Re: [mendenyo] Peter, Graham, next steps with solar panels?/Kofi-Peter Ongele-Peter Burgess

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2008
      Dear All,

      Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings, both privately and
      publicly. There is a place for each sphere, and everything that has been
      voiced is important to discuss among us publicly and/or to consider in our
      own personal "space" and time.

      "Accountability", the role of foreigners and/or of "white" people in a
      predominantly Black culture or country, issues regarding money (donors,
      those receiving funds, what is given and any "attachments" presented with
      those donations): all of these concerns are imperative to consider and
      acknowledge in one form or another (publicly and/or privately), in part so
      that we can keep working together, and in part so that we do not damage and
      wound one another, when we in fact mean to be supportive and encouraging.

      I do not recall mentioning accountability myself in recent mails, though
      Peter Burgess and I have discussed this some years ago in the context of
      nonprofit management. There was a situation at that time which made the
      discussion so pertinent: the Kenyan govt had just delisted 300+ supposed
      "nonprofits" which had not met guidelines for their incorporation. Some were
      undoubtedly defrauding donors and the government; others were probably
      facing impossible odds in terms of their efficient operations.

      There is an important place for accountability, transparency, and financial
      responsibility. It is crucial for any org or individual wanting to establish
      themselves for a sustainable future in humanitarian work.

      There is also an important place for the kind of empowering model which
      Andrius and Minciu Sodas represent: funds donated when available, for work
      done which is meaningful and beneficial for individuals, groups,
      communities, and larger entities (countries and "the world"). A situation
      in which all benefit: the whole and each part.

      Collectively, we also need to be aware of issues arising from these types of
      discussions and activities: the implications of a focus on "accountability"
      (which could be interpreted as mistrust of the honesty and veracity of those
      receiving funds); the uncomfortable situations people are placed in
      regarding money (both those asking for same and those of whom the funds are
      asked); the racism and inequalities in the world which still make
      "black/white" issues so potent, especially in combination with subjects such
      as money (poverty et al).

      It is perhaps unfortunate--in this regard--that so much of our work is
      centered in Africa, because it might seem--when we discuss
      accountability--that we are especially concerned abt the honesty and
      veracity of Africans, which may be where Peter Ongele is coming from with
      the questions he has voiced to a fellow African, Kofi Thompson.

      Nothing is further from the truth, as these are subjects which can and
      should be of concern to all of us worldwide. It is to the benefit of all
      nonprofits and those of us who are humanitarians (working on behalf of human
      betterment) to ensure that our work is transparent and accessible.

      Accountability is a positive thing in that light, though I also need to add
      that sometimes there are different views, assumptions, and meanings assigned
      to that term, which can create differences of opinion about exactly what is
      accountable and responsible behavior. What might be a standard practice and
      important measure of accountability in one culture--such as not employing
      one's relatives (at least w/out a formal vetting process)--may not be
      possible to attain in a resource-constrained setting.

      KAIPPG Kenya--whose international branch I run in the USA--had a difference
      of opinion abt this very matter with the VSO (based in the UK) a few years
      ago. I sided with KAIPPG, because I know it to be a nonprofit of impeccable
      credentials, even if it might employ relatives of the current KAIPPG admin,
      due to severe resource constraints.

      The VSO, coming from a very different set of circumstances and cultural
      setting, thought a different employment process should be implemented.
      Both, in my view, had a valid perspective, which was very culture-dependant.
      However, because the VSO is a donor, nonprofits like KAIPPG do need to be
      careful abt maintaining enough accountability and transparency to show "the
      world" (let alone the "powers that be") that they are indeed doing what all
      nonprofits should do: be responsible to their own public and
      constituencies, which is of ultimate importance.

      It would be great for all of us to get behind the ideas Peter Burgess and
      Andrius have been discussing, while at the same time debating the specifics
      and meanings assigned to these concepts and activities.

      Graham and Peter Ongele, I am very happy you have linked up, and these
      issues are important in the context of the DIY Solar activities too.
      Graham, one of the exciting things about having you among us--and hopefully
      working with you on projects--is that these forums are not "just" about
      "talk"--however important discussion is on these vital issues--but also
      about action.

      You may discover some insights, Graham, which might be helpful in carrying
      out solar projects in a longer-term and sustainable way (this a reference to
      your question to me last year abt why there is initial enthusiasm but little
      follow-up re sustainable use of solar power). And DIY Solar has so much of
      value to give, let alone get: a huge "win-win" for people and the planet
      alike!

      Kofi, I hope you will stay among us, as I have very much enjoyed your
      insights, support and encouragement, and way of approaching issues and
      people alike. I believe and hope that the private and public interchanges on
      these subjects have taught all of us about the complexity of human beliefs,
      "cover". This helps us to realize the "individual" in us all, even as we
      acknowledge other affiliations such as color, geography, socioeconomic
      situation, and the like.

      Thanks so much and blessings to all! Janet

      ps David Mutua (hello!!) has mentioned Kibera Community Youth Programme
      (KCYP) in Kenya, which has been successfully doing a solar-panel fabrication
      project for some time, in linkage with DIY Solar. This is how Graham and I
      first linked up, as I am on the Advisory Board of KCYP. I have spoken with
      Fred Ouko, Director of KCYP, abt MS and POP, and he also knows David, so we
      have some ready-made links to bring him/them into HH and other forums here.
      It would be great to make those links soon (which I can do), the better to
      connect with a sustainable solar success story (try saying that ten times
      fast :)))!