Re: [mendenyo] Welcome! DIY Solar in Nepal

  • graham
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2008
      Dear All,

      I am delighted to learn of Albert Horowitz's interest in using the DIY Solar technique
      in Nepal and will send him more details if he emails me at biodes@...
      We have sent requested free samples to several NGOs in Nepal but
      none have yet taken it up.

      Reading on I see a mention of solar pumping and wonder if he might be
      interested in trying out a tiny $20 - 12v pump idea?
      This can, in principal, produce running water for several homes but has never been
      properly tested.

      Graham

      I welcome new people to our groups, including from the Yahoo! town meeting
      I attended yesterday in Chicago, and Sarah Susanka of
      http://www.notsobig house.com, she is a champion of the pattern language
      movement!

      Albert Horowitz called me from San Francisco and I am signing him up for
      several of our Minciu Sodas working groups:

      Mendenyo ("men without food") led by Samwel Kongere of Kenya.
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/mendenyo/
      Albert called because of Graham Knight's do-it-yourself solar electricity
      http://biodesign. webeden.co. uk and our project with Peter Ongele in Kenya
      to try out solar panels for recharging mobile phone batteries. Albert is
      traveling to Nepal in October, he would like to apply this technology
      there. Graham and Peter are active at Mendenyo and I am sure they can
      help! Albert has set up ICT centers and data processing businesses in
      Nepal and we're interested to learn from him and expand such
      opportunities. http://www.gapnepal .com They fit well with my plans for an
      online help center. I urge us to speak up, whoever is interested!

      Global Villages led by Franz Nahrada of Austria.
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/globalvill ages/
      Albert is an architect and familiar with pattern language thinking. In
      general, Albert is interested in low-cost, low-tech technologies. He's
      working with Echo on a solar water pump. Albert is interested if our lab
      might test out certain technologies. Marcin Jakubowski of Factor E Farm
      is active at Global Villages, he has a wonderful video blog of innovation
      at their farm, including an open source tractor and compressed earth block
      machine http://openfarmtech .org/weblog/ and Marcin is ever cultivating
      his vision, including crowdsource funding and research.

      Learning From Each Other led by Pamela McLean of the UK.
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/learningfr omeachother/
      Pamela connects low-bandwidth and high-bandwidth people around the world.
      She travels now to Nigeria. She leads our work to create a world without
      poverty, as inspired by Mohammad Yunnus's book on social business.

      Holistic Helping led by Janet Feldman of the US.
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/holistiche lping/
      Janet's deepest value in life is "holistic helping".
      Albert's is: "realization that we're all one and connected and somehow we
      have to help each other and so what matters are the friendships you create
      as you go along - friends and family and when I wake up in the morning I
      want to continue the day and I don't want to end because it is who I am".
      Albert asks: "Why are people cruel to each other?

      Mark Roest, Edward Cherlin and David Alan Foster are in Silicon Valley. I
      met them through One Village Foundation
      http://www.onevilla gefoundation. org and I hope you might meet!

      http://www.ms. lt
      ms@...
      +1 312 618 3345

    • Sabrina Jung
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2008
        hey,
        I am interested too in that solar energy source! Could you please send me a link or more information, please!? Thanks a lot!
        Best regards,

        Mina

        On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:51 AM, graham <DIYSolar@...> wrote:

[...]

        Jung Sabrina (Mina)
        International Director of Mina Academy
        Dorneckstr.1
        4143 Dornach
        Switzerland

        Mobile: +417678017829
        Skype: miwenda

        Jacob Ogweno Ogweno
        Local Director and Project Coordinator of Mina Academy
        P.O.BOX 192
        40305 Mbita
        Kenya

        Mobile: +245726095945