help with internet in ahero..To the deaf and community arround

  • tom ochuka
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2008
      Dear Ricardo and all,
      This days of technoilogy is areal blessing to all
      even..this disabled..the internet is abroad way to
      link and connect worldwide.
      Ahero is aremote area before kisumu..joinning nyakach
      and ombeyi..kericho will be futher inside..this place
      is known for rice and sugarcane,
      This palce has aconserable no of youth with diverse
      background and knowledge.
      For many years ...this place had only box no..as
      ameans to comunacation,postoffice telephone and
      cellphone.
      With agriculture nad livestock production and sugare
      cane..they need to interact with the reast of the
      world.
      This will help develope this area..to form avillage
      conectin with avillageb maybe ahero and
      pakistan..all..growing rice.
      We are interested in an INTERNET KIOSK...How can we
      have such centre with computers and structures ..which
      will link the deaf anf comunity in Ahero in the
      internet..through,sports,culture,science,education,Technoilogy
      and farming.
      Many will..save money the next cyber cafee is
      kisumu...more than 2usd to kisum and from Ahero.
      We are willing to have anyn org that can help..who can
      link us to Nokia,Microsoft,Iway,Fronter,etc orsiemens
      for such offers we only neeed ..good conectivity.
      Thanks
      TOM OCHUKA.

    • ricardoolpc
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2008

        Hi Tom
                      there are plenty of options, but it needs a little money to get started, for equipment and mobile-phone data-charges. You also need someone with a little computer experience, as a home PC or laptop user, perhaps.

        This is a system that I would suggest. You need...

        1) A PC or Laptop

        2) A Mobile Phone with GPRS capability, to access the internet and act as a modem. It can use pre-pay cards. You can check specifications for different phones here, using the search box  http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_3110_classic-1862.php or on the Nokia website, Motorola, etc.

        3) A way to connect the computer and phone together, so the computer can use the phone to access the internet. This can be...

        a) A USB Cable (genuine Nokia, Motorola, etc, not a cheap fake)

        b) If the phone has Bluetooth capbility (short-range radio data link), it can link to a laptop/PC + USB Bluetooth adapter. They look like a flash-drive

        c) If the phone has an Infrared (light) interface, it can link to a laptop (they have a built-in infrared interface) or to a PC + USB Infrared adapter. They look like a flash-drive

        With GPRS, you pay by the kilobyte for internet-access, for web-pages, files, etc.

        You ask Safaricom to enable GPRS on your phone. Dial 200 to talk to customer services. They will tell you whether the phone has GPRS.

        For a step-by-step guide on how to do it, see my page...

        http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?InternetAccessByMobilePhone#Settingupyourcomputersinternetbrowsertousethephone

        You can buy a refurbished PC from 12,500 KSH including a CRT monitor, from Baobab Communications Ltd in Nairobi. The PC is preloaded with the freeware Linux operating system and freeware OpenOffice (word processor, spreadsheet, etc), but to use a Bluetooth or Infrared link to the phone, it would be much easier to install Windows XP if you can afford it. I don't know whether it works at all on Linux, if you use a Bluetooth or Infrared adapter. They only seem to come with driver software for Microsoft Windows. Someone else may know how to do it using Linux. If you use Linux, then it may be best to use a USB Cable connection to the phone, or don't use a phone at all, use a laptop + plug-in GPRS Modem Card, or a PC/Laptop + USB GPRS Modem box connected by USB Cable.

        http://www.baobab.co.ke/products/overview.htm Price list for PCs

        These pages lists lots of other options for communicating with the rest of the world...

        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Internet

        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sneakernet (an organized CD/flash-drive file-transport service)

        Wizzy Digital Courier may interest you. See these pictures...

        http://www.wizzydigital.org/how_dont_have_computers.html

        http://www.wizzydigital.org/how_one_computer_lab.html

        This Kiosknet project in India is similar to what you want to do.

        http://blizzard.cs.uwaterloo.ca/tetherless/index.php/Main_Page

        They have Kiosks for local services. They also move files around from village-to-village and to/from an internet-access point by WiFi-enabled vehicles.  Any equipment prices are in Indian Rupees and may be a few years out of date. Today 08-April-2008,  1 U.S. dollar = 39.96 Indian rupees, 1 USD = 61.91 KSH, 1 KSH = 0.64 Indian Rupees, 1 Indian Rupee = 1.55 KSH.

        Ricardo

        --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, tom ochuka <tomochuka@...> wrote:

        > Dear Ricardo and all,
        > This days of technoilogy is areal blessing to all
        > even..this disabled..the internet is abroad way to
        > link and connect worldwide.
        > Ahero is aremote area before kisumu..joinning nyakach
        > and ombeyi..kericho will be futher inside..this place
        > is known for rice and sugarcane,
        > This palce has aconserable no of youth with diverse
        > background and knowledge.
        > For many years ...this place had only box no..as
        > ameans to comunacation,postoffice telephone and
        > cellphone.
        > With agriculture nad livestock production and sugare
        > cane..they need to interact with the reast of the
        > world.
        > This will help develope this area..to form avillage
        > conectin with avillageb maybe ahero and
        > pakistan..all..growing rice.
        > We are interested in an INTERNET KIOSK...How can we
        > have such centre with computers and structures ..which
        > will link the deaf anf comunity in Ahero in the
        > internet..through,sports,culture,science,education,Technoilogy
        > and farming.
        > Many will..save money the next cyber cafee is
        > kisumu...more than 2usd to kisum and from Ahero.
        > We are willing to have anyn org that can help..who can
        > link us to Nokia,Microsoft,Iway,Fronter,etc orsiemens
        > for such offers we only neeed ..good conectivity.
        > Thanks
        > TOM OCHUKA.

        > You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

      • Sasha
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2008
          But of course Gnu Linux has the capability of using bluetooth dialup
          through cellphone!
          For example this is Ubuntu manual on how to do this:
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothDialup

          Dont make a mistake, Gnu Linux can do almost everything that windows
          can and much more, and it comes's with a fantastic community driven
          tech support, after all its a wok of love. I recommend everyone, use
          Gnu Linux.

          Cheers, Sasha
          writing from a Debian powered laptop