Raila and Kibaki don't deserve the LLDs ( reply to Odhiambo)

  • George Nyongesa
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2008

      Mr. Odhiambo,

      I am replying because I think you asked your questions in good faith.

      To begin with, I have doubts about your presumption that Kenyans are indifferent about University of Nairobi awarding Kibaki and Raila honorary degrees they do not deserve.

      University of Nairobi is a public institution...funded by our taxes...no wonder all patriotic Kenyans have interest in what happens there. If you had read our news dailies in the last one week, I doubt you would have mad such sweeping presumptous remark.

      What do you think pushed Prof. Magoha to call a press conference to assuage public opinion on the (not so) honorary degrees a day before the graduation ceremony?

      I circulated the email you are responding to to other networks and the feedback I am receiving persuades me to believe that Kenyans are surely concerned. I share in there concern. That Raila and Kibaki do not deserve the degrees especially now that we see they flip-floping on implementation of Kriegler and Waki reports. The two cannot set our country on fire ( during general election) and get rewarded by our public insititution for putting out the fire they started. I know that email may never change anything but if someone is to kill you they should never rob you a right to scream. You must be very clear to show the murderer that you know they want to kill you and you are not happy.

      Mr. Odhiambo, we must begin to develop courage to challenge culture of impunity among our leaders. Why should we reward people who selfishly engineered a "brothers war" where people were raped and killed?  I also find it difficult to believe that Kenya is really at peace. What kind of peace? What peace can you have when cold and hungry in IDP camp tent?

      I am not yet qualified to be a  Vice Chancellor and I do not have a problem with Prof. Magoha seeking another term at the University of Nairobi. What I have problem with is Prof. George Magoha purchasing political support with honorary degrees. I find that to be nothing but corruption. Then my question, what else could he be corrupting?

      I have particular interest in our country and I am actively involved in the public affairs. I work on public initiatives to help raise public consciousness on happenings that sometimes we consider does not affect us...while if we had critically considered issues at hand we would realize otherwise. I am interested to input into public efforts that will build an informed citizenry...because I would like to see improved accountability among our leaders across the society and this is only possible if our people learnt to question any public affair they perceive suspicious.

      While I may not succesful convince you through this email I want to encourage you Mr. Odhiambo to join other Kenyans who are seeking accountable leaderhip in Kenya at all levels.

      Kind regards,
      George Nyongesa
      Bunge la Mwananchi