Re: [globalvillages] Andrius in San Francisco

  • Jeff Buderer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31 5:52 AM
      Michael,

      Good to hear from you. I keep seeing content from P2P on the web so it seems your efforts are bring forth some success in terms of getting the word out about your work.

      Speaking of links Mike Burnmister-Brown of Open-mesh.com - http://open-mesh.com/ has link to P2P site in the news section: http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/peernet-constructing-the-open-mesh/2008/03/16.

      We are currently working at developing Open Digital Village concept into a social enterprise venture working several groups and have been involved in the Wireless Africa Initiative which is seeking to consider how we can develop business models to improve the sustainability of community wireless networks. OVF Ghana is organizing a workshop on Outcome Mapping in Aug.

      Also Gary Bolles is having his social capital markets conference in SF in Oct (13) and I thought this might be of interest to you.

      More later...

      Jeff

      On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Michael Bauwens <michelsub2003@...> wrote:

      Hi Andrius,

      very good article about the geek social milieu of the bay area mentions you on page 4:

      http://www.sanfranmag.com/story/so-open-it-hurts

      quote is about chris messina:

      "One of Messina's early influences was an obscure Lithuanian philosopher
      named Andrius Kulikauskas whose manifesto, "An Economy for Giving
      Everything Away," argues that the best way to find the answer to a
      problem is to look at what other people are doing, then share your data
      so that others can benefit. "The value," Messina says, "is no longer in
      having monopolistic control over the entire conversation."

      He
      stumbled on the paper during high school in Manchester, New Hampshire,
      where he was a bright, restless kid with a libertarian streak. "I
      rejected the way that school was done," he recalls. "In class, we did
      rote exercises. I thought, 'All of these problems have been solved
      before; why not work on things that enrich the world?'" He was
      artistic, with an innate grasp of all things tech—"I had no fear of
      destroying computers and putting them back together again, much to my
      parents' chagrin"—so web design was a natural outlet. But when Messina
      created a web page for a gay student group, he was suspended. "It gave
      me the feeling that I couldn't trust these institutions," he says.
      Traditional modes of protest, like the rallies he attended as an ACLU
      volunteer in college, left him even more cynical. Harnessing the
      Internet to spread ideas was "a better use of energy then yelling at
      someone you don't like," he decided.

      More than anything, Messina
      wanted to make technology accessible to people like his parents and
      customers in his first job, as a troubleshooter for an Internet
      provider. "They would have the same problems again and again, and it
      was so humiliating to want to connect with people but have the
      technology get in the way. I thought it was unfair that as the world
      was moving toward increased technology, a great number of peo­ple were
      being left behind."
      The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer alternatives.

      Wiki and Encyclopedia, at http://p2pfoundation.net; Blog, at http://blog.p2pfoundation.net; Newsletter, at http://integralvisioning.org/index.php?topic=p2p

      Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html; video interview, at http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/09/29/network_collaboration_peer_to_peer.htm