Rains that can help us turns ........Killer........as Cholera looms in

  • tom ochuka
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2008
      Dear Sam,Ken ,Dan,Chelimo,Janet,Maria and all.
      Its has been reported thatNyanza is worse now..I Have
      experienced it now.
      The children have long stomach runs..with complain in
      the chest,River Nyando our source of livelihood has
      become akiller.
      We cant get nrea any more while the homes are already
      washed away..with no crops..we cant just live to see
      this come every year.
      To begin with we must comstruct toilets..are there
      peoplwewho are just good in this.
      Designing,and making.
      Our ground is loose..and needs abetter structured
      toilets for every home.
      Mosquitoes are also breeding,SAM EXPERINCED THIS WHILE
      HE VISITED ME.
      The deafimpact children..require nets,Tabs..and Even
      water containers to keep ..good health and hygine.
      WE can atlength dicuss this kisumu..is already
      affected as at now no running water and all are warned
      taht unless something is done ..Chilera is number two
      to election vilolence.
      What are your vies SAM HOW IS MbITA..sOME ARE ADMITTED
      AT THE HOSPITAL FROM MBITA.
      Lets comunicate and get alsting solution.
      TOM OCHUKA.

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • ricardoolpc
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 31, 2008
        Hi Tom

        The UK Charity 'Water Aid' http://www.wateraid.org/uk/ has a good
        design for a 'pit latrine', to safely dispose of waste from a
        toilet, to prevent cholera, etc.

        This Water Aid video for UK schools shows very clearly how to make
        a 'pit latrine' with a hand-dug 'pit' (a deep hole about 2 metres
        deep, covered), a specially cut and opened out plastic drain-pipe
        and a cast concrete slab with a hole, to stand on.

        The pipe is about 1.5 metres long and 15cm in diameter. Half of it
        is left unchanged. Half way along the pipe, you cut it with a saw
        half way through, cut along the top, then heat the pipe over a fire
        and unfold that half of the pipe until it is like a U shaped
        channel, leading into the ordinary circular half of the pipe.

        The pipe is arranged so that it slopes downward into the pit and
        leads from a latrine shed with the concrete slab, with a hole in it.

        In a latrine shed, the user stands on the latrine slab with the hole
        in it, 'poohs' on the U shaped channel end, through the concrete
        slab with the hole in it, then tips a bucket of water down the hole.
        This washes the 'pooh' down the U shaped channel, through the other
        half of the pipe, into the covered pit. In the pit, the water soaks
        into the ground, and the 'pooh' safely decays away over a few week.

        The user then washes and sweeps the slab clean for the next user,
        and washes their hands.

        Unfortunately, you need a fast internet connection to watch the
        video online. Alternatively, if you know somewhere/someone with a
        fast internet-connection, you/they can download the large 804 MB
        MPEG video file from a link on the page and write it to a DVD disk,
        to watch on any computer or transfer to a mobile phone with a 1GB
        memory card to watch and listen to. Maybe Ken Owino or David Mutua
        in Nairobi, or Sam or Ken Chelimo, could do this and send you the
        DVD disk. Or they could watch it and describe how to make one to
        you, in Kiswahili. The cost of each latrine is very low.

        http://www.wateraid.org/uk/learn_zone/video/5233.asp

        There is a contact page for Water Aid UK at...

        http://www.wateraid.org/uk/contact_us/default.asp

        Water Aid works slowly and carefully to prevent water and sanitation
        problems, and they don't work in Kenya, just Uganda, Tanzania, etc.
        I don't think they are an emergency-aid organization, but I will
        email them for advice on what to do in this situation.

        You and I can also search for other articles, plans and diagrams on
        how to build a pit latrine, using Google.

        Also see this page about Oral Rehydration Therapy, using Oral
        Rehydration Salts made from water, sugar and salt.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy

        It says "Oral rehydration therapy, (also called ORT, oral
        rehydration salts or solutions (ORS), oral electrolyte, or
        drinking), is a simple, cheap, and effective treatment for diarrhea-
        related dehydration, for example due to cholera or rotavirus. It
        consists of a solution of salts and other substances such as
        glucose, sucrose, citrates or molasses, which is administered
        orally. It is used around the world, but is most important in the
        Third World, where it saves millions of children from diarrhea—still
        their leading cause of death."

        Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_net

        Are mosquito nets and water-treatment tablets for sale locally, if
        you had the money?

        Ricardo (England)

        --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, tom ochuka <tomochuka@...>

        _______________
        > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
        http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
        category=shopping

      • Denis Kimambo
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 31, 2008
          This is great information Ricardo, mosquito nets are given freeby the gorvenment to pregnanant mothers and children under the age of  5 in any gorvenment health center Tom try to approach them, on the pit latrines a lot of heath information needs to be passed to the community.

          Dennis

          ____________ ___
          > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
          http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?
          category=shopping

          DENNIS KIMAMBO
          +254-722-388-275
          PO BOX 13361 20100
          NAKURU KENYA
          EAST AFRICA
          repacted.org

        • ricardoolpc
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1 2:04 AM
            Dear All
            I sent Tom this email this morning (edited a little)...

            Hi Tom

            I saw your message in the Holistic Helping Yahoo Group about the
            Cholera situation in the Nyanza region and needing some plans for
            toilet and latrines. I posted a reply. Have you seen it? Please
            see...

            I tried to describe in words how to build a pit latrine, but
            watching the video yourself is much better of course.

            I asked Ken for your email address and he sent that to me and also
            said that he had spoken to you about the video and that you could
            download it.

            If you go to this page...

            http://www.wateraid.org/uk/learn_zone/video/5233.asp

            On a fast internet connection, you can watch it online if you want.
            Also, there is a link on the page, where it says Download the film
            as an mpeg that is a link to a .MPG file. Like any other file,
            right-click it and use Save As... to save it to your PC hard drive.

            It's actually a program for school-children, but that's a good
            thing. The presenter is speaking clearly in simple English. My
            apologies for his fashion-sense. That yellow shirt is wierd!

            I've sent an email to Water Aid, asking whether they have any
            printed plans available, as web-pages or downloadable files.

            This is the email that I sent them...

            "Hi. A friend of mine in the Nyanza province of westen Kenya says
            that they are facing a cholera crisis and has asked me to help find
            some more information on digging latrines, and their design. I
            wondered whether you have any plans or information on this. I found
            a school video on your site, but its very large. Some printed
            diagrams would be easier to use, via slow African internet
            connections.

            I'm a regular donor to Water Aid and I remember seeing some plans
            for latrines in a previous email newsletter. Is there an archive of
            these somewhere on the website?

            Also, I know that Water Aid works slowly and carefully to prevent
            water and sanitation problems, and it isn't an emergency relief
            organization. Do you know of any suitable organizations I could
            direct him to, to discuss emergency relief aid, for latrine
            materials, mosquito nets, oral rehydration salts, water treatment
            tablets, etc? "

            I'll let you know when they reply.

            We can all search around with Google as well, to see if anyone else
            has produced some good plans and diagrams for a pit latrine.

            In an emergency, it may be a good idea to use simple 'trench
            latrines' for a start, then add pit-latrines as soon as possible
            afterwards. Trench-latrines are better than nothing. People use them
            on camp-sites, in the army, etc.

            http://www.wikihow.com/Make-and-Use-a-Slit-Trench-Latrine

            I will be using the Google 'Image Search' facility to look for
            latrine plans. Maybe you can have a look to, at a cyber cafe.

            http://images.google.co.uk/images?
            um=1&hl=en&safe=active&q=pit+latrine

            We can try searches for 'pit latrine', 'trench latrine' or
            just 'latrine'. If you click on a picture, it will take you to the
            web-page that it appears on, where there is probably an article
            about it.

            I think there are lots of ways that 'information' from the internet
            can help with any of the problems in Nyanza. For any problem, you
            aren't the first person in the world to have that problem, so
            someone will have published their solutions or partial-solutions to
            it. Aid Organization websites may be a good place to look, such as
            the Red Cross.

            Can you tell me a bit more about your role in all this, Tom?

            Ricardo

            --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, Denis Kimambo
            <kimambodenis@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > affected as at now no running water and all are warned
            > > taht unless something is done ..Chilera is number two
            > > to election vilolence.
            > > What are your vies SAM HOW IS MbITA..sOME ARE ADMITTED
            > > AT THE HOSPITAL FROM MBITA.
            > > Lets comunicate and get alsting solution.
            > > TOM OCHUKA.

            > _______________
            > > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            > > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
            > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
            > category=shopping
            > >

            > DENNIS KIMAMBO
            > +254-722-388-275
            > PO BOX 13361 20100
            > NAKURU KENYA
            > EAST AFRICA
            > repacted.org
            >
            > ---------------------------------
            > No Cost - Get a month of Blockbuster Total Access now. Sweet deal

          • tom ochuka
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1 7:10 AM
              Dear all,
              Rains ...is still continuing in deapth..and much
              help is needed..Thanks ken chelimo for yor call I
              Spent the day in Ahero while you called,thanks Dan
              otedo mbita is also worsely hitted.
              This matters of health are serious..how can we work on
              this measure..thanks ricardo..se another note.
              Mosquito nets are provided who knows where wec a get
              them,
              Do you know ant group dispensary,clinic we are really
              in need.
              WE hope to work together in this region.
              Nyando river comes from the hills around nandi and
              muhoroni..by te time this waer is here sweveral..km
              and villages wash,drink,uribate and all the animal
              also drink the same water..it directs it water to lake
              victoria,
              Thuis is adanger to abig location and region.
              The children in schools need drinking ater that is
              safe..as it sometes is hot and rains sudenly.
              The ground in kano and mbita is loose and so needs
              agood construction method.
              pEOLE IN KANO MAKE PIT LATRINES EVRY 2MONTHS OR
              THREE.
              Lets thik about this once more.
              TOM OCHUKA.

              === message truncated ===

            • chelimo kenneth
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1 7:32 AM
                Dear Tom,

                Iam perturbed the situation is worseniing in both
                Kisumu and Mbita. I hope you downloaded the video
                Ricardo recommended on how to construct simple pit
                latrines. This will help check the situation and avoid
                many people contracting cholera and other water borne
                diseases. I have not gotten time to check the link as
                I have been in a peace meeting the whole of today. I
                also spoke to Dennis Kimambo and concurred with him
                that mosquito nets are distributed free at government
                hospitals to women who have children below age 5. You
                can approach government hospitals in Nyando and kisumu
                for help.

                Thanks Ricardo for your timely intervention. I hope
                the link you provided will help many avert the cholera
                catastrophe in Nyanza. Stay health

                Ken Chelimo

                === message truncated ===

              • ricardoolpc
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1 11:59 AM

                  Tom,

                  I just received this email reply from Mr Frank Lawson, an engineer at Water Aid UK. The PDF file (on page 38) has a diagram of the latrine featured in the video. The PDF file calls it a 'Pour Flush Single Pit Offset' latrine.

                  The PDF has some relevant sections, Sanitation (Latrines), Disinfection (of water, with chlorine etc), and Treatment of Water.

                  There seems to be a mixture of things that you can build yourself and things that need special tools and outside organizations to help.

                  I'm just posting this information as soon as I received it. I haven't read it myself yet. I'll email you later.

                  There's a list of UK aid organizations you can contact, with links to their websites. I think most of the UK organizations work with local Kenya partner-organizations, so maybe the UK organizations can provide their contact details.

                  Ricardo

                  Dear Ricardo,

                  Thank you for your message to WaterAid about technical information for digging latrines in Kenya.

                  If you follow this link:- http://www.wateraid.org/documents/plugin_documents/technology_notes_07_web_1.pdf, to the `Sustainable technologies' notes on our website, then go to Section 12 you will find a wealth of information that should help your friend in Kenya.

                  Unfortunately, WaterAid currently has no country programme in Kenya, so we have no remit or budget to support projects there. However there are two Kenya based organizations that might be able to assist your friend directly. They are:-

                  Maji na Ufanisi  PO Box 58684   Nairobi    Telephone  254 20 2727107

                  Website:  www.majinaufanisi.org

                  E-mail:   mnu@...

                  KWAHO           PO Box 61470  Nairobi     Telephone 254 20 557550

                  Website:  www.kwaho.org

                  E-mail:    info@...

                  Both organizations operate in a similar way to WaterAid, so you should get the information that you require from them if you explore their websites.

                  In addition there are a number of UK based NGOs that are currently supporting water and sanitation projects in Kenya who you may wish to approach. They are:-

                  ActionAid
                  AFRICA NOW
                  ACORD
                  Healthlink Worldwide
                  CAFOD
                  CARE International UK
                  Food for the Hungry UK
                  OXFAM GB
                  Plan UK
                  Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
                  Tearfund
                  AMREF
                  Save the Children
                  VSO
                  Water, Engineering and Development Centre
                  World Vision UK
                  Y Care International
                  Hope for Children
                  Build Africa

                  By clicking on each name in turn their contact details are revealed via the hyperlink to the BOND (British Overseas NGOs for Development) website. I would suggest approaching Oxfam initially for the emergency relief supplies that you are trying to source.

                  I hope this helps you and may I wish you every success with your work.

                  Best wishes,

                  Frank Lawson

                  Engineering Adviser

                  WaterAid

                  020 7793 4546

                  technicalenquiryservice@...

                  --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, chelimo kenneth <chelimoken@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > someone will have published their solutions or
                  > > > partial-solutions to
                  > > > it. Aid Organization websites may be a good place
                  > > > look, such as
                  > > > the Red Cross.
                  > > >
                  > > > Can you tell me a bit more about your role in all
                  > > > this, Tom?
                  > > >
                  > > > Ricardo
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, Denis
                  > > > Kimambo

                  > > > are given freeby
                  > > > the gorvenment to pregnanant mothers and children
                  > > > under the age of
                  > > > 5 in any gorvenment health center Tom try to
                  > > > approach them, on the
                  > > > pit latrines a lot of heath information needs to
                  > > be
                  > > > passed to the
                  > >
                  > === message truncated ===

                  > You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

                • ricardoolpc
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3 3:10 AM
                    Tom

                    My comments had a slight mistake in them. You don't have to contact
                    UK organizations. You can contact 2 Kenyan water organizations
                    DIRECTLY. Yahoo Groups will shorten the email addresses with the @
                    symbol in them. So they are...

                    mnu AT majinaufanisi.org

                    info AT kwaho.org

                    or see the 'contact us' page on the 2 websites.

                    --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, "ricardoolpc"
                    <ricardoolpc@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    friend
                    > directly. They are:-
                    >
                    > Maji na Ufanisi PO Box 58684 Nairobi Telephone 254 20
                    2727107

                    > Website: www.majinaufanisi.org <http://www.majinaufanisi.org/>
                    >
                    > E-mail: mnu@...
                    > <http://uk.f278.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=mnu@...>
                    >
                    > KWAHO PO Box 61470 Nairobi Telephone 254 20 557550
                    >
                    > Website: www.kwaho.org <http://www.kwaho.org/>
                    >
                    > E-mail: info@...
                    > <http://uk.f278.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=info@...>
                    >
                    > Both organizations operate in a similar way to WaterAid, so you
                    should
                    > get the information that you require from them if you explore their
                    > websites.
                    >
                    > In addition there are a number of UK based NGOs that are currently
                    > supporting water and sanitation projects in Kenya who you may wish

                    strRequest=membe\

                    To=technicalenquiryservice@wat\
> [...]
                    > > > this measure..thanks ricardo..se another note.
                    > > > Mosquito nets are provided who knows where wec a get
                    > > > them,
                    > > > Do you know ant group dispensary,clinic we are
                    > > > really
                    > > > in need.
                    > > > WE hope to work together in this region.
                    > > > Nyando river comes from the hills around nandi and
                    > > > muhoroni..by te time this waer is here sweveral..km
                    > > > and villages wash,drink,uribate and all the animal
                    > > > also drink the same water..it directs it water to
                    > > > lake
                    > > > victoria,
                    > > > Thuis is adanger to abig location and region.
                    > > > The children in schools need drinking ater that is
                    > > > safe..as it sometes is hot and rains sudenly.
                    > > > The ground in kano and mbita is loose and so needs
                    > > > agood construction method.
                    > > > pEOLE IN KANO MAKE PIT LATRINES EVRY 2MONTHS OR

                    ___\