Re: [holistichelping] Minciu Sodas and Sustainability

  • Jeff Buderer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2008
      Andrius,

      How are you?

      Good to see you are in USA and met with Janet.

      Hope the meeting went well.

      I am still at Arcosanti in Arizona. If you are going this way be please do stop by.

      I think math basically is something I am weak in and yet for sustainable design and community development and research it is very important to have the math worked out for your projects.

      I do think what you are saying may fit with that.

      focus on the mathematical challenge of "minimal principles for distributed social networking" which is to say, what are the principles needed for different groups to build one each other's work in a shared culture? This is central to a culture of independent thinkers and even a "kingdom of heaven".

      However could you explain the specifics? Basically my interepretation or take on all this is how to scale out models of development for social networks that are more holistic and sustainable as an alternative to the corporate monoculture model of contemporary society that is killing both indigenous culture as well as ecological diversity and vitality across the planet at a shocking pace.

      Thus we are connecting systems using ICT to measure viability of systems to address community needs while preserving or restoring ecological diversity while offering models that are economically competitive with existing ones.

      At the root level how do we develop a curriculum that engages the student in a holistic way but with a strong math basis so that they have the skills to integrate these technologies in an effective way to empower themselves as well as  others in their networks.

      Jeff

      On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:00 AM, <ms@...> wrote:

      Hi to all from Andrius. I'm leaving Boston for Chicago today.

      Adrian Bowles (http://www.sig411.com Sustainability Insights Group) I
      won't have Internet access tonight, but briefly, my cell phone is (312)
      618-3345. I can write a summary for you describing Minciu Sodas and our
      interests in sustainability. I ask our participants Franz Nahrada, Jeff
      Buderer, Mark Roest, Marcin Jakubowski, Ben de Vries and others to share
      thoughts.

      Yesterday I met with Janet Feldman of our Holistic Helping group. I am
      thinking to focus my proposal to Stephen Wolfram, inventor of Mathematica
      and founder of "A New Kind of Science", to focus on the mathematical
      challenge of "minimal principles for distributed social networking" which
      is to say, what are the principles needed for different groups to build
      one each other's work in a shared culture? This is central to a culture
      of independent thinkers and even a "kingdom of heaven". Stephen Wolfram
      is very keen to understand the strengths and weaknesses of social network
      movements. My thought is to start with an analysis (making good use of
      mathematical exploration) of our Pyramid of Peace
      http://www.pyramidofpeace.net initiative in Kenya, and also other groups
      active in Kenya outside our network, and also catalogue "civilization
      networks", online and on-the-ground, around the world, which we might
      engage. http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?CivilizationNetworks

      From there I'd expand to mathematical topics related to marginal Internet
      access and the Includer http://www.includer.org and from there to
      questions of Global Village design, which might be thought of as local
      centers for civilization networks.

      I invite our thoughts.

      +1 312 618 3345
      skype: minciusodas