Re: [holistichelping] Wendi, Janet , all help with Includer blog!/Tom and Peter: new ideas (yes!)/"family"

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2008
      Dear Andrius and All,

      Hello and thanks immensely for all this wonderful news! I'm delighted abt
      the flashdrives, Andrius and Wendi, and am sure they will be helpful.

      My apologies for taking some time to respond to this note: I have been off
      in another world, it seems, doing a lot offline with caregiving, and also
      some things related to Haiti, a place where I have deep roots and many
      friends.

      Andrius, I have no recent pix of myself, and the one I am using when people
      ask for photos is a funny one (an international woman of mystery...in a
      beret and sunglasses, holding a piece of folk art I call "Vincent Van Cat").
      Is that OK, or do you want ones where people can actually see my face :)))?

      The only one I can think of, which I don't like that much but it suits the
      purpose, is the photo that goes with the story abt me--written for a RI
      newspaper--that you have posted among MS materials, Andrius (not sure
      exactly where it is now).

      I think it's a wonderful idea to do the blog like a storybook/novel, and we
      can surely think of many more ideas to contribute on the theme of technology
      and inclusion.

      Some ideas that come to mind, related to people you mention below, are
      linked to disabilities (or differing abilities) and inclusion, HIV/AIDS and
      inclusion, rural communities and inclusion, agriculture/farming, young
      people, women. I think of some of this related to Tom Ochuka and Peter
      Ongele, given the work they do.

      An arts/handcrafts focus would be interesting (I'm thinking of Wendi and
      Sam), and the preservation-sharing-dissemination of traditional knowledge
      (Fantsuam Foundation). Some focus related to income-generation, as well as
      to ICTs directly (training on, access to, building of) would also be great.

      I think it's very important for us to move beyond the "donor-recipient"
      approach to helping others, so I am eager to pick up on some of these ideas
      related to research and other things we might do to engage with and include
      the deaf community in Kenya and elsewhere in our MS-related work, as well as
      helping to make linkages from the local to the international levels for and
      among people with disabilities, and between these individuals and groups and
      the world-at-large.

      The bottom line in all of this, as David so rightly characterized it, is
      understanding that we are "family": the people here at MS, those of us
      living in the urban USA and those of us living in rural Cameroon, those of
      us who are hearing and those of us who do not hear but who have many other
      abilities, those of us affected by HIV/AIDS and those of us who are not. If
      we work with that in mind, inclusion will become both a way of "viewing" and
      a way of "doing".

      Thanks so much to you and all, and I will be back more regularly as soon as
      possible. Do let me know abt the pix too (esp the one where I am "feline
      fine", haha!).

      With love and blessings, Janet

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2008
        Dear Janet,
          Sorry for much care thi s time hope you got some mails to you about some activities with us ,,just recently the deaf as adisabled group can achive much by networking nad inclussion. your concern for this gruop has made us achieve much.most of this we ha  dicussed with you like about juiliana and all.see aseparate note
        Thanks
        TOM OCHUKA

> [...]
        > what "we want". I ask us - I challenge us - to think how we can be there
        > for each other as we would like to, for that is a foundation for a real
        > economy. I think of Tom Ochuka - rather than simply donations for
        > Christine, can we think through work or research that the deaf community
        > might do for us all to earn such money. I think of Peter Ongele - can we
        > think through what a mobile phone recharging business might look like and
        > what kind of loan or arrangement could get it started? I think of Marcin
        > Jakubowski and his crowdsourcing strategy for Factor E Farm - how might we
        > work together and invest in each other? I think of myself - who would like
        > to invest themselves in establishing a help center or other projects and
        > how might we share resources? who might I turn to if I need help or
        > credit four months from now? and who can I and others help in the

      • Sabrina Jung
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2008
          Hey dear all,

          does anybody know people who know more about
          COB HOUSE BUILDING

          SOLAR ENERGY RESOURCES IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES LIKE KENYA

          PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CREATE A CREATIVE NETWORK IN KENYA

          ??? I am interested to get into touch with people of such an interest to share and get joined together.
          Thanks a lot,
          Best wishes and with appreciation of this wonderful group,

          Mina

          On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 1:26 PM, tom ochuka <tomochuka@...> wrote:

> [...]

          > what "we want". I ask us - I challenge us - to think how we can be there
          > for each other as we would like to, for that is a foundation for a real
          > economy. I think of Tom Ochuka - rather than simply donations for
          > Christine, can we think through work or research that the deaf community
          > might do for us all to earn such money. I think of Peter Ongele - can we
          > think through what a mobile phone recharging business might look like and
          > what kind of loan or arrangement could get it started? I think of Marcin
          > Jakubowski and his crowdsourcing strategy for Factor E Farm - how might we
          > work together and invest in each other? I think of myself - who would like
          > to invest themselves in establishing a help center or other projects and
          > how might we share resources? who might I turn to if I need help or
          > credit four months from now? and who can I and others help in the

          Jung Sabrina (Mina)
          International Director of Mina Academy
          RSS 25
          13591 Jaerna
          Sweden

          Mobile: +46-765810127
          Skype: miwenda

          Jacob Ogweno Ogweno
          Local Director and Project Coordinator of Mina Academy
          P.O.BOX 192
          40305 Mbita
          Kenya

          Mobile: +245726095945

          www.minaacademykenya.blogspot.com
          www.picasaweb.google.com/mina.academy
          www.idem-network.org
          www.yip.se
        • Samwel Kongere
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2008
            I am home in Rusinga after various visits. Am joining
            Peter and Graham in working with solar power. At home
            am using solar power charging phones et al. I am
            grateful to Ricardo, Chris and Graham. I will up date
            you Mina while i go to Nairobi to meet others.
            Samwel.

            cgi?IncluderBlog<http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?IncluderBlog>

            > > > I invite all of us to send ideas, texts,
            > information about inclusion
            > > > and/or the Includer. I will draw from them. The
            > blog is a great
            > > > opportunity to link to our people and our
            > websites. It shows up, for
            > > > example, on Google News. More generally,
            > anything that you think the

            === message truncated ===

          • Samwel Kongere
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2008
              --- Samwel Kongere <jambita1@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > the world-at-large.
              > > >
              > > > The bottom line in all of this, as David so
              > > rightly characterized it, is
              > > > understanding that we are "family": the people
              > > here at MS, those of us
              > > > living in the urban USA and those of us living
              > in
              > > rural Cameroon, those of
              > > > us who are hearing and those of us who do not
              > hear
              > > but who have many other
              > > > abilities, those of us affected by HIV/AIDS and
              > > those of us who are not. If
              > > >
              > > > we work with that in mind, inclusion will become
              > > both a way of "viewing"
              > > > and
              > > > a way of "doing".
              > > >
              > > > Thanks so much to you and all, and I will be
              > back
              > > more regularly as soon as
              > > >
              > > > possible. Do let me know abt the pix too (esp

              === message truncated ===