Re: Rains that can help us turns ........Killer........as Cholera looms in

  • ricardoolpc
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2008
      Dear All
      I sent Tom this email this morning (edited a little)...

      Hi Tom

      I saw your message in the Holistic Helping Yahoo Group about the
      Cholera situation in the Nyanza region and needing some plans for
      toilet and latrines. I posted a reply. Have you seen it? Please
      see...

      I tried to describe in words how to build a pit latrine, but
      watching the video yourself is much better of course.

      I asked Ken for your email address and he sent that to me and also
      said that he had spoken to you about the video and that you could
      download it.

      If you go to this page...

      http://www.wateraid.org/uk/learn_zone/video/5233.asp

      On a fast internet connection, you can watch it online if you want.
      Also, there is a link on the page, where it says Download the film
      as an mpeg that is a link to a .MPG file. Like any other file,
      right-click it and use Save As... to save it to your PC hard drive.

      It's actually a program for school-children, but that's a good
      thing. The presenter is speaking clearly in simple English. My
      apologies for his fashion-sense. That yellow shirt is wierd!

      I've sent an email to Water Aid, asking whether they have any
      printed plans available, as web-pages or downloadable files.

      This is the email that I sent them...

      "Hi. A friend of mine in the Nyanza province of westen Kenya says
      that they are facing a cholera crisis and has asked me to help find
      some more information on digging latrines, and their design. I
      wondered whether you have any plans or information on this. I found
      a school video on your site, but its very large. Some printed
      diagrams would be easier to use, via slow African internet
      connections.

      I'm a regular donor to Water Aid and I remember seeing some plans
      for latrines in a previous email newsletter. Is there an archive of
      these somewhere on the website?

      Also, I know that Water Aid works slowly and carefully to prevent
      water and sanitation problems, and it isn't an emergency relief
      organization. Do you know of any suitable organizations I could
      direct him to, to discuss emergency relief aid, for latrine
      materials, mosquito nets, oral rehydration salts, water treatment
      tablets, etc? "

      I'll let you know when they reply.

      We can all search around with Google as well, to see if anyone else
      has produced some good plans and diagrams for a pit latrine.

      In an emergency, it may be a good idea to use simple 'trench
      latrines' for a start, then add pit-latrines as soon as possible
      afterwards. Trench-latrines are better than nothing. People use them
      on camp-sites, in the army, etc.

      http://www.wikihow.com/Make-and-Use-a-Slit-Trench-Latrine

      I will be using the Google 'Image Search' facility to look for
      latrine plans. Maybe you can have a look to, at a cyber cafe.

      http://images.google.co.uk/images?
      um=1&hl=en&safe=active&q=pit+latrine

      We can try searches for 'pit latrine', 'trench latrine' or
      just 'latrine'. If you click on a picture, it will take you to the
      web-page that it appears on, where there is probably an article
      about it.

      I think there are lots of ways that 'information' from the internet
      can help with any of the problems in Nyanza. For any problem, you
      aren't the first person in the world to have that problem, so
      someone will have published their solutions or partial-solutions to
      it. Aid Organization websites may be a good place to look, such as
      the Red Cross.

      Can you tell me a bit more about your role in all this, Tom?

      Ricardo

      --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, Denis Kimambo
      <kimambodenis@...> wrote:

      > This is great information Ricardo, mosquito nets are given freeby
      the gorvenment to pregnanant mothers and children under the age of
      5 in any gorvenment health center Tom try to approach them, on the
      pit latrines a lot of heath information needs to be passed to the
      community.

> [...]
      >
      > You and I can also search for other articles, plans and diagrams
      on
      > how to build a pit latrine, using Google.
      >
      > Also see this page about Oral Rehydration Therapy, using Oral
      > Rehydration Salts made from water, sugar and salt.
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy
      >
      > It says "Oral rehydration therapy, (also called ORT, oral
      > rehydration salts or solutions (ORS), oral electrolyte, or
      > drinking), is a simple, cheap, and effective treatment for
      diarrhea-
      > related dehydration, for example due to cholera or rotavirus. It
      > consists of a solution of salts and other substances such as
      > glucose, sucrose, citrates or molasses, which is administered
      > orally. It is used around the world, but is most important in the
      > Third World, where it saves millions of children from diarrhea—
      still
      > their leading cause of death."
      >
      > Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_net
      >
      > Are mosquito nets and water-treatment tablets for sale locally, if
      > you had the money?
      >
      > Ricardo (England)
      >
      > --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, tom ochuka <tomochuka@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > Dear Sam,Ken ,Dan,Chelimo,Janet,Maria and all.
      > > Its has been reported thatNyanza is worse now..I Have
      > > experienced it now.
      > > The children have long stomach runs..with complain in
      > > the chest,River Nyando our source of livelihood has
      > > become akiller.
      > > We cant get nrea any more while the homes are already
      > > washed away..with no crops..we cant just live to see
      > > this come every year.
      > > To begin with we must comstruct toilets..are there
      > > peoplwewho are just good in this.
      > > Designing,and making.
      > > Our ground is loose..and needs abetter structured
      > > toilets for every home.
      > > Mosquitoes are also breeding,SAM EXPERINCED THIS WHILE
      > > HE VISITED ME.
      > > The deafimpact children..require nets,Tabs..and Even
      > > water containers to keep ..good health and hygine.
      > > WE can atlength dicuss this kisumu..is already
      > > affected as at now no running water and all are warned
      > > taht unless something is done ..Chilera is number two
      > > to election vilolence.
      > > What are your vies SAM HOW IS MbITA..sOME ARE ADMITTED
      > > AT THE HOSPITAL FROM MBITA.
      > > Lets comunicate and get alsting solution.
      > > TOM OCHUKA.

      > _______________
      > > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      > > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
      > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
      > category=shopping
      > >

      > DENNIS KIMAMBO
      > +254-722-388-275
      > PO BOX 13361 20100
      > NAKURU KENYA
      > EAST AFRICA
      > repacted.org
      >
      > ---------------------------------
      > No Cost - Get a month of Blockbuster Total Access now. Sweet deal

    • tom ochuka
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2008
        Dear all,
        Rains ...is still continuing in deapth..and much
        help is needed..Thanks ken chelimo for yor call I
        Spent the day in Ahero while you called,thanks Dan
        otedo mbita is also worsely hitted.
        This matters of health are serious..how can we work on
        this measure..thanks ricardo..se another note.
        Mosquito nets are provided who knows where wec a get
        them,
        Do you know ant group dispensary,clinic we are really
        in need.
        WE hope to work together in this region.
        Nyando river comes from the hills around nandi and
        muhoroni..by te time this waer is here sweveral..km
        and villages wash,drink,uribate and all the animal
        also drink the same water..it directs it water to lake
        victoria,
        Thuis is adanger to abig location and region.
        The children in schools need drinking ater that is
        safe..as it sometes is hot and rains sudenly.
        The ground in kano and mbita is loose and so needs
        agood construction method.
        pEOLE IN KANO MAKE PIT LATRINES EVRY 2MONTHS OR
        THREE.
        Lets thik about this once more.
        TOM OCHUKA.

        === message truncated ===

      • chelimo kenneth
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2008
          Dear Tom,

          Iam perturbed the situation is worseniing in both
          Kisumu and Mbita. I hope you downloaded the video
          Ricardo recommended on how to construct simple pit
          latrines. This will help check the situation and avoid
          many people contracting cholera and other water borne
          diseases. I have not gotten time to check the link as
          I have been in a peace meeting the whole of today. I
          also spoke to Dennis Kimambo and concurred with him
          that mosquito nets are distributed free at government
          hospitals to women who have children below age 5. You
          can approach government hospitals in Nyando and kisumu
          for help.

          Thanks Ricardo for your timely intervention. I hope
          the link you provided will help many avert the cholera
          catastrophe in Nyanza. Stay health

          Ken Chelimo

          === message truncated ===

        • ricardoolpc
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2008

            Tom,

            I just received this email reply from Mr Frank Lawson, an engineer at Water Aid UK. The PDF file (on page 38) has a diagram of the latrine featured in the video. The PDF file calls it a 'Pour Flush Single Pit Offset' latrine.

            The PDF has some relevant sections, Sanitation (Latrines), Disinfection (of water, with chlorine etc), and Treatment of Water.

            There seems to be a mixture of things that you can build yourself and things that need special tools and outside organizations to help.

            I'm just posting this information as soon as I received it. I haven't read it myself yet. I'll email you later.

            There's a list of UK aid organizations you can contact, with links to their websites. I think most of the UK organizations work with local Kenya partner-organizations, so maybe the UK organizations can provide their contact details.

            Ricardo

            Dear Ricardo,

            Thank you for your message to WaterAid about technical information for digging latrines in Kenya.

            If you follow this link:- http://www.wateraid.org/documents/plugin_documents/technology_notes_07_web_1.pdf, to the `Sustainable technologies' notes on our website, then go to Section 12 you will find a wealth of information that should help your friend in Kenya.

            Unfortunately, WaterAid currently has no country programme in Kenya, so we have no remit or budget to support projects there. However there are two Kenya based organizations that might be able to assist your friend directly. They are:-

            Maji na Ufanisi  PO Box 58684   Nairobi    Telephone  254 20 2727107

            Website:  www.majinaufanisi.org

            E-mail:   mnu@...

            KWAHO           PO Box 61470  Nairobi     Telephone 254 20 557550

            Website:  www.kwaho.org

            E-mail:    info@...

            Both organizations operate in a similar way to WaterAid, so you should get the information that you require from them if you explore their websites.

            In addition there are a number of UK based NGOs that are currently supporting water and sanitation projects in Kenya who you may wish to approach. They are:-

            ActionAid
            AFRICA NOW
            ACORD
            Healthlink Worldwide
            CAFOD
            CARE International UK
            Food for the Hungry UK
            OXFAM GB
            Plan UK
            Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
            Tearfund
            AMREF
            Save the Children
            VSO
            Water, Engineering and Development Centre
            World Vision UK
            Y Care International
            Hope for Children
            Build Africa

            By clicking on each name in turn their contact details are revealed via the hyperlink to the BOND (British Overseas NGOs for Development) website. I would suggest approaching Oxfam initially for the emergency relief supplies that you are trying to source.

            I hope this helps you and may I wish you every success with your work.

            Best wishes,

            Frank Lawson

            Engineering Adviser

            WaterAid

            020 7793 4546

            technicalenquiryservice@...

            --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, chelimo kenneth <chelimoken@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > someone will have published their solutions or
            > > > partial-solutions to
            > > > it. Aid Organization websites may be a good place
            > > > look, such as
            > > > the Red Cross.
            > > >
            > > > Can you tell me a bit more about your role in all
            > > > this, Tom?
            > > >
            > > > Ricardo
            > > >

            > > > --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, Denis
            > > > Kimambo

            > > > are given freeby
            > > > the gorvenment to pregnanant mothers and children
            > > > under the age of
            > > > 5 in any gorvenment health center Tom try to
            > > > approach them, on the
            > > > pit latrines a lot of heath information needs to
            > > be
            > > > passed to the
            > >
            > === message truncated ===

            > You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

          • ricardoolpc
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
              Tom

              My comments had a slight mistake in them. You don't have to contact
              UK organizations. You can contact 2 Kenyan water organizations
              DIRECTLY. Yahoo Groups will shorten the email addresses with the @
              symbol in them. So they are...

              mnu AT majinaufanisi.org

              info AT kwaho.org

              or see the 'contact us' page on the 2 websites.

              --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, "ricardoolpc"
              <ricardoolpc@...> wrote:

> [...]
              friend
              > directly. They are:-
              >
              > Maji na Ufanisi PO Box 58684 Nairobi Telephone 254 20
              2727107

              > Website: www.majinaufanisi.org <http://www.majinaufanisi.org/>
              >
              > E-mail: mnu@...
              > <http://uk.f278.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=mnu@...>
              >
              > KWAHO PO Box 61470 Nairobi Telephone 254 20 557550
              >
              > Website: www.kwaho.org <http://www.kwaho.org/>
              >
              > E-mail: info@...
              > <http://uk.f278.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=info@...>
              >
              > Both organizations operate in a similar way to WaterAid, so you
              should
              > get the information that you require from them if you explore their
              > websites.
              >
              > In addition there are a number of UK based NGOs that are currently
              > supporting water and sanitation projects in Kenya who you may wish

              strRequest=membe\

              To=technicalenquiryservice@wat\
> [...]
              > > > this measure..thanks ricardo..se another note.
              > > > Mosquito nets are provided who knows where wec a get
              > > > them,
              > > > Do you know ant group dispensary,clinic we are
              > > > really
              > > > in need.
              > > > WE hope to work together in this region.
              > > > Nyando river comes from the hills around nandi and
              > > > muhoroni..by te time this waer is here sweveral..km
              > > > and villages wash,drink,uribate and all the animal
              > > > also drink the same water..it directs it water to
              > > > lake
              > > > victoria,
              > > > Thuis is adanger to abig location and region.
              > > > The children in schools need drinking ater that is
              > > > safe..as it sometes is hot and rains sudenly.
              > > > The ground in kano and mbita is loose and so needs
              > > > agood construction method.
              > > > pEOLE IN KANO MAKE PIT LATRINES EVRY 2MONTHS OR

              ___\