Graham Knight's phone battery solar panel charger

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
      Peter Ongele (peterongele AT yahoo.com) and Graham Knight (DIYSolar AT
      btinternet DOT com), I want to make sure that you have each other emails.
      Also, Peter, please join Kiyavilo Msekwa's working group Learn How To
      Learn http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learnhowtolearn/ because that is where
      Graham Knight of DIY Solar is with us http://biodesign.webeden.co.uk/
      Send a blank message to learnhowtolearn-subscribe@yahoogroups.com or let
      me know at ms@...

      Peter and I spoke by phone and then I sent him $200 so that he could have
      the money he needs for his certification course. He agreed to do a
      project for our laboratory, which is to try out the "do it yourself" solar
      mobile phone battery recharging kit which Graham has created. $100 is for
      this work and $100 is for a loan which Peter will repay after he gets his
      certificate, and our lab will relend that money to somebody who could
      apply it well.

      Peter noted that many people are weak from HIV/AIDS and they need
      alternative work to laboring in the fields. He also notes the great need
      for electricity because, for example, people in his part of rural Kenya
      typically turn off their mobile phones after 6:00 pm because they are
      saving the battery power because they have to walk a long ways to recharge
      their batteries. So that means that they are not able to make calls to
      each other in the evening because everybody's phone is turned off.

      Graham, I have posted your file at:
      http://www.worknets.org/upload/AndriusKulikauskas/yourmobilebatteryconnector.pdf
      How much does this kit cost? and how can we send it to Peter? Peter, what
      is your mailing address? (And Kiyavilo, what is your mailing address?)
      Also we have a wiki page:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Solar

      Peter, Graham, the more that you can work together - and especially
      through our groups - the more we will accomplish because I can only
      participate a little bit in this project but I can get more such projects
      going! And as you work on this publicly I think that there are many other
      projects that people can add to this.

      +1 312 618 3345

      ---------------------

      Hi Andrius,
      I hope you are doing well. I'm writing in reminding ourselves on the above
      subject. I'm aware of your approach to Graham over what is requered and
      possible advice on how best this can be successful. Meanwhile, on my side
      I've not stopped to find out the possible market for it and how best I'm
      to go about it to make it successful.
      So this is what I have gathered in this time since we agreed I take
      this business up for our lab in Western Kenya Region and I believe
      even beyond the region.
      1: I need a sample of it to practice on how to use it.
      2: I need to advertise it with in the region in simplest/cheapest way
      possible. This is to be done since this commodity is unique and rear
      one. This I can manage since I've little knowledge and I've been
      involved in the social community works. We may only need little funds
      for this.
      3: There is an NGO in the region called OSWRAM. This organisation I
      understand have brought something similar to this, a Sola Panel
      Charging Lamp which can be used to charge mobile phones in the
      village. This has not started to work but I understand, they have
      brought some samples of it. This may be a challege for us, but we are
      to compete by the pricing, durability, availability and easiness in
      handling it. I wasn't aware of it, but I'll visit that place ones I
      get back to Mbita where they based. I've been told their average price
      for it is about Ksh. 8000.
      4: For us to compete with this organisation, we need to move as first
      as possible. We need to hit the market agressively. For this reason I
      may need, to agree to take my leave days earlier may be by month of
      August to have enough time to move up and down to compete the market.
      Surely people are really positive of it and a number of people are
      willing to have it.
      Let me know in time how far you have gone. I welcome other ideas from you.
      I feel also that we need not only to venture into this. We may have to
      look other areas of good investment areas.
      I stand for this opportunity since I feel it would be very well with me
      particular to have time for my studies, a source for a commission
      earning by my collegues, particularly to those who may be not strong
      enough for heavy works. They can actually sit and do the selling of the
      commodities. I hope this would be very healthy for our lab work in
      micro financing which is in the stake of the discussion now.

      May God bless you.
      Peter Ongele.

      ---------------------

      Dear Andrius,

      You have made suggestions about helping Peter Ongele with mobiles
      and I have offered to help him But no-one has come back to me!

      (I have previously offered to help with solar powering the Includer).

      Now we have Kim wanting contact with engineers where I might be able to help.

      Any suggestions?

      Graham

      P.S. What I do want to avoid is just talking about doing something

      --------------------------

      Dear Andrius,

      In you last [learnhowtolearn] Re: Is Zimbabwe urgent for us? message you
      ask me for guidance for Peter O
      on charging mobiles.

      As this requires getting into technical details I assume it would be
      easier for me to have direct communication
      with Peter but I do not know his address.

      It will mean sending him pdfs, like the one attached, which some people
      would not appreciate,
      as well as bits and pieces for making solar chargers.

      Yours

      Graham

      ----------------

      I don't know how to thank you for what you have done to me. On behalf of
      our and my family, I would kindly request you to accept our thankful heart
      to you. Have their deep heartful greetings.All of us have dry of words to
      express their feelings to you. May Almighty God bless you. I received the
      money yesterday.
      So I'm to finish my course by August next year 2009. Actually I'll keep
      you updated on my progress particularly on this. I'm now cleared with
      the school fees any heavy levies towards the college and what now
      remains for me is to work hard to achieve my goal.
      May God bless you and your family. Let God bless them with what you
      have planted outside. Let him pay you back in abundance,uplift you in
      your work, success to the family and a pyramid of prosperty to you.
      I promise to pay you back the 100usd as we have agreed ones I'm settled.
      Peter Ongele.
    • Mark Roest
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008
        Peter, Graham, and all,

        It would be a good idea to make sure everything that is required (including whatever money is required for the wholesale purchase to take place) will be available on site before moving up your vacation, Peter, because all sorts of things can slow down the shipment.

        Also, have you considered how the two different recharging systems are made, and whether they possibly have different, complementary uses? If that is the case, then you will have a stronger position as a merchant if you carry both systems. That way, someone who wants the Sola Panel Charging Lamp can buy it from you, instead of having to go to another merchant.

        Graham, are you now offering a manufactured set of difficult-to-obtain components to be combined with locally available parts and assembled locally, a complete kit (ready for local assembly) or a system (ready to use)? When I last corresponded with you for oneVillage Foundation, you required cutting 'mother panels' into smaller pieces, and fabricating the packaging.

        What is its cost per unit at each of the volume price breaks, delivered through customs in Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana, Niger and Benin? (The volume price breaks are heavily affected by how they are shipped.)

        If you don't know the cost delivered through customs, what is the cost of each of your offerings delivered to the ports of those countries at each of the volume price breaks?

        Peter, once you have this information (including customs duties and fees, if the prices are for delivery to the port only), it is important to compare the offering with the Sola Panel Charging Lamp and see if you will be able to compete into the future if you don't offer it. I know that Andrius has a policy for Minciu Sodas that the value of relationships is more important than just getting the best price. The point is that you need to know if you can rely on the business to provide ongoing income, if you decide to let go of your current work.

        Another possibility is to join forces with OSWRAM, especially if they are effective in other areas of community and economic development. OneVillage Foundation got one grant for making open and distance learning modules by applying together with 3 other NGOs. We would all move forward more effectively if we can start some businesses that both contribute directly to community well-being and fund our other activities, preferably on a medium to large scale. Operating as a cooperative across several organizations can enable us to achieve dramatic cost savings and efficiencies.

        Graham, Peter and others in the network, are any of you able to arrange funding and support for managing micro-loans for the units? I read a success story last night, which was based on this arrangement. The payments are set at less than what people are already paying for batteries and kerosene (the equivalent of 7 to 10 US dollars a month), so when the loan is paid off the light is free, and there is no negative cash flow at any time. The business is thriving, and making a huge difference in the community's well-being.

        I have two friends who are interested in doing a solar lighting and recharging business in Kenya, and who have  many years of experience in community development there. They are Obado Ogendi Stephen Malachi, and his wife, Amy Lint; they now live in San Diego, where they are having their first child. I have copied them on this letter. They recommend that we also offer a small wind-up LED flashlight for the equivalent of 1 or 2 US dollars, so that people who are desperately poor can start to take advantage of enough light to make a difference at night.

        Regards,

        Mark Roest

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 14, 2008
          Peter Ongele, Thank you also for your reply to Mark Roest (July 7) which I
          share. Andrius
          -------------------

          Hellow Mark,
          Thank you very much for your letter which has touched several issues
          pertaining the above subject. Thank you for your advice, I'm to share
          this with Andrius. I appreciate your detailed advice on this subject,
          related to success and long term business. Graham accepted to send me
          a sample of his phone battery solar pannel charger and from there I
          hope it would be clear for me whether some parts of it can be found
          and improvised locally before arrangement of bulk supply.
          I'll reach Mbita tomorrow where I'm stationed at work and immediately
          I'll visit the OSRAM organisation office to see for myself and to up
          date Graham,Andrius and the group as whole to digest more on the advice
          you have given us. This I'm to carry it out on behalf of Minciu Sodas
          Laboratory. I would not mind alot on my time dedicated for this activity
          as long as its something which can bring change and save us from the
          hardship life of charging our phone batteries and if possible provide
          light for us at the same.
          Andrius,
          Remember some of these below questions I had shared with you sometimes
          earlier. For real business we to create awareness in the region as this
          is an unique commodity. I'm ready and prepared to serve our Lab. for
          success and believe to bring change of life within the community.
          Otherwise may God bless you all.
          Peter Ongele.
        • Samwel Kongere
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 15, 2008

            Peter,

            Thanks for your work. I left Mbita today and will see your findings, just go to the OSRAM office in mbita next to the health centre, we have a lot to think and do.
            Samwel