"nabuur " communities - development through ( online ) collaboration

  • Dante-Gabryell Monson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2008
      The following sites description forwarded to me by Marilyn seems of interest ( even though its access seems blocked to me here at the university library computers )

      http://www.nabuur.com

      Nabuur (IPA[naːbyr]) is a website consisting of a number of online communities, or villages. It aims to help in the development of impoverished communities by enabling people from other countries to help the community members through Nabuur's website

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabuur

      " Nabuur strives to be an anti-hierarchical, self-organizing, open-source network whose volunteers help people in the developing world directly, based on what those people ask of them.

      "I'm interested in a new organizational concept," said Nabuur's founder, Siegfried Woldhek, "where a local community calls the shots" in determining the advice or assistance they want. "

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2008
        Dear All,

        Greetings to you from KENYA.

        We are a group of 20 women who came together to form the JUMUIYA WOMEN GROUP- The name JUMUIYA connotes unity of women. We cam etogether to tackle the abject poverty that contnue to bedevil the women in rural areas.

        Arising from the recent post elections violence in KENYA, we have seen women reduced to sex slaves in which they engage in sex for trade. We would like to chnage all this by helping them to engage in profitbale diary goat farming. Accordingly we have develped a proposal in which we need to raise some funds to go into the purchase of hybrid dairy goats and construct a goat pen. When the goats are all bought and start giving birth, we will sell the young she goats at half the prize to women groups or individuals willing to engage in this profitbale business. But the weak and vulnerable women, we will support them by donating a goat to them.This will hopefully help them to jumpstart a new life of independence.

        We have acquired a five-acre land from a member which we are to lease for five years at no cost.

        To this end, we wish to appeal to all of you to consider supporting our group with the satetd funds to enable us engage in this business.

        Yours sincerely

        DORCAS KOSKEY
        CHAIRLADY
        JUMUIYA WOMEN GROUP