Re: [holistichelping] Ugunja CRC Peace Initiative

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2008
      Dear Charles, Damas, Aggrey, Ken, and All,

      Immense thanks for your quick response and your invaluable work (Charles,
      Damas, and Aggrey), and to Ken for linking us up!! This is so exciting and
      we will indeed check out the newsletters, as well as look for ways to spread
      news of your activities, and find ways to collaborate. I'm happy that Damas
      has signed up for Holistic Helping, the e-group I moderate--which is
      focusing on peace issues in Kenya during the past few months--and you and
      anyone else are most welcome, Charles.

      I am a trained mediator myself, so that when I see the similar approaches
      you are taking to conflict resolution, it is both inspiring and energizing.
      I would love to learn more about what you do and how you do it, and for all
      of us to find ways to support and aid this work. Sharing your
      peace-building model would be wonderful, and I and we can make sure that
      many others know about it too.

      As you say, areas of common interest might be: 1) IDPs 2) reconstruction
      and resettlement 3) mediation at the community level 4) healing from
      trauma. I would also add "community centers", as we have been discussing
      the idea of "peace centers" of some kind, linked in particular to existing
      telecenters, which would in part focus on skills-building for young people,
      as well as on peace-related issues. Would UCRC be interested in this? Ken
      has mentioned that KenTel is interested, and has suggested one or two
      possible participants/hosts already.

      I will send you the NRI info now, and hope it is helpful!

      Perhaps there could be a meeting of some kind in Kisumu (where you mention
      working now), among the interested parties? I would suggest in April, when
      there will be a children's peace summit, organized by Odyssey Arts Pioneers
      and other partners, hopefully including members of the Pyramid of Peace.

      Will close for now and look forward to many more fruitful conversations and
      activities! With all best wishes and greatest blessings, Janet