Re: Samwel - living comfortably & helping others

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2006

      What a great letter!

      Yes, Samwel sent you a list of addresses of people who had agreed that
      he sign them up for your group Holistic Helping
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/holistichelping/ Please do! You have
      full moderator privileges and you can add them directly at:
      that all are welcome to join, simply send a blank letter to

      This is most important for us as a way to stay in contact with the
      people that Samwel met at Africa Source II. We want to find ways to
      work together and this takes time. Your group is the most practical and
      relevant way to assemble. These are people who, much like Samwel, are
      above average in their familiarity with the Internet and their access to
      it, as evidenced by their attendance at Africa Source II.

      I find your points on literacy and other on-the-ground issues extremely
      helpful. Yes, for our lab, adult literacy is most relevant because we
      deal directly with adult learners and adult facilitators. The flash
      cards that I developed might certainly be used for adult literacy (or
      for motivated children). And I think that a commercial angle is helpful
      if it can contribute to self-sustainability, and a business for Samwel,
      even if there is backing from interested funders. Also, they could be
      family-oriented, encouraging connection across generations, especially
      where AIDS/HIV is disrupting family ties. I very much like your idea
      that healthy snacks geared towards children might be paired with
      literacy cards by which the children can help their parents to learn,
      thus making for a treat that the whole family wants to buy. There can
      be funding for such packages as well. These are just ideas.

      My thought is that if Samwel can identify good examples of people who
      are "living comfortably and helping others" then we might help him
      structure a business to meet his personal goals. Also, we can give our
      own examples of the choices that we make in our own lives. Often we
      succeed but things don't quite look the way that we might have first

      It may seem odd to focus on snacks. That may seem to be a waste of
      money. I have trouble imagining the situation in Kenya, and poverty in
      general. However, my experience is that disposal income, however
      meager, tends to find such self-rewards, such treats. An economy is
      often jumpstarted and lifted by just such a "consumer economy". Often
      it's a matter of finding wholesome ways to spend that money, as opposed
      to cigarettes or alcohol, for which people always find money. I think
      of Tong Zhu and his brother Shu-Hong, they were from the countryside but
      both studied in Beijing. Every day they would spend the little money
      they had to buy one egg each to supplement their diet. Three summers
      ago I was in Tuzla, Bosnia, and you could buy an ice cream for one
      Bosnian mark, which was about fifty cents. People young and old would
      promenade up and down the main street enjoying ice cream and simply the
      fact that they could walk outside without fear. I think that this has a
      great impact on reaffirming peace, even though the buildings were shot
      through with bullet holes. Perhaps Samwel can find a treat that would
      open up a channel for economic activity which can also serve, often with
      the help of funders, to spread helpful information, for example, about
      bird flu or nutrition or literacy.

      Janet, it's great that your hours (which you earned helping with our
      chocolate project) are available to help Samwel (and perhaps for him to
      earn directly). I note your key concept "holistic helping" and your
      investigatory questions "How can I help those individuals who are coming
      to me, while also taking care myself, and generate a ripple effect into
      a wider community?" Perhaps you might formulate a plan for
      investigating the latter? Then Samwel, I and others could work on that,
      and you might acknowledge our help by giving us the hours you earned.
      That might strengthen your ability to help us and potentially make for a
      ripple effect!

      Janet, Samwel and all - Thank you for motivating us!

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania