Let's design a survey of our computers and Internet access

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2008
      I wrote this letter to Learn How to Learn, but I also share with other
      groups at our Minciu Sodas laboratory, perhaps we have ideas for our
      survey. Andrius Kulikauskas
      --------------------

      Ed, That's great news about the Alibaba NPX-9000 laptop for $130 (when
      purchasing 50)
      http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/21/worlds-cheapest-laptop-may-just-be-the-worlds-cheapest-laptop/

      Michal, Thank you for writing! and I look forward to your writing at our
      wiki.

      Graham, I'm glad that you've started your new group:
      Nice photo! Please let me know if you'd like your group to be part of our
      Minciu Sodas network.

      Ricardo, Thank you for setting up the wiki page:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?IncluderWayForwardJuly2008
      A next step is to write a survey that we can keep updating regarding our
      participants in Africa and elsewhere who would like computers and/or make
      better use of Internet access.

      Here are some questions for our survey...

      Please describe the computers that you typically use:
      * How many hours per week do you use it?
      * Who owns it?
      * What are the specifications? (Speed, memory, ports...)
      * What is the operating system?
      * What do you do with the computer?
      * What software do you use?
      * Where is the computer located?
      * How do you get to the computer?
      * How long do you have to travel?
      * How much does the travel cost?
      * Do you have to wait before you can use the computer? How long?
      * Is the computer available when you want it? How well does that fit with
      your schedule?
      * Do you have to pay to use the computer? How much?
      * How much would this computer cost if you were to buy it today?

      Please describe for each kind of Internet access that you typically use:
      * How many hours per week are you online?
      * How many times per week are you online?
      * How long are you online each time?
      * How fast is your connection? (How long does it take for you to download
      a 100KB file?)
      * What is the largest file that you can reliably download? upload?
      * Are you able to use Skype (audeo? or video?)
      * How many browser windows do you typically keep open at once?
      * Where do you have to go?
      * How much do you have to pay?

      Please describe how you prepare for your online time:
      * Do you have a USB flash drive? or other storage media?
      * Do you write letters or texts offline?
      * Do you read letters or texts offline?
      * Do you share files with others when you are offline? What kinds of files?

      What do you do online?
      * Do you have a website?
      * Do you upload files? from what kind of devices? (camera, etc.)

      What would you like to be able to do with a better computer and better
      Internet access?

      +1 312 618 3345