Sawa Sawa music Festival

  • Kennedy Owino
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2008

       Hi All,

      It has been a marvelous and Artistic weekend here in Kenya, with thousands thronging venues to witness the three day free festival, graced by international Greats as Baaba Maal, Black Uhuru, Percus Namades, Mahotella Queens and Beef.

      Kenya's hottest like Kanji Mbugua, General Onyx, Makadem, and Jua Kali drummers just to name a few.

      And as usual Sarakasi Dancers and Acrobats round the clock to wow the crowds.

      On Friday  was a day Artists found a new permanent abode shifting from the Go Down Arts Center to a new  prime location with a sweeping view of Down Town Nairobi-The Shan Cinema.

      It was a great day launching the center that houses Ghetto Radio Station, theatre hall, training space, office spaces, and a living Space for visiting Artist and Trainers.

      Shan Cinema (renamed Sarakasi Dome) has become a multi-faceted performance hall complete with a stage, perfoming spaces, dressing rooms and administrational offices.

      Sarakasi Trust slowly spreading it's roots through East Africa and beyond  is a perfoming arts and development Organization working towards building capacity in the Arts sector in Kenya.

      The Organzation's core stems from a firm belief in the use of Culture for Development and the positive roles that culture can play in the effort to eradicate poverty.

      Sarakasi has always played a goal of bringing arts and people together through culture.

      Today roads lead to Kasarani Stadium-Kenya for the hughest Black Uhuru Reggea Artists concert.

      Kenyans, join fellow Artists in celebrating this artistic gift by Sarakasi Trust.

      We say kudos to Sarakasi for their artistic role in Kenya and for the Celtel Sawa Sawa Music Festival.

      Together in Art and Heart,

      Ken Owino

      Nafsi Afrika Acrobats

      www.nafsiafrica.org