Re: [holistichelping] The World Connectory Project

  • Peter Burgess
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2008
      Dear Colleagues

      Andrius has described something very interesting ... at least to me.

      Most of what Andrius describes in his message resonates with me ...
      and is to a great extent the underlying reason for the development and
      deployment of Community Accountancy (CA).

      While MS under the guidance of Andrius has a people focus that is
      powerful ... CA tries to merely deal with data. CA has a neutral
      position. The data aim to represent the underlying facts or reality
      ... and anyone can use the data to analyze, learn and draw
      conclusions.

      But the value of data is not in having the data and doing the analysis
      and writing the report, but in using data so that something gets
      better. CA is not academic ... merely trying to collect data so that
      the university library has another study ... but is trying to collect
      data so that better decisions are made ... trying to have data so that
      people can be held accountable and get credit for good performance.

      I am trying to collaborate with Peter Ongele on some questions about
      malaria ... so far we don't have external funding ... but that does
      not stop the data having really important value. This year as much as
      $500 million will be disbursed on bednet programs in Africa ... yet
      there are little data circulating with the decision makers that
      confirm that bednets are cost effective. From an accountant's
      perspective, this is unacceptable ... but for those being funded it is
      perfectly fine. Tr-Ac-Net's mission is to change this ... to get a
      paradigm shift so that neutral data are central socio-economic decison
      making.

      Wish us well!

      Sincerely

      Peter Burgess
      Peter Burgess
      The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
      www.tr-ac-net.org
      Community Accountancy
      Integrated Malaria Management Consortium (IMMC)
      917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@...