Pyramid of Peace in Zimbabwe?

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2008
      Chief K. Masimba Biriwisha and I chatted about organizing the Pyramid of
      Peace to "love our enemy" in Zimbabwe where people have been suffering for
      decades (including an inflation rate of 1,000,000 percent) and the
      government is reportedly intimidating people before the runoff election
      between current President Robert Mugage and opposition leader Morgan
      Tsvangirai.

      My thought is that I appoint either Dennis Kimambo, Kennedy Owino or
      Rachel Wambui Kungu as a Commander for Zimbabwe so that we have a leader
      who is not emotionally attached. I also want a Commander for our work in
      Chicago and Dennis has agreed. As we think about next steps we can
      consider funding and also schedule an online chat and set up wiki pages.

      I also note the idea (I forgot who helped me think this through, perhaps
      Dervala) for "love bonds" in denominations of $100 or $1,000 which we
      would sell, in Chicago, for example, to local, struggling Black American
      businesses so that we could work to help them get more business, and also
      to fund our peace work, and as a backing for a community currency to
      encourage neighborhood work, and ultimately the idea is that as our
      movement succeeds and is acknowledged we would get support from the
      majority of citizens so that they vote to have our love bonds redeemed by
      the state at a profit, and similarly, we would get larger businesses to
      redeem them, or simply, they would function as a currency of choice. A
      similar idea might work in Zimbabwe and elsewhere, so I write to John
      Roger's working group Cyfranogi for advice.

      I share below our chat.

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms.lt, ms@..., +1 312 618 3345, in San Francisco

      [20:59:30] Andrius Kulikauskas: Masimba, thank you for your letter!
      [20:59:45] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: which letter
      [20:59:53] … are you online
      [20:59:55] Andrius Kulikauskas: In Las Vegas at the awards ceremony I met
      Bev Clark, she is from Zimbabwe
      [21:00:08] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: yes, i know Bev Clark
      [21:00:08] Andrius Kulikauskas: and she won the largest prize for the
      Knight News Challenge
      [21:00:14] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: she is a big activist in Zimbabwe
      [21:00:21] Andrius Kulikauskas: http://www.newschallenge.org/winners/2008
      [21:00:21] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: O my God
      [21:00:28] … good for her
      [21:00:34] … Thats great news
      [21:00:35] Andrius Kulikauskas: She won $876,000
      [21:00:46] … http://www.newschallenge.org/freedom_fone
      [21:00:56] … Freedom Fone will provide a voice database where users can
      access news and public-interest information via land, mobile or Internet
      phones. In a concept similar to a telephone tree employed by many private
      companies, users will call in and then dial specific numbers to find the
      information they need. Independent radio station content will be
      broadcast, along with frequently updated audio reports created
      specifically for Freedom Fone. Users will be able to pose questions and
      leave answers on a voicemail system. The concept, which employs both new
      and old technologies, will allow the poor to receive and contribute
      information in a practical and economical way. It will be tested in
      Zimbabwe.
      [21:01:11] … I spoke to her about our work in Kenya with the Pyramid of
      Peace and she seemed very interested.
      [21:01:28] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: Thats really good
      [21:01:28] Andrius Kulikauskas: We were supposed to talk about it during
      lunch but she never showed up unfortunately.
      [21:01:36] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: Thanks for sharing this information
      [21:02:17] Andrius Kulikauskas: I told her that I know you and it seems
      that she holds you in high regard.
      [21:02:57] … I told her that there was much that our lab could do for free
      regarding Zimbabwe, but especially if she might find some donors we could
      do quite a lot.
      [21:03:02] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: we first met at an open source
      conference in Uganda
      [21:03:28] Andrius Kulikauskas: I am glad that you know how our lab is
      able to work.
      [21:03:41] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: I am happy we are talking. I am in
      touch with Open Society Institute for a project in Zimbawe
      [21:03:43] Andrius Kulikauskas: And I wanted to let you know that we could
      apply ourselves regarding Zimbabwe but especially with your leadership.
      [21:04:02] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: I am ready to go forward
      [21:04:20] Andrius Kulikauskas: What steps do you envisage?
      [21:04:21] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: To be honest with you, I am really
      stifled with what I currently doing
      [21:04:36] … My wife is actively engaged in activism in the moment
      [21:04:49] Andrius Kulikauskas: Are you together in Thailand?
      [21:04:58] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: First, my work will target youth and
      children
      [21:05:03] … No, we are not together
      [21:05:55] … And my project here is not at all effective - but I have
      managed to complete two books which I think are useful
      [21:06:13] Andrius Kulikauskas: You are in Thailand, yes? Can you go back
      to Zimbabwe?
      [21:06:14] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: Anyway, I am looking at peaceful
      means of engagement
      [21:06:21] … Yes ---
      [21:06:30] … I can go back, I am not in exile at all
      [21:06:51] Andrius Kulikauskas: Oh that is good to know, I thought you were.
      [21:07:02] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: Anyway, I am looking at peaceful
      means of engagement, and utilizing enline media
      [21:07:59] … Books for children and sanitary wear for young girls will be
      the points of action, and an online forum for young people, connected and
      linked to what Bev is doing
      [21:08:08] Andrius Kulikauskas: Do you like what we did with Pyramid of
      Peace?
      [21:08:18] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: and to the Pyramid of Peace project
      [21:08:29] … Its a very powerful concept
      [21:08:37] Andrius Kulikauskas: I am glad you think so.
      [21:08:56] … Do you know is there any possibility of funds for our lab so
      that we could work on that?
      [21:08:58] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: And my wife is already working with
      young people, and it will be not difficult to translate the concept
      [21:09:18] … Have you heard about the OSI Fellowship Project
      [21:10:39] Andrius Kulikauskas:
      http://www.soros.org/initiatives/fellowship/news/launch_20080325
      [21:10:51] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: Yes
      [21:11:21] … althought it requires one to apply as an individual - it is
      certainly a source of funds
      [21:12:42] … so have you heard of it
      [21:12:55] Andrius Kulikauskas: just from you. I see there is no deadline.
      [21:13:02] … Yes this could be good.
      [21:13:08] … So you won this? Congratulations!
      [21:13:26] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: yes. but
      [21:13:33] … NO. Not yet
      [21:13:39] Andrius Kulikauskas: ok
      [21:13:47] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: It was first interview
      [21:13:54] Andrius Kulikauskas: I think it is very competitive. That is a
      good sign.
      [21:14:03] … What businesses do you think might be interested in Zimbabwe?
      [21:14:34] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: I dont understand the last question
      [21:14:47] Andrius Kulikauskas: What businesses might have a strategic
      interest to fund work?
      [21:14:54] … on the Pyramid of Peace?
      [21:15:12] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: Well - I cant tell from this end really
      [21:15:16] Andrius Kulikauskas: One idea I have for funding is to sell
      "love bonds"
      [21:15:29] … for example to fight genocide against Black Americans in Chicago
      [21:15:45] … by selling the bonds in $100 and $1,000 denominations
      [21:15:49] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: Thats ound innovative
      [21:16:01] Andrius Kulikauskas: and then getting enough citizens involved
      [21:16:08] … so that when we have the majority on our side
      [21:16:20] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: I like the sound of this ---
      [21:16:21] Andrius Kulikauskas: they will vote to have the government
      redeem the bonds
      [21:16:34] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: cool
      [21:16:46] Andrius Kulikauskas: So it is a way for people to invest in a
      revolution.
      [21:17:40] … The more we accomplish, the more we can reach out, the more
      people and businesses will invest in the bonds
      [21:17:47] … and we can start with the smallest, most local businesses
      [21:18:04] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: I like this concept
      [21:18:05] Andrius Kulikauskas: because we use the money to help them.
      [21:18:31] … Yes I want to ask our Cyfranogi working group (on community
      currency) to help with this idea.
      [21:18:42] … So what next steps should I take regarding Zimbabwe?
      [21:18:50] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: But i will tell you what, the way in
      Zimbabwe is to first design a high impact campaign
      [21:19:03] Andrius Kulikauskas: yes?
      [21:19:20] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: That will gain visibility, and the
      the bond concept will unroll
      [21:19:41] Andrius Kulikauskas: Also, the bonds can be used to back a
      community currency
      [21:19:51] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: I have always thought that books for
      children is the most safest and peaceful entry point
      [21:19:52] Andrius Kulikauskas: in smaller denominations ($1, $5, $10 etc.)
      [21:20:05] … yes the children's books is a good idea for Chicago too
      [21:20:25] … perhaps the idea of the bonds as a stable currency can have
      big impact in Zimbabwe
      [21:20:25] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: Do you have access to books, english
      books for children and or stationer - pencils, rubbers, rulers
      [21:20:40] Andrius Kulikauskas: no I don't but others in our lab might
      [21:21:25] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: What I mean is the idea of bonds has
      to be implemented in a way that doesnt create mistrust in a corrupt and
      mistrustful context like Zimbabwe
      [21:21:36] Andrius Kulikauskas: Yes I agree.
      [21:21:39] … Masimba, may I share our chat
      [21:21:40] … ?
      [21:21:49] … at Fighting Peacefully?
      [21:21:55] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: so in a way you need to first get
      close to the people
      [21:21:58] … No problem
      [21:22:33] … And by the way congratulations
      [21:22:41] Andrius Kulikauskas: and would you be interested to have a
      command structure for the Pyramid of Peace for Zimbabwe?
      [21:22:47] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: Yes,
      [21:22:54] Andrius Kulikauskas: for example, one of our Kenyan commanders
      could be responsible
      [21:23:05] … and you could advise
      [21:23:18] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: an if I do get the OSI fellowship
      can you help to build the online platform using open source
      [21:23:21] Andrius Kulikauskas: but there is advantage in not having a
      Zimbabwean lead
      [21:23:26] … yes that would be great
      [21:23:48] … will you have a budget of some sort? that would be a great
      help and I would love for us to do the work
      [21:24:17] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: the Zimbabwean struggle is
      intimitaley historical, and needs a commander that can tear through the
      morass
      [21:24:36] … I have a budget of at least USD7,000 - still waiting for
      approval
      [21:24:36] Andrius Kulikauskas: yes we need to learn
      [21:25:05] … we could do a lot for such a budget or as much as is available
      [21:25:26] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: i will keep you posted on progress
      but they seemed very interested
      [21:25:37] … and I need to convince them
      [21:26:08] Andrius Kulikauskas: My suggestion is that Dennis, Rachel or
      Kennedy serve as Commander for the Pyramid of Peace in Zimbabwe
      [21:26:18] … because they have experience and because they are not
      emotionally involved
      [21:26:38] … and your advice would be key
      [21:26:46] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: I can always be in the loop - I am
      definetely emotionally involved
      [21:26:52] Andrius Kulikauskas: yes
      [21:27:08] … let's see who would be interested
      [21:27:09] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: but at the same time, i am seeking
      creative solutions
      [21:27:28] Andrius Kulikauskas: also I think that it would be very good at
      the same time to deal with the genocide in Chicago
      [21:27:44] … and perhaps you can help lead our efforts there, the
      children's books would be great
      [21:27:57] … I imagine that if we address genocide in Chicago then that
      will disarm Robert Mugabe
      [21:28:01] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: education is always the key -
      there's no solution outside that
      [21:28:09] Andrius Kulikauskas: because it will show that we are not
      taking the US side
      [21:28:29] … and we can ask the Zimbabwe government to help stop genocide
      in the US
      [21:28:54] … and to help have fair elections in Chicago
      [21:29:10] … where there are major problems with unfair elections and the
      Chicago party machine
      [21:29:35] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: Mugabe has no ideological basis
      except invoking the past, and using suffering and pain as the basis for
      his stranglehold to power
      [21:30:06] … But if there's an expression of solidarity from that front,
      and a global movement based on peaceful action, it is easy to disarm him
      [21:30:11] Andrius Kulikauskas: yes so we will consider how to love him so
      that he can let go
      [21:30:23] … we can invite him to come to Chicago and help there
      [21:30:45] … just a crazy idea
      [21:30:51] … but I am starting to think
      [21:30:52] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: and also to have the citizens engage
      in Gandhi style movement, homegrown but with global conncections, proving
      that in the hardest of conditions, freedom prevails, we can have a winner
      [21:31:23] … I magine sending letters of love to Mugabe from every corner
      of the world
      [21:31:35] … just a crazy idea
      [21:31:49] Andrius Kulikauskas: Please consider, who is the enemy in
      Zimbabwe? and then how do we love them?
      [21:31:59] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: but there's need, not just in
      Zimbabwe but in South Africa, and throughout the continet
      [21:32:04] Andrius Kulikauskas: what will we see if we look from there
      point of view?
      [21:32:32] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: I hear you, its where the solution lies
      [21:32:47] Andrius Kulikauskas: I am glad that you have seen us work and
      have supported us!
      [21:33:34] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: i would like to be more involved
      [21:33:57] Andrius Kulikauskas: My financial situation is very tough so I
      appreciate your ideas. And I will share our chat and I look forward to
      [21:34:25] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: To be honest, I feell like I am
      wasting my mind being involved in NGO work - its institutionalized robbery
      of the poor
      [21:34:36] … NGOs are Lords of Poverty
      [21:35:02] Andrius Kulikauskas: Well, we're trying to figure out an
      alternative
      [21:35:09] … and I'm encouraged that we're making some progress
      [21:35:34] … and also that's why the economic question is important - who
      could benefit from what we can do in Zimbabwe? let's keep thinking and
      solve that!
      [21:35:52] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: I hear you
      [21:36:12] Andrius Kulikauskas: Good night!
      [21:36:33] Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: Thanks you
    • Kennedy.O. Owino
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23, 2008
        A slowly dying and decaying world,

        My heart aches when i see people propagating hate other than love and
        engaging in senseless acrimonious killings and persecutions.
        In Kenya the IDPs returning to their homes are receiving threats, over
        twenty people were killed in Nyanza-Kenya (Kisii area) by receiving
        mob justice on suspicion of being witch cratfts.
        In South Africa xenophobia is reigning right in the eyes of the world.

        I support the idea of applying ourselves in finding creative solutions
        that would help Peace flourish in this Globe.
        While every country has it shares of problems and diverse differerent
        reasons of instability, a movement with collective ideas and common
        vision is necessary particularly in Africa.
        Committed Peace lovers and ambassadors united and working together
        within a Pyramid whose points touch the horn of Africa-Egypt- and has
        it's corners down in South Africa.
        A Pyramid of Peace with firm points and base that embodies love, trust
        and tranquility.
        Am interested in joining the mainstream of providing, exploring and
        sharing ideas with individuals who are keen at promoting individual,
        National, Regional and Global Peace.
        I admire Chief K. Masimba Biriwisha ideas.

        Peace be with You.

        Ken Owino
        Nafsi Africa Acrobats
        www.nafsiafrica.org