Re: URGENT (TIME SENSITIVE): Petition on Sexual Violence By Kenyan Police Needs Your Support!

  • job.2007
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2008
      --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Feldman" <kaippg@...>
      wrote:

      > TAKE ACTION ON KENYA POLICE VIOLENCE TODAY
      >
      > SIGNATURES NEEDED BY EARLY NEXT WEEK
      >

      > July 29, 2008
      >
      > Dear friends and colleagues,
      >
      > On Tuesday, July 8, senior police officers in Nairobi, Kenya,
      beat, sexually violated, and arrested a group of seven civil society
      advocates as they planned a peaceful protest against government
      corruption. Two of them, including Ann Njogu, a leading democratic
      voice and Kenyan lawyer who helped push through Kenya's landmark
      Sexual Offences Act, suffered sexual violations.

      > The Kenyan Group of Seven are now facing court trial on August
      8, and they need your help TODAY--THIS WEEK.

      > We're asking you to add your voice today to send an urgent
      message to Kenya's President Mwai Kibaki and his government
      colleagues. We are demanding that the President act immediately to
      drop all charges against these Kenyan citizens, and to arrest the
      police who perpetrated these crimes against citizens exercising
      their constitutionally-protected rights of assembly and speech. We
      are asking him to take stronger action to assure that the police are
      prosecuted for violating Kenyan laws outlawing sexual violence.

      > As many of you know, these latest arrests are not happening in a
      vacuum. Since post-election violence broke out in January, reports
      show that sexual violence has risen by 7500% -- an astonishing
      statistic – according to the Crime Scene Investigation (CSI) group
      in Nairobi.

      > We will share this Joint Statement on Stop Police Violence in
      Kenya with African and global leaders, including those at the
      United Nations, the European and African Unions, and the US
      government. We are urging these leaders to speak out and join us in
      signing this global Statement of Support.

      > We are hoping to gather at least 50 signatures by early next
      week – before our colleagues in Kenya go to court August 8. Will you
      help us?

      > Please email your signature. Send us your NAME, AFFILIATION and
      COUNTRY (below) to be added to our sign-on names.

      address below, and mark it "Attn: Kenya Petition": weactx@...

      > And please keep the momentum going by forwarding the petition on
      to some of your friends once you've had a chance to sign. Thanks for
      joining me in this important struggle. It means a lot.

      > Thanks,
      >

      > Anne-christine d'Adesky, Journalist and member Athena, WE-ACTx
      >
      > Confirmed signatures (beginning 7/28/08 ) include:
      >
      > 1. World YWCA
      >
      > 2. AIDS-Free World
      >
      > 3. Athena Network
      >
      > 4. World Pulse Magazine, US
      >
      > 5. Global AIDS Alliance, US
      >
      > 6. Sonke Gender Justice Network
      >
      > 7. James Onyango, KAIPPG Kenya, Kenya
      >
      > 8. Janet Feldman, KAIPPG International, USA
      >
      > 9. ActALIVE, USA and Global
      >
      > 10. Fidèle RUTAYISIRE, Rwanda Men's Resource Centre, RWANDA
      >
      > 11. Marlise Richter, Steve Biko Centre for Bioethics, Wits
      Universit, South Africa