URGENT (TIME SENSITIVE): Petition on Sexual Violence By Kenyan Police Needs Your Support!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2008

      TAKE ACTION ON KENYA POLICE VIOLENCE TODAY

      SIGNATURES NEEDED BY EARLY NEXT WEEK

      July 29, 2008

      Dear friends and colleagues,

      On Tuesday, July 8, senior police officers in Nairobi, Kenya, beat, sexually violated, and arrested a group of seven civil society advocates as they planned a peaceful protest against government corruption. Two of them, including Ann Njogu, a leading democratic voice and Kenyan lawyer who helped push through Kenya's landmark Sexual Offences Act, suffered sexual violations.

      The Kenyan Group of Seven are now facing court trial on August 8, and they need your help TODAY--THIS WEEK.

      We're asking you to add your voice today to send an urgent message to Kenya's President Mwai Kibaki and his government colleagues. We are demanding that the President act immediately to drop all charges against these Kenyan citizens, and to arrest the police who perpetrated these crimes against citizens exercising their constitutionally-protected rights of assembly and speech. We are asking him to take stronger action to assure that the police are prosecuted for violating Kenyan laws outlawing sexual violence.

      As many of you know, these latest arrests are not happening in a vacuum. Since post-election violence broke out in January, reports show that sexual violence has risen by 7500% -- an astonishing statistic – according to the Crime Scene Investigation (CSI) group in Nairobi.

      We will share this Joint Statement on Stop Police Violence in Kenya  with African and global leaders, including those at the United Nations, the European and African Unions, and the US government. We are urging these leaders to speak out and join us in signing this global Statement  of Support.

      We are hoping to gather at least 50 signatures by early next week – before our colleagues in Kenya go to court August 8. Will you help us?

      Please email your signature. Send us your NAME, AFFILIATION and COUNTRY (below) to be added to our sign-on names.

      EMAIL BY FRIDAY (or early next week at the latest) to the email address below, and mark it "Attn: Kenya Petition":  weactx@...

      And please keep the momentum going by forwarding the petition on to some of your friends once you've had a chance to sign. Thanks for joining me in this important struggle. It means a lot.

      Thanks,

      Anne-christine d'Adesky, Journalist and member Athena, WE-ACTx

      Confirmed signatures  (beginning 7/28/08 ) include:

      1.      World YWCA

      2.      AIDS-Free World

      3.      Athena Network

      4.      World Pulse Magazine, US

      5.      Global AIDS Alliance, US

      6.      Sonke Gender Justice Network

      7.      James Onyango, KAIPPG Kenya, Kenya

      8.      Janet Feldman, KAIPPG International, USA

      9.      ActALIVE, USA and Global

      10.  Fidèle RUTAYISIRE, Rwanda Men's Resource Centre, RWANDA

      11.  Marlise Richter, Steve Biko Centre for Bioethics, Wits Universit, South Africa

      YES I WANT TO ADD MY NAME:

      Name _________________________________

      Affiliation ______________________________

      Country ________________________________