Re: [Kenya-aids] REQUEST FOR SUPPORT FOR ART FOR PEACE PROJECT IN KENYA/NRI /Rachel-Dennis-Ken-George-all

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28 8:11 PM
      Dear Muchiri and All,

      Hello and how exciting to see this posting! I believe you had also posted to Kenya-aids a few months ago about a youth and ICTs conference in Kenya:  has that taken place, or was it delayed by the post-election crisis?

      There are many peace-related arts activities now going on in Kenya, from visual arts to film/video to theater. The upcoming Peace Caravan in May (www.peace-caravan.org) will include arts as part of its peace program. Hopefully you can join up with the Caravan at some point (either in May or September), and I will cc organizer Rachel Kung'u of the Voluntary Youth Philanthropists (Caravan organizer) nonprofit to that end.

      I am posting this proposal to the ActALIVE (www.actalive.org) forum, as there are Kenyans (including Rachel) in this setting who are using arts to address HIV/AIDS and development issues, and they might respond with suggestions or help of some kind, including personal participation.

      I will also post to a forum I moderate called Holistic Helping, linked to the Minciu Sodas Laboratory for Independent Thinkers (www.ms.lt), where a number of Kenyans and international friends gathered during the past few months to work on an initiative called the "Pyramid of Peace", the name taken from an acrobatic act promoting peace created by the Nafsi Afrika Acrobats (http://www.nafsiafrica.org), located in Kibera.

      There will surely be some members interested in this proposal, including Rachel Kung'u, Ken Owino of Nafsi Afrika Acrobats, Dennis Kimambo of REPACTED (www.repacted.org) --an exciting theater-for-development nonprofit which has been doing theater work to promote peace--and George Onyango of SIDAREC (www.sidarec.org), a youth development nonprofit in Nairobi whose radio station, Ghetto FM, has been promoting peace via community participation. All of them are ActALIVE members too.

      There has been just this past weekend a children's peace forum in Kisumu, organized by Odyssey Arts Pioneers, Deaf Impact Ministry, and other nonprofits, which has used arts in its programming. Wilson Ouma of Odyssey recently posted here about this event, and he and others who participated in that might be interested in what you propose.

      One place where you might seek funding is the National Response Initiative (NRI). I'm not sure if they are still taking proposals for their initial phase (meant to be March-July), but I believe they hope to do a follow-on project which would support initiatives with longer-term goals related to peace, with a late-summer application period. They have already funded some arts-related initiatives, so they are "attuned" to an arts-based approach.

      I believe that I sent you a sample proposal and instructions for that already, but I will be happy to do so again. You might get feedback for your ideas and plans from Rachel Kung'u, who is part of the NRI effort. She might have other suggestions for places to seek support, and I will certainly keep my eyes open and network your proposal more widely.

      Will close for now on that note, and hope to hear from you and work with you on this and other exciting Purple Images projects.  With all best wishes and artistic admirations, Janet  (Feldman, kaippg@...)