RE: [minciu_sodas_en] Samwel - living comfortably & helping others

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2006
      Dear Andrius, Sam, and All,

      Great to see this activity, and thanks so much for the names and addresses, Sam! I didn't get that you wanted me to invite them to these forums...I think Andrius and whoever else is a moderator of their particular forum should and may need (technically and otherwise) to do that. These folks will be fantastic to have in any networking around joint projects on the ground, so that's where the list will come in handy for the purposes of my own networking.

      I'm happy to ask them to join "Holistic Helping" too, though perhaps--given what may be more limited email capacity--one forum is enough for the moment (let us know what you think, Sam, as you know them a bit now, and better than we do!).

      Andrius has asked some excellent questions which I hope you've be able to provide some answers to, and I can supplement as well--as can Henry and others on the ground there--to create a rounded picture of some of the issues surrounding literacy, income-generation and business opportunities, food security, and the like.

      One thing I will say quite strongly, which I have mentioned before, is that it is "adults" in particular who actually need to become literate, moreso than the youth as a whole. Many youth are in school, unless they are not due to lack of funds, or having to care for families affected by HIV/AIDS, so the out-of-school youth (usually adolescents) is another population to help in regard to literacy.

      Almost 90% of the women KAIPPG works with have zero literacy, so we are at once trying to help them become literate, while also providing other kinds of skills-building--with a focus on verbal and pictorial means of conveying information--which will help them to work towards personal and community development.

      This is why I think a literacy project should be decoupled from a commercial project like snacks, or seen and designed in two parts, one part for adults who need literacy but do not have the funds to spend on snacks to acquire such knowledge, and the other being targeted to youth, who might already be getting some education but could use some specialized knowledge, let's say, about HIV/AIDS, ICTs, or some other subjects. Parents who wouldn't buy snacks for themselves might give a few coins to a child to do so...and perhaps the flash cards or whatever is created can be informational both to the child AND to the adults, with the child helping the adult to learn!

      On the subject of nutrition, agriculture, and food security, I have during the past few months been working on a conference on just these themes. Our discussion here is timely, too, as reports of famine as well as chronic malnutrition in Kenya are now becoming more prominent in the Kenyan press (they have been challenges all along, but are now more visible).

      What we hope to gain from the conference, which will happen in Lusaka in May (attention Moses!), is a much better picture of what is working on the ground, what needs to be and can be done rapidly, and how to better integrate research, policy-making, and projects to address these issues. One thing which has exacerbated an already precarious food situation is HIV/AIDS, so that is at the core of what we will be examining (ie the interconnections between HIV/AIDS, nut/agric, and food security).

      Steve and I had a terrific conversation a couple weeks ago in which we touched on these themes, and we hope to do some integrative work here in these forums to address these subjects.  Holistic helping--the concept--is akin to "living comfortably and helping others", though "comfort" of course is a relative term and defined in many different ways.

      If what is meant is having enough food to eat, having enough income to afford life's basics--and perhaps a few amenities--and being able to move beyond subsistence (focused on daily individual survival) to a place where one can help others as well as oneself, that is "holistic helping" (ie joint focus on both the individual and the community). And THAT helps to ensure social justice and thoughtful sharing.

      Personal sacrifice in order to help others is noble; it is also courageous, healthy, and important to find ways to help oneself at the same time (and to address the inevitable tensions and sometimes conflicts between the two), and often creates greater long-term (sustainable) motivation and less burnout.

      I look forward to working with all of you to address our key concepts, and to help one another as well as ourselves (which getting "back to the root" is all about), and Andrius, I have quite a few hours spent on the chocolate project myself (25), which I am willing to donate to Samwel, Henry, or whoever else needs them.

      With all best wishes and greatest thanks, Janet

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2006
        Janet,

        What a great letter!

        Yes, Samwel sent you a list of addresses of people who had agreed that
        he sign them up for your group Holistic Helping
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/holistichelping/ Please do! You have
        full moderator privileges and you can add them directly at:
        that all are welcome to join, simply send a blank letter to
        holistichelping-subscribe@yahoogroups.com)

        This is most important for us as a way to stay in contact with the
        people that Samwel met at Africa Source II. We want to find ways to
        work together and this takes time. Your group is the most practical and
        relevant way to assemble. These are people who, much like Samwel, are
        above average in their familiarity with the Internet and their access to
        it, as evidenced by their attendance at Africa Source II.

        I find your points on literacy and other on-the-ground issues extremely
        helpful. Yes, for our lab, adult literacy is most relevant because we
        deal directly with adult learners and adult facilitators. The flash
        cards that I developed might certainly be used for adult literacy (or
        for motivated children). And I think that a commercial angle is helpful
        if it can contribute to self-sustainability, and a business for Samwel,
        even if there is backing from interested funders. Also, they could be
        family-oriented, encouraging connection across generations, especially
        where AIDS/HIV is disrupting family ties. I very much like your idea
        that healthy snacks geared towards children might be paired with
        literacy cards by which the children can help their parents to learn,
        thus making for a treat that the whole family wants to buy. There can
        be funding for such packages as well. These are just ideas.

        My thought is that if Samwel can identify good examples of people who
        are "living comfortably and helping others" then we might help him
        structure a business to meet his personal goals. Also, we can give our
        own examples of the choices that we make in our own lives. Often we
        succeed but things don't quite look the way that we might have first
        imagined.

        It may seem odd to focus on snacks. That may seem to be a waste of
        money. I have trouble imagining the situation in Kenya, and poverty in
        general. However, my experience is that disposal income, however
        meager, tends to find such self-rewards, such treats. An economy is
        often jumpstarted and lifted by just such a "consumer economy". Often
        it's a matter of finding wholesome ways to spend that money, as opposed
        to cigarettes or alcohol, for which people always find money. I think
        of Tong Zhu and his brother Shu-Hong, they were from the countryside but
        both studied in Beijing. Every day they would spend the little money
        they had to buy one egg each to supplement their diet. Three summers
        ago I was in Tuzla, Bosnia, and you could buy an ice cream for one
        Bosnian mark, which was about fifty cents. People young and old would
        promenade up and down the main street enjoying ice cream and simply the
        fact that they could walk outside without fear. I think that this has a
        great impact on reaffirming peace, even though the buildings were shot
        through with bullet holes. Perhaps Samwel can find a treat that would
        open up a channel for economic activity which can also serve, often with
        the help of funders, to spread helpful information, for example, about
        bird flu or nutrition or literacy.

        Janet, it's great that your hours (which you earned helping with our
        chocolate project) are available to help Samwel (and perhaps for him to
        earn directly). I note your key concept "holistic helping" and your
        investigatory questions "How can I help those individuals who are coming
        to me, while also taking care myself, and generate a ripple effect into
        a wider community?" Perhaps you might formulate a plan for
        investigating the latter? Then Samwel, I and others could work on that,
        and you might acknowledge our help by giving us the hours you earned.
        That might strengthen your ability to help us and potentially make for a
        ripple effect!

        Janet, Samwel and all - Thank you for motivating us!

        +370 (699) 30003
        Vilnius, Lithuania