PUBLIC PROTESTS and DIRECT ACTIONS: Workshop FRIDAY in Nairobi (free of charge)!

    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2008
      This workshop is FREE and open to all. Please forward information to your
      networks.

      PUBLIC PROTESTS / DIRECT ACTIONS - WHO, WHAT, WHY, HOW, WHEN
      Led by experienced civil society activists from Youth Agenda, Bunge La Mwananchi, and NCEC

      Why hold a public protest?
      How do you formulate goals?
      How do you evaluate the outcomes?
      Information on permits, interacting with police, dealing with violence,
      legal interventions, your rights in case of arrest.
      Addressing fears about public protests - what if I get arrested? Can I lose
      my job? What are the effects of teargas? etc.
      How do I prepare for a public protest - clothing, physical / practical /
      mental / psychological / spiritual preparation.
      What are my responsibilities towards other participants?
      How do I talk to family, friends, community about public protests?

      Date: Friday May 23rd

      Time: 2 - 5pm
      Please be punctual - the workshop will start and finish on time.
      Tea will be served.

       Venue:
      Open Society Institute for East Africa
      ACS Plaza, 3rd Floor
      Lenana Road (first office complex to your Right, after you turn into Lenana
      Road from Galana Road)

      NOTE: I'm still seeking a city centre venue. In the meantime, OSIEA and KHRC
      have generously offered to host the workshops. I was told that some people
      had trouble finding ACS Plaza for the last workshop, so please see detailed
      directions below if coming by public transport.

      By Public Transport:
      Bus # 46, or any matatu for Argwings Kodhek Road. Lenana Road runs parallel
      to Argwings Kodhek Road, on the West side.

      If Yaya Centre is on your RIGHT (you're coming from Gitanga Road), get off
      at Galana Road, which comes up BEFORE you get to the petrol stations and
      shops. Turn LEFT on Galana Road and walk to Lenana Road. From Galana Road,
      turn RIGHT into Lenana Road, and ACS Plaza is the first office complex on
      your RIGHT. Allow 10 minutes to walk to ACS Plaza after alighting.

      If Yaya Centre is on your LEFT (you're coming from Hurlingham), get off at
      Galana Road AFTER passing Yaya Centre, Wood Avenue, Petrol stations. Turn
      RIGHT into Galana Road and walk to Lenana Road. From Galana Road, turn RIGHT
      into Lenana Road, and ACS Plaza is the first office complex on your RIGHT.
      Allow 10 minutes to walk to ACS Plaza after alighting.

      To Register:

      Please email or sms, BY 12 NOON, THURSDAY MAY 22ND:

      Name
      Affiliation (if any)
      Email
      Cell number
      to shailjapatel@...   0734 669 020

      What to bring:
      Notebook and pen.
      Questions / challenges from your own experience to share.

      KPTJ DIRECT ACTION TRAINING WORKSHOPS: BACKGROUND INFO

      Things to note:

      1) COORDINATION AND COMMUNICATION: Please send all questions, input,
      comments, registration info, etc. directly to me, Shailja Patel,
      shailjapatel@... . Please do NOT hit REPLY to this email, as your
      response will be posted to the entire listserve and generate the kind of
      listserve clutter we have, so far, successfully avoided, for the benefit of
      all our members.

      1) WORKSHOP FACILITATION: Workshops will be facilitated by Shailja Patel. I
      am not an expert on any of the topics outlined. We have many people within
      KPTJ who ARE experts on these areas. My role as workshop facilitator is to
      find out who these people are, for each topic, get them to lead the
      workshop, or train me to lead it, gather the resources and info available,
      and make the workshop happen for the greatest benefit of all participants.

      2) WORKSHOP STRUCTURE AND CONTENT: The workshops will be as interactive and
      hands-on as possible, drawing on the collective skills and experience of all
      participants. if you or your organization have run training similar to any
      of the ones listed below, or have experience, skills, materials to
      contribute, they will be warmly welcomed - please get in touch with me at
      shailjapatel@...

      2) CALL FOR VOLUNTEER FACILITATORS: I will facilitate the workshops on the
      dates noted. The ones marked OPEN FOR VOLUNTEER FACILITATOR are dates when
      I'm out of town / otherwise committed. Anyone is welcome to step in
      and facilitate those workshops - I will be happy to plan and prep them with
      you in advance. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE AN EXPERT - see point 1) above.

      3) WORKSHOP TOPICS: The topics listed below are based on input received
      from KPTJ members of the key needs / info gaps in the movement at present.
      If there's a vital topic or skills gap you don't see listed, please let me
      know! And if you feel a burning need to have a workshop on a certain topic,
      consider volunteering to facilitate it (See point 2) above).

      4) WORKSHOP PARTICIPATION: Please register for each workshop in advance by
      emailing:
      Name
      Affiliation (if any)
      Email
      Cell number
      to shailja@....

      Ideally, we would like all participants to attend the whole series, but we
      know this may not be possible. However, please try to make as many of the
      workshops as possible, since they are all connected, and each one will draw
      on, and reinforce, material from previous ones.

      5) GOAL OF DIRECT ACTION TRAINING:
      - To create a group of skilled and informed KPTJ activists who are able to
      strategize, plan and implement direct actions in response to KPTJ issues
      - To offer the tools and framework of thinking that will
      empower participants to organize, strategize and mobilize, as individuals,
      and collectively, around local and national issues as they arise. To change
      the mindset from "KPTJ should do something" and "I wasn't told what / where
      / how to participate" to "I want to do something. How can I go about it?"
      - To generate and make available a set of training materials / resources /
      guidelines, drawn from the workshops, that all KPTJ members can use,
      distribute and build on.

      TOPICS

      Workshop 1
      HOW TO MOUNT AND WIN A SINGLE-ISSUE PUBLIC PRESSURE CAMPAIGN.
      Led by Zarina Patel, based on her experience of saving Jevanjee Gardens from
      the greed of politicians and developers.

      Workshop 2
      HARNESSING THE POWER OF MEDIA
      Led by Tom Maliti, East Africa correspondent for the Associated Press

      Workshop 3
      PUBLIC PROTESTS / DIRECT ACTIONS - WHO, WHAT, WHY, HOW, WHEN
      Will include information on permits, interacting with police, dealing with
      violence, legal interventions, your rights in case of arrest, etc.

       Workshop 4
      BUILDING SOCIAL MOVEMENTS

      Workshop 5
      ALTERNATIVES TO PUBLIC PROTESTS
      Using creative strategies and communication tools for political action - sms
      / email campaigns, arts activism, behind-the-headlines lobbying

    • tom ochuka
      Message 2 of 2 , May 22, 2008
        Dear Janet,
        This seems to be agood workshop..the youthswho
        protested following the flawedresults are still in
        jail..they for sure wanted their rights..which
        wasrobbed..
        Protesting has just dirrectives..they need
        organisation and limits so that propertiesare not
        destroyed...such casesare in south africa.
        Ileft Nairobi last weekend if at all would be their I
        would attend.
        Istheir any way of getting the notes or handouts
        please?.
        TOMOCHUKA.

        === message truncated ===