged people?
        >
        > In the race i managed an impressive 58 position with a personal record of
        > 3 hours 4minutes against the new record placed by yesterdays winner (2
        > hours 10minutes).
        > I won myself a certificate and a medal for finishing but more than that i
        > was able to prove myself that atleast i can "talk and run not just walk".
        > I am glad to have played a role in the "seeing is believing" Standard
        > Chartered Bank Marathon.
        > I could not believe i would have crossed the finishing line.
        >
        > Have a Positive and energised marathon day,
        >
        > Ken Owino
        > Nafsi Africa Acrobats
        > www.nafsiafrica.org
        > +254723568251

        +1 312 618 3345
      • David mutua
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
          Ken,
          I am impressed that you participated at this year's Start chart Marathon - Congratulations.

          Many Kenyans do participate in different organised marathons in the country almost every month over a year because of different reasons - most of these are charity. The Start chart Marathon is a three years old grand prix that is participated in kenya, Malasia, Singapore and probably Japan. Almost all the marathons have involved physically challeged people and would be my advice not to re -invent the wheel - it will be easier to research on physically challenged groups and bodies that do register every year when this happens.

          Lewa Marathon of Safaricom is the oldest (Six years now), best organised and contributes more to the society than any other marathon in kenya, it has involved many groups and probably you want to explore and probably might interest you - i am sure the acrobats have participated because it involves lots of activities and it is the toughest and very entertaining because runners get to see the wild life - it is in the Lewa Conservation reserve - Meru towards Isiolo see www.lewa.org for marathon http://www.lewa.org/lewa_marathon.php

          Apologies if i shared information you already have.

          Regards
          David N. Mutua
          Programme Director
          Centre for African Learning and Development (CALD) - Kenya
          Returned VSO Volunteer.
          Independent ICT4D and Education Researcher and Practitioner.
          Tel: +254 720 462 559
          E-mail: davenzainga@... or davenzainga@...

          http://www.ms. lt

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I am happy to share with you this.
          > For the first time in Kenya, many People thronged Kenyan roads to witness
          > and cheer up the Atheletes in one of the greatest  and toughest race in
          > the world.
          > It is deemed the toughest because it boasts the highest altitude,
          > celebrated and great Atheletes.
          >
          > The theme of the Race was "Seeing is believing" aimed at raising awareness
          > and sparking efforts to give someone the power of sight.
          > I participated in the 42 km race (my first time) to test my power of
          > perserverence and endurance and also to lend my heart towards the cause.
          > This was a great opportunity for me to miss and the challenge proved alot
          > to me.
          > During the race i was pe-occupied by so many thoughts that kept on darting
          > about in my mind.
          > I am thus compelled to generate a Question of, How can we actively and
          > positively impact  on the empowerment of the blind, Deaf and other
          > physically challenged people?
          >
          > In the race i managed an impressive 58 position with a personal record of
          > 3 hours 4minutes against the new record placed by yesterdays winner (2
          > hours 10minutes).
          > I won myself a certificate and a medal for finishing but more than that i
          > was able to prove myself that atleast i can "talk and run not just walk".
          > I am glad to have played a role in the "seeing is believing" Standard
          > Chartered Bank Marathon.
          > I could not believe i would have crossed the finishing line.
          >
          > Have a Positive and energised marathon day,
          >
          > Ken Owino
          > Nafsi Africa Acrobats
          > www.nafsiafrica. org
          > +254723568251

          http://www.ms. lt
          ms@...
          +1 312 618 3345

        • Mark Roest
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
            Hello Kennedy and all,

            I think the most powerful way is to make sure that they have access to the Internet, and to specific knowledge about sustainability in their region, and that everyone else also have these two empowerments, and work collaboratively across social and tribal lines to make life work for everyone. I see people dropping the barriers to others who are outside their nations, tribes, clans and families, with the thought that we are all in it together, and that among us we know how to solve all the world's problems, or at least mitigate the damage we have already caused through our incessant competition with each other for resources, power and prestige. I see people taking their cell phones and computers and video cameras to ask the elders, what do you know that we have stopped practicing that could make life better? What stories do you know that we have stopped telling each other that can help us feel at home with life and nature and recognize the One in each other? Let's focus on gathering and organizing this information for each place where people live, and seeing how it overlaps among places and cultures, and learning the languages that are in danger of being lost, and finding the scientists and permaculturalists and bio-intensive gardeners and many other dedicated students of life who are interested in the problems we face so we can share what we see and know with them, and vice versa.

            Then, let's put all that knowledge to work creating health, happiness, and sustainable economic systems that are just and bountiful.

            While we are doing these things, we can be making sure that everyone is included in the life and communication of the community -- not just able-bodied, and not just one sex or the people who are financially successful, but everybody. In this way we can recover the joy of life and the joy of being a human in this lifetime.

            Regards,

            Mark Roest

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 28, 2008
              Hello Dear Ken and All,

              It is wonderful to hear from you and to know more of your thoughts, dreams, and work on behalf of others!  I am hoping to have more time in upcoming months (winter should give me more "space" for my own work, because there is less for me to do related to family and home) to pick up on the threads of our earlier conversations, and also to be more active at HH and related forums.

              Two areas of great mutual interest are arts and media used for social-change and humanitarian purposes, and working with and for people who are "differently abled". It is so heartening to know the latter is much on your mind too:  this is both "insightful" and "foresight-full", as I think there is more awareness and activism growing and building (though still so much more is needed) on this subject, which will hopefully translate into more programs and greater general inclusion (in thought and deed) for people with disabilities.

              It's great that you not only rose to the marathon occasion, but went beyond what you thought possible for yourself, accomplishing something previously thought impossible, or highly unlikely. People with disabilities do this every day:  not only challenging themselves and overcoming all odds, but challenging us all to overcome the shortsightedness that has kept us from including them in our thoughts, plans, projects, designs, and dreams.

              In this case "seeing" involves more than our physical sight, and "believing" allows our faith in the transcendent to take flight.

              I have run across an exciting entry related to people with disabilities at the STARS (UK) Foundation site:
              http://www.starsfoundation.org.uk/recipients/health-award/.  There are grants in several categories we might apply for, and the current cycle ends in abt a month, so there would be time to submit something. Hopefully we can talk about if and how we might approach them. It would be great if you, Tom, and others in Kenya and elsewhere (Pam and Wendi have both mentioned some connection to or awareness of people with disabilities in Nigeria and Cameroon) might be included.

              We have among us a recent awardee too!!! George Onyango (a very close friend) of SIDAREC (Nairobi) has written to say that they have won a STARS grant, and he has offered to give tips or feedback on ideas anyone applying might need.  BF George, huge congrats on your own award, and hopefully you can be of assistance here. Might there even be linkages made to SIDAREC with another grant?  Or do you think it would be better not to do that (because you've already gotten one)?

              I look forward to many more conversations and activities along these lines, and--as always--immense thanks for your caring, courage, and inspiration!  With love and blessings, Janet

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
                Dear Janet, Andrius and all,
                Thanks for your emails.We are encouraged to learn from
                others and share too with our own members here.
                Yes just as you mentioned Janet,we have infected
                people as well as some people too with disabilities
                that we all work with here so if we can do a joint
                project proposal with Sam and others it will be
                good.. We too were happy to read what George Onyango
                put down as his success.We are praying that Andrius
                should also succeed in his project which will go a
                long way to include many of us in African countries.
                Once more thank you all immensely for sharing.
                Sincerely Wendi and ACTWIID members in Cameroon.

              • Benoit Couture
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
                  Salut Ken, Wendy, Janet, Andrius and all,

                  Thanks Ken for raising the topic of your marathon and the context in which it was being organized.

                  Thanks Wendy for being hands-on in helping out the way you do.

                  Thanks Janet for using the expression "differently abled" people as opposed to disabled.

                  I am grateful to the 3 of you because we are the parents of a 23 years old daughter who was born without the use of her legs as well as no control regarding her bathroom needs.  Gravity, personal living assistance and Traditional Chinese Medicine Heb's are needed for her to have a fine existence.

                  When she was first born, we were immediately rushed to the hospital by the mid-wives who were assisting Debbie, my wife, in the delivery.
                  24 hours later, she had been operated on surgically and we were told of what the situation was about and what we needed to prepare for, for the rest of her life.
                  Upon hearing of the details of her condition and of what it was going to mean for the rest of her and our lives, I replied:

                  "Well, those are her handicaps and I have mine and we all each have our own short
                  comings."
                  "Differently abled", makes it even more grasp-ABLE; thanks again Janet!

                  As a husband and as a dad, so far, I have failed to capture and to channel the inspiration that she is to all who know her.
                  When we die, we want to leave her to be cared for "the family way", as opposed to the "intitutionalised way".

                   All of our efforts to get the funding needed is left to a system that considers us as a "conflict of interests", over our Daugherty's well being.
                  Such a state of affair demonstrates very well how much democracy is still in its infant hood stages, struggling to stop hitting itself with the right and the left divisions, instead of realising that both, right and left are complementary to one another.

                  I have also failed to generate the interest needed amongst her own brothers and friends.

                  I take full responsibility for our collective failure to gel as a unit toward the future and I pray that we may guided out of such a state of paralysis, mentally, emotionally and physically.

                  Our family dynamic is built around the desire to do all that she needs, while making sure that no one gets to be left behind nor neglected in any regards.
                  The trail has been difficult enough that we have been in a deep crisis regarding one of our sons for the last year and a half.

                  We hope to find the opportunity that such crisis offers, so that our blossom gets to radiate as far and for as many people as possible during the rest of our years on earth.

                  In case you might be interested, here is a project from a couple of years ago, which did not take off but for which we are remaining open to activate anytime that the doors get to open:

                  After a year, seeing that this was going nowhere, we tried to carry on with:

                  So reading your thoughts here below do help me a lot in terms of not allowing myself to stay discouraged as I have been for much too long.

                  Thank you all for fighting the good fight!
                  Benoit