Learning to Read with Phonics Flash Cards

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2008
      Fred Kayiwa,

      Thank you for your help for our laboratory, especially with our workshop
      Ethical Public Domain http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org As we discussed,
      I wanted to fund you to work on a small project for me and our lab, so
      last week I sent you $100. I hope this project can also be relevant for
      your cybercafe and that it will not be burdensome.

      In 1994 I was teaching a child how to read. He was in the second grade
      yet and was rather smart but he had not learned how to read yet and was
      having trouble. His father was nice but it seemed clear that he worked
      long hours and didn't have time or know how to teach his child. So I
      invented a system so that the child could teach himself how to read. It
      worked very well and we were all pleased and they still use the cards at
      the tutoring agency. It is all in the Public Domain and I want to see
      with your help if we can get the system to work so that children in Uganda
      can teach themselves and invent games so that it is fun.

      The focus here is on learning how to read short words (single syllable) in
      English (and perhaps other languages as well). In English there is a big
      problem that the spelling system is very irregular and illogical. So I
      did two things. I break up each word (syllable) into two parts - the
      initial consonant cluster (like "fl") and the final cluster ("oat") and
      sound them together to get the word "float". The idea is that the reader
      should memorize all of the initial clusters (there are about 55 in all)
      and "sight read" them. And the reader should be familiar with the final
      clusters (there are about 500 or so). And I give a clue for each final
      cluster, I use a symbol (poker symbols!) to indicate the vowel sound. So
      cards with the same symbol have the same vowel sound. And I teach one
      vowel sound at a time until the child is expert at it.

      So Fred what you can do is download the PDF file
      and print out just two pages for now:
      * page 2 with the consonant clusters: b, bl, br, c, c, cl, cr, d, ...
      * page 6 with the vowel clusters: ill, it, in, ick, ...
      And cut them up with scissors so that they are flash cards.

      Now with the child we played a very simple game that gave good results.
      We took one consonant cluster, say "b" and the sixteen final clusters, and
      then one at a time he paired up the "b" with the vowel clusters and read
      the resulting words:
      b + ill = bill
      b + it = bit
      b + in = bin
      b + ick = bick
      b + ip = bip
      b + ish = bish
      And so on. Note that some of these are real words and some are imaginary
      words. But they can all be read. And they all have the same vowel sound
      which is short i and which we're marking with a single club. The child
      that I taught would train himself and if he could do the sixteen pairs in
      60 seconds then his father would give him a prize. So that was enough
      incentive for him to teach himself how to read. And each week we did a
      different vowel sound.

      Fred, so the first step is to see if you can understand what I mean.
      Perhaps best is if you use your own imagination and you will figure
      something out. Try it out yourself and then see if you can do it with
      children. Then my thought is that we invent games and see which games are
      popular with the children so they can teach themselves how to read.

      I used the Lithuanian vowel system (which is very regular) to assign
      symbols to the vowels (long and short) and I coded it with poker symbols.
      But that is not so important right now. Fred, please see what you can do
      and then when I am free I can call you some time on the phone. Do I have
      your phone number? And if you figure out how to do this then perhaps we
      can make a video of how this works and upload it onto YouTube. I think
      the flash cards might be great and so I hope you can help investigate how
      they might work best.

      Thank you, Fred!

      +1 312 618 3345

      Fred Kayiwa: Andrius Since You are still in USA and the time is so
      different with that of ours
      that means we cannot have time to chat together
      why don't you make some explanation in the mail
      otherwise am still having the 100$ because its for a
      special project which we need to discuss.