UN, Safaricom launch peace campaign in Kenya this week (International Peace Week)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2008
      UN, Safaricom launch peace campaign in Kenya

      September 18, 2008

      Kenya's leading mobile phone operator, Safaricom, and the United
      Nations on Thursday launched a peace initiative dubbed the Text For
      Peace Campaign to enable Kenyans send peace text messages ahead of
      the International Peace Day next week.

      Safaricom CEO Michael Joseph told a news conference in Nairobi the
      campaign will run from Sept. 18 to 21 during which Kenyans will be
      invited to send messages of peace to short code 222, provided by
      Safaricom.

      "These messages will then be collated and presented as the messages
      of Peace from Kenyans at the 63rd UN General Assembly in New York on
      Sept. 21. The UN is also running similar campaigns around the world,"
      said Joseph.

      "Safaricom is proud to be part of this initiative. I thank the
      mediation team for coming here today. Their presence today will
      further enhance the campaign and I am confident that Kenyans will
      send messages of peace that will inspire world leaders that peace can
      be achieved. Kenya is a true example of this," Joseph told a media
      briefing.

      He said Kenyans who send a Peace Message will receive a simple reply
      from Safaricom acknowledging the receipt of their peace message.

      All the messages will then be collected in a database and sent on
      daily basis to the UN, for onward forwarding to the UN General
      Assembly in scheduled to be held in New York on Sept. 21.

      "Peace is the paramount UN mission. It is the basis of our existence.
      The essence of our identify. The cause that animates everything we,"
      said head of the UN Office in Nairobi Anna Tibaijuka.

      "It is also an opportunity to recall how close we came to the brink
      of disaster in Kenya and how we were given a second chance to regain
      our footing and create a better atmosphere for a lasting peace and
      increased democracy," she said.

      Kenya's Constitutional Affairs Minister Martha Karua urged Kenyans to
      unite the country by sending peace messages especially after the post-
      election crisis which nearly brought down the East African nation's
      economy.

      "We never know how precious peace is until it is disrupted. It's
      through communication that we convey hate and peace messages. Kenyans
      should value peace and not disturb anybody's peace," she said.