Re: [holistichelping] Re: [fightingpeacefully] Pyramid of Peace in Eldoret and elsewhere/Andrius: visiting or talking

  • chelimo kenneth
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 14, 2008

      Dear Andrius, Janet and All,

      Thanks Andrius and Janet for your encouraging and supportive sentiments. Iam currently getting involved with the Catholic church Justice, Peace Commission (CJPC) which is going with a teamo of volunteers visiting sattelite IDP camps around Eldoret promoting peace, forgiveness and reconciliation among different tribes.

      This is to encourage resettlement of IDPs in line with the government policy of resettling post election victims who had been displaced. Iam indeed working with CJPC's representative Mr Kimisoi (+254 722 448110)  who is Bishop Korir's representative in the group. Other representatives are from NGOs like Red Cross, SNV, World Vision, IOM, Rehema and seceral CBOs. We intend to visit several satellite IDPs this week. Iam also trying to link up with the IDP chairman and planning to visit the IDP Camp show ground tomorrow. This is in an effort to involve him in MSL activities as far as peace initiatives is concerned. Thanks Andrius for giving me the idea.

      Today I also met Anne of the Maendeleo Ya wanawake (women) group which has been able to mobilize women for peace in 6 divisions in Eldoret area. They are planning to have a workshop bringing together women from different communities on peace issues and reconciliation in August. Janet has been working closely with this group and they are really doing a good job bringing together women to promote mutual co-existence in the area after the post election violence. The women are also helping those displaced to open up small business to earn an income to take care of their families, particularly provide food, clothing and school fees for their children. Several women victims of the violence have benefited from this program. The women group is working closely with local leaders to help the victims. I will also closely work with them as a POP representative in their projects and report on their development.

      However, we hope that the elusive peace we have been chasing will come into fore soon as many groups are committed to uphold the spirit of preaceful co-existence with the support of the government and civil society. More updates will come as I visit the IDPs and farms where the IDPS are resettling. Thanks

      Ken Chelimo