Re: [holistichelping] Steps towards Math Literacy/suggestions: peace/conflict resolution and more/Andrius and Meadowlea

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2008
      Dear Andrius and All,

      This is a too-quick mail to say that I did not know you are staying with
      Meadowlea, who I have long wanted to meet. It would be terrific if you and
      she were able to drive here Sunday: Meadowlea, do you have a car and could
      you drive to RI? If you do not come this time, you are always welcome in
      any case...I didn't realize we lived so close together!

      Andrius (and all), on the math projects you mention, I started thinking abt
      this for HH after seeing some of what has been written by you today, and
      also your mention of the Berkman Center (with its link to Global
      Voices/Rising Voices and to Harvard programs generally) and Harvard Law
      School, in addition to the Honeybee Network, which served as a model for the
      original GenARDIS proposal I co-wrote for KAIPPG Kenya in 2003 (GenARDIS
      being a program focusing on women, agriculture, and technology).

      Because I studied conflict resolution at Harvard, was trained there as a
      mediator, and also worked for the Harvard Mediation Program (a program at
      the Law School), I started thinking abt how we at HH might focus on a
      holistic project involving peace and conflict resolution (such as training
      peer mediators to do peace-related work, with a focus on how many are
      trained, how many they are able to train, how many cases are resolved via
      alternative conflict resolution--and how many of those stay resolved--and
      other questions that will hopefully involve more than just "quantitative"
      data...issues such as life quality, harmony in the community, et al would be
      something more qualitative).

      There could be linkages to the Pyramid of Peace and Pads for Peace (if that
      is the name we choose) work, and also to poverty amelioration and
      eradication, ICTs, citizen media and the arts (Rising Voices members are
      among us, for example, and David Sasaki is w/us at ActALIVE), food security
      and the MyFoodStory project, sustainable development both at the macro and
      micro levels.

      One link to Seth Young and the Democracy Project for Holistic Helping would
      be the impact of our emergency phone network, a wonderful and possibly
      life-saving (according to Dennis and others) use of ICTs (mobile phones and
      airtime, in this case) for sociopolitical purposes. I would like to see
      this work extended, not only in Kenya but also in ZW and everywhere, and
      others have spoken of their interest in this as well (for example, Pam's
      contact Mary Brennan, who asked abt using our POP model in ZW). I would
      love to help design a math-related project around that (how many signed up,
      how many helped, how much of the country-region-globe covered, how much
      outreach by participants to new members, what impact on peace and
      understanding among peoples, et al).

      The Includer work and anything related to addressing poverty and sustainable
      development--including ICTs-enhanced development and sustainable design--are
      crucial for all of us to focus on, because without this work and mindset we
      will not be able to build and implement holistic solutions, so necessary for
      each of us as individuals, for groups-communities-countries, and for the
      world as a whole.

      I would very much like to suggest that we focus some of our energies on how
      we are going to mesh and integrate what will be going on in the different
      forums, so that we can apply what we are doing to addressing bedrock issues
      such as poverty and food insecurity, which fuel health-related problems such
      as HIV/AIDS, spark conflicts over scarce resources and lack of
      opportunities, degrade the environment, and in general cause deep misery for
      billions, especially for women and young people.

      I look forward to talking abt this and more on Sunday with Andrius, and with
      everyone else in our related forums into the future! Andrius, plz let me
      know today or tomorrow abt my friend picking you up in Providence on
      Sunday...I will need to let her know tomorrow if she has to do that on her
      way to us on Sunday (she usually comes here at 10am, so it's OK if she picks
      you up at 10:20-30, when the train comes in, and is a bit late).

      With love and greatest blessings, Janet