Fw: [voiceful] Greetings from News Tools 2008

    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2008
      From: <ms@...>
      To: <voiceful@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: <globalvillages@yahoogroups.com>; <learnhowtolearn@yahoogroups.com>;
      <socialagriculture@yahoogroups.com>; <fightingpeacefully@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 1:15 AM
      Subject: [voiceful] Greetings from News Tools 2008

      > Hello, I write a short update from the News Tools 2008 conference
      > http://www.newstools2008.org about the future of journalism where I am
      > looking for independent thinkers as well as prospects for our Minciu Sodas
      > laboratory's http://www.ms.lt global teams and for our Includer
      > http://www.includer.org device for people with marginal Internet access
      > who might read and write emails offline yet still participate in our
      > online community.
      >
      > Today we had introductions and it was quite overwhelming. There are some
      > 200 people or so it seems. There is a lot of interest in the team that we
      > organized http://www.pyramidofpeace.net to help Kenyans avert genocide
      > this year. There are many projects where our teams might be relevant.
      > Here are some people who I met along with their websites:
      >
      > Josh Wolf http://www.joshwolf.net the Rise Up! Network
      > Michael Stoll http://www.public-press.org The Public Press
      > Sarah Hasan and Noon Salih http://www.ilmworks.org and
      > http://www.oneblue.tv
      > Melissa Cornick-Horyn, see her documentary film pitch: "Democracy
      > Deadlocked? Bucks County, PA"
      > http://lab.wgbh.org/open-call/election2008/sample-reels/democracy-deadlocked
      > and others, I invite new participants at our lab's groups to introduce
      > ourselves anytime or simply write about what we care about.
      >
      > Pamela McLean, thank you for organizing the chat for May 1 at
      > http://www.worknets.org/chat/ at 12:00 or 13:00 or so London time. I will
      > not be able to join you this time but greetings to all. Also, the
      > conference here is so busy and hectic that we won't have any way to work
      > with our online team these next few days. But I have some thoughts for
      > next week and they include engaging manufacturer of digital picture frames
      > because they are so similar to our Includer and perhaps the existing
      > hardware might be used if we simply new the backdoors by which they
      > install and run the software, which very well might be Linux. I am
      > thinking that it would be a good project for our teams to research these
      > companies and start to engage them to see which might be interested to
      > work with us. Sasha Mrkailo and Kiyavilo Msekwa, please could you start
      > some research on this?
      >
      > I also bought at Frye's Electronics a Sony e-book reader (which runs on
      > batteries and can read various file types) for $299 and a Coby 8" digital
      > picture frame for $169 for a total of about $558 from the money that
      > Ricardo gave me earlier for part. I will be working on using these with
      > our lab's content to see how that can work and to have that available for
      > demonstrations of the concept.
      >
      > Andrius
      >
      > Andrius Kulikauskas
      > Minciu Sodas
      > http://www.ms.lt
      > ms@...

    • Rachel Kungu
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8, 2008
        Dear all,

        we are doing fine with renewed energy of the particiapnts everyday, but we are running out of food since we only secured sponsorship for only 7participants, 4 from Peacenet Kenya and 3 from Coaiation of Peace in Africa (COPA). we have the transport means that is the truck which is fully funded but we need fuel for the support vehicle at the moment and also funds to pay for hiring the support vehicle. since the truck has a capacity of 28 persons that is why VYP decided to carry 21 participants not sponsored and agreed we shall go on fundraising and we use the little money from the already payed up funds. it is with this concern that am writing to request for support however little it can be to enable us have food for the remaining part of the journey. The participants fee is supposed to take care of meals, hiring of support vehicle , first aid kits and any other expenses incurred during the caravan. any kind of donation is welcome and Thanks Jabet for the airtime you sent to me, it was timely.

        We just witnessed the repatriating IDPs at an open field without roof over their heads, and it was really toching, feeling of hopelessness when i couldnt offer any support to them. however, we were comming from an event in Kuresoi and managed to call the area DO who came to the scene and gave them hope, that tents are in Nairobi waiting to be dispatched, we are yet to see the action, He also gave them a choice of where they would like to stay overnight and they suggested next to a police post of which they will sleep outside in the cold but in a way felt they will be secure there.

        I hope you all saw the report we sent yesterday, more briefs to follow.

        Regards

        Rachel
        Director,
        Voluntary Youth Philathropists
        P.O.Box 19705-0202
        Office             +254 20 2367689
        cell phone +254 721 626389/            +254 722678962
        Nairobi Kenya
        www.peace-caravan.org

        Message 3 of 3 , May 8, 2008
          Dear All,

          Immense thanks for your messages, and my big apologies for being so much offline lately.  There are messages from Rachel, Dennis, Ken, Charles, Ron, and Muchiri (Purple Images, ActALIVE) to respond to, and I hope to catch up with all soon.

          For now I want to say a special "asante sana" to Rachel and Dennis for keeping us informed about the Peace Caravan (www.peace-caravan.org), albeit with the "challenging" yet very touching news about what they are seeing and experiencing.

          Rachel, I will be in touch directly later today (Friday), and hope that myself and others can be helpful to the invaluable work that you and others are doing.

          With love and greatest blessings always, Janet