Welcome! DIY Solar in Nepal

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2008
      I welcome new people to our groups, including from the Yahoo! town meeting
      I attended yesterday in Chicago, and Sarah Susanka of
      http://www.notsobighouse.com, she is a champion of the pattern language
      movement!

      Albert Horowitz called me from San Francisco and I am signing him up for
      several of our Minciu Sodas working groups:

      Mendenyo ("men without food") led by Samwel Kongere of Kenya.
      Albert called because of Graham Knight's do-it-yourself solar electricity
      http://biodesign.webeden.co.uk and our project with Peter Ongele in Kenya
      to try out solar panels for recharging mobile phone batteries. Albert is
      traveling to Nepal in October, he would like to apply this technology
      there. Graham and Peter are active at Mendenyo and I am sure they can
      help! Albert has set up ICT centers and data processing businesses in
      Nepal and we're interested to learn from him and expand such
      opportunities. http://www.gapnepal.com They fit well with my plans for an
      online help center. I urge us to speak up, whoever is interested!

      Global Villages led by Franz Nahrada of Austria.
      Albert is an architect and familiar with pattern language thinking. In
      general, Albert is interested in low-cost, low-tech technologies. He's
      working with Echo on a solar water pump. Albert is interested if our lab
      might test out certain technologies. Marcin Jakubowski of Factor E Farm
      is active at Global Villages, he has a wonderful video blog of innovation
      at their farm, including an open source tractor and compressed earth block
      machine http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/ and Marcin is ever cultivating
      his vision, including crowdsource funding and research.

      Learning From Each Other led by Pamela McLean of the UK.
      Pamela connects low-bandwidth and high-bandwidth people around the world.
      She travels now to Nigeria. She leads our work to create a world without
      poverty, as inspired by Mohammad Yunnus's book on social business.

      Holistic Helping led by Janet Feldman of the US.
      Janet's deepest value in life is "holistic helping".
      Albert's is: "realization that we're all one and connected and somehow we
      have to help each other and so what matters are the friendships you create
      as you go along - friends and family and when I wake up in the morning I
      want to continue the day and I don't want to end because it is who I am".
      Albert asks: "Why are people cruel to each other?

      Mark Roest, Edward Cherlin and David Alan Foster are in Silicon Valley. I
      met them through One Village Foundation
      http://www.onevillagefoundation.org and I hope you might meet!

      +1 312 618 3345