Re: [holistichelping] Re: Rains that can help us turns ........Thanks chelimo,Dan,SAM..Ricardo

  • chelimo kenneth
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2008
      Dear Tom,

      Iam perturbed the situation is worseniing in both
      Kisumu and Mbita. I hope you downloaded the video
      Ricardo recommended on how to construct simple pit
      latrines. This will help check the situation and avoid
      many people contracting cholera and other water borne
      diseases. I have not gotten time to check the link as
      I have been in a peace meeting the whole of today. I
      also spoke to Dennis Kimambo and concurred with him
      that mosquito nets are distributed free at government
      hospitals to women who have children below age 5. You
      can approach government hospitals in Nyando and kisumu
      for help.

      Thanks Ricardo for your timely intervention. I hope
      the link you provided will help many avert the cholera
      catastrophe in Nyanza. Stay health

      Ken Chelimo

      http://www.wikihow.com/Make-and-Use-a-Slit-Trench-Latrine

      > > I will be using the Google 'Image Search' facility
      > > to look for
      > > latrine plans. Maybe you can have a look to, at a
      > > cyber cafe.
      > >
      > > http://images.google.co.uk/images?
      > > um=1&hl=en&safe=active&q=pit+latrine
      > >
      > > We can try searches for 'pit latrine', 'trench
      > > latrine' or
      > > just 'latrine'. If you click on a picture, it will
      > > take you to the
      > > web-page that it appears on, where there is
      > probably
      > > an article
      > > about it.
      > >
      > > I think there are lots of ways that 'information'
      > > from the internet
      > > can help with any of the problems in Nyanza. For
      > any
      > > problem, you
      > > aren't the first person in the world to have that
      > > problem, so
      > > someone will have published their solutions or
      > > partial-solutions to
      > > it. Aid Organization websites may be a good place
      > > look, such as
      > > the Red Cross.
      > >
      > > Can you tell me a bit more about your role in all
      > > this, Tom?
      > >
      > > Ricardo
      > >

      > > --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, Denis
      > > Kimambo
      > > <kimambodenis@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > This is great information Ricardo, mosquito nets
      > > are given freeby
      > > the gorvenment to pregnanant mothers and children
      > > under the age of
      > > 5 in any gorvenment health center Tom try to
      > > approach them, on the
      > > pit latrines a lot of heath information needs to
      > be
      > > passed to the

      === message truncated ===

    • ricardoolpc
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2008

        Tom,

        I just received this email reply from Mr Frank Lawson, an engineer at Water Aid UK. The PDF file (on page 38) has a diagram of the latrine featured in the video. The PDF file calls it a 'Pour Flush Single Pit Offset' latrine.

        The PDF has some relevant sections, Sanitation (Latrines), Disinfection (of water, with chlorine etc), and Treatment of Water.

        There seems to be a mixture of things that you can build yourself and things that need special tools and outside organizations to help.

        I'm just posting this information as soon as I received it. I haven't read it myself yet. I'll email you later.

        There's a list of UK aid organizations you can contact, with links to their websites. I think most of the UK organizations work with local Kenya partner-organizations, so maybe the UK organizations can provide their contact details.

        Ricardo

        Dear Ricardo,

        Thank you for your message to WaterAid about technical information for digging latrines in Kenya.

        If you follow this link:- http://www.wateraid.org/documents/plugin_documents/technology_notes_07_web_1.pdf, to the `Sustainable technologies' notes on our website, then go to Section 12 you will find a wealth of information that should help your friend in Kenya.

        Unfortunately, WaterAid currently has no country programme in Kenya, so we have no remit or budget to support projects there. However there are two Kenya based organizations that might be able to assist your friend directly. They are:-

        Maji na Ufanisi  PO Box 58684   Nairobi    Telephone  254 20 2727107

        Website:  www.majinaufanisi.org

        E-mail:   mnu@...

        KWAHO           PO Box 61470  Nairobi     Telephone 254 20 557550

        Website:  www.kwaho.org

        E-mail:    info@...

        Both organizations operate in a similar way to WaterAid, so you should get the information that you require from them if you explore their websites.

        In addition there are a number of UK based NGOs that are currently supporting water and sanitation projects in Kenya who you may wish to approach. They are:-

        ActionAid
        AFRICA NOW
        ACORD
        Healthlink Worldwide
        CAFOD
        CARE International UK
        Food for the Hungry UK
        OXFAM GB
        Plan UK
        Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
        Tearfund
        AMREF
        Save the Children
        VSO
        Water, Engineering and Development Centre
        World Vision UK
        Y Care International
        Hope for Children
        Build Africa

        By clicking on each name in turn their contact details are revealed via the hyperlink to the BOND (British Overseas NGOs for Development) website. I would suggest approaching Oxfam initially for the emergency relief supplies that you are trying to source.

        I hope this helps you and may I wish you every success with your work.

        Best wishes,

        Frank Lawson

        Engineering Adviser

        WaterAid

        020 7793 4546

        technicalenquiryservice@...

        --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, chelimo kenneth <chelimoken@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > someone will have published their solutions or
        > > > partial-solutions to
        > > > it. Aid Organization websites may be a good place
        > > > look, such as
        > > > the Red Cross.
        > > >
        > > > Can you tell me a bit more about your role in all
        > > > this, Tom?
        > > >
        > > > Ricardo
        > > >

        > > > --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, Denis
        > > > Kimambo

        > > > are given freeby
        > > > the gorvenment to pregnanant mothers and children
        > > > under the age of
        > > > 5 in any gorvenment health center Tom try to
        > > > approach them, on the
        > > > pit latrines a lot of heath information needs to
        > > be
        > > > passed to the
        > >
        > === message truncated ===

        > You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

      • ricardoolpc
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
          Tom

          My comments had a slight mistake in them. You don't have to contact
          UK organizations. You can contact 2 Kenyan water organizations
          DIRECTLY. Yahoo Groups will shorten the email addresses with the @
          symbol in them. So they are...

          mnu AT majinaufanisi.org

          info AT kwaho.org

          or see the 'contact us' page on the 2 websites.

          --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, "ricardoolpc"
          <ricardoolpc@...> wrote:

> [...]
          friend
          > directly. They are:-
          >
          > Maji na Ufanisi PO Box 58684 Nairobi Telephone 254 20
          2727107

          > Website: www.majinaufanisi.org <http://www.majinaufanisi.org/>
          >
          > E-mail: mnu@...
          > <http://uk.f278.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=mnu@...>
          >
          > KWAHO PO Box 61470 Nairobi Telephone 254 20 557550
          >
          > Website: www.kwaho.org <http://www.kwaho.org/>
          >
          > E-mail: info@...
          > <http://uk.f278.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=info@...>
          >
          > Both organizations operate in a similar way to WaterAid, so you
          should
          > get the information that you require from them if you explore their
          > websites.
          >
          > In addition there are a number of UK based NGOs that are currently
          > supporting water and sanitation projects in Kenya who you may wish

          strRequest=membe\

          To=technicalenquiryservice@wat\
> [...]
          > > > this measure..thanks ricardo..se another note.
          > > > Mosquito nets are provided who knows where wec a get
          > > > them,
          > > > Do you know ant group dispensary,clinic we are
          > > > really
          > > > in need.
          > > > WE hope to work together in this region.
          > > > Nyando river comes from the hills around nandi and
          > > > muhoroni..by te time this waer is here sweveral..km
          > > > and villages wash,drink,uribate and all the animal
          > > > also drink the same water..it directs it water to
          > > > lake
          > > > victoria,
          > > > Thuis is adanger to abig location and region.
          > > > The children in schools need drinking ater that is
          > > > safe..as it sometes is hot and rains sudenly.
          > > > The ground in kano and mbita is loose and so needs
          > > > agood construction method.
          > > > pEOLE IN KANO MAKE PIT LATRINES EVRY 2MONTHS OR

          ___\