Re: [voiceful] Re: Correction! Kofi Annan: Negligence of Corporations, Tribes, States= APOLOGY/Reframing (Janet)

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008
      Dear Rachel, Benoit, Andrius, Edward, Peter, Ken, and All,

      Hello and thanks to Benoit for your inspiring and thought-provoking letters!
      Your "framing", coming as it does from a spiritual perspective, is
      invaluable as we discuss peace-related issues, not only those between us but
      peace as it needs to grow within us.

      Thanks to Peter too for your interest in youth livelihoods, and for
      mentioning Grameen and Yunus, something for us to study seriously.

      I have more to say in response to what everyone has written (including
      Benoit's suggestion of outreach to Barack Obama...at your service :)). For
      now, though, I want to address Rachel's response, in part to ease her mind!

      Rachel, I think that Benoit was actually writing to Andrius and Edward more
      than you. You generally frame things with "gentle pursuasion", in the form
      of "suggestions", so I don't think there is a concern about what you've said
      or how you said it.

      In fact, changing the language on the website from that of "enemies" to that
      of "friends" is a loving and caring perspective. We always do need to be
      sensitive to other people, and also to the way we frame something by the
      language we use to describe it.

      The letter which is the subject of this interchange has some very good
      points, but in my view (sorry, Andrius) it sets a "negative" or harsh tone
      which itself begets more of the same. That's perhaps one reason for the
      testy response by Edward, and then again by Andrius.

      I would like us all to work on this letter: to reframe it, if possible,
      into something sounding more cooperative and mutually-beneficial. Some of
      the points raised are in themselves important ones, but the language used
      and the assumptions made are such that the points themselves will be lost in
      people's reaction to them.

      This is constantly the role of the peace-maker: to frame or reframe in such
      a way that there is more "light" and less "heat", if at all possible.
      Sometimes, such as with the long-term agitation against apartheid--which
      included boycotts of corporations which was a successful strategy, at least
      for divestment by American and other companies--there is or seems a
      necessity to "get tough".

      This divestment campaign was done, for the most part, with peaceful
      (nonviolent) protests, and with a shunning of a product. I would not
      recommend doing that with a company we like--which presumably has healthy
      values to begin with, in our view--and only very sparingly with others. For
      instance, I would consider protesting against a company which would be
      selling arms to disgruntled opponents of the coalition government.

      I do not think it's a good strategy to tell a company we will boycott them
      until or unless we get something from them that we want, but if we do get
      something, we will then endorse their products. I understand where that
      suggestion is coming from, but it seems unprincipled in a way (like we are
      being "money-grubbing"), and not a "peaceful" means to an end, even if the
      "end" is to promote peace (and perhaps especially if that is the "end" we
      seek).

      The language that we choose and the behavior that we use makes a huge
      difference: not only in outcomes, but also in the processes of change.

      Thanks to everyone for "being peace", and remembering that "peace is every
      step", as the Buddhist teacher, Thich
      Nhat Hanh, has written! Blessings and best wishes, Janet

      More on Thich Nhat Hanh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thich_Nhat_Hanh

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008
        My Dear Janet:

        I hate to tell you that one of the last companies to "pull out" of South Africa were American Companies. They did so reluctantly as they were benefiting from the Apartheid system. Me as an American was ashamed of this. It was only when the US companies pull out that the news begin to flow and the strength of Apartheid with the help of people like Desmond Tutu break.

        It was the same in Bosnia/Slovenia - we were very late getting in. But when we did - the news began to flow and we accomplished something.

        It will probably be the same with Darfur.

        Maybe we are both saying the same - but I could not tell from your e-mail.

        God Bless.

        Asif

        "In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

        href="mailto:voiceful%40yahoogroups.com">voiceful@yahoogroup s.com, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:

> [...]
        themselves from oppressors and to make good use of resources and

        opportunities from several bioregions, so that typically a state

        includes ports, waterways, agricultural land, natural resources,

        wilderness and highlands.

        >> However, states must allow us
        to work together as local residents and
        >> global citizens to manage
        our bioregions, large and small. These are
        >> not simply local issues
        or national issues, but rather each of us has
        >> the right to help as a
        steward of any bioregion wherever it may be. We
        >> must be allowed to
        organize inclusively all, near or far, who care
        > about
        bioregion and organize related funds and manage relevant resources.

        We all have the right to care and the right to help.

        Please help us organize a human world that does not assume that states

        Peace

        href="http://www.pyramidofpeace.net">http://www.pyramido fpeace.net

        Minciu Sodas

        href="http://www.ms.lt">http://www.ms. lt
        >> +370 699
        30003
        >> Vilnius,
        Lithuania

        > Yahoo!
        Groups Links

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008
          Dear Asif and All,

          Wonderful to hear from you, and yes, I agree. Our corps were not the first to make that move, in fact they were among the last, which was shameful. I was in the divestment movement here, so I know that it took too long a time.

          Many corps, esp those with an  entrenched link to a system which enriches them, will not immediately or willingly give up their investments.  This is why protest can sometimes be necessary. What I'm saying is that this should be done quite sparingly. Hopefully corps in Kenya, if we approach them, will understand what benefits there are to them in a peaceful country, and they will more willingly support our work.  For those who do not support peace initiatives, I think we should leave them out of our own loop of activities, and possibly in our individual choices not support them by purchasing their products.

          I was referring more to the strategy by activists seeking to get companies to divest than to the response of corporations.

          As to news flows, the Kenyan govt and media houses have come in for their share of criticism related to blockage of news during the past two months, or the reporting of news.  Thankfully there are so many news sources, including our own POP activities, that the flow of info moved around the blocks, at least to those of us not in Kenya. And we were able to send it back, as were bloggers and all those linked to the Internet and other ways to gather news than the national media. And receive it directly from the grassroots. How empowering!

          Much of what we can do as peacemakers is to go around the roadblocks, employing the same kind of "flow" water does when something appears to impede it (it goes nonetheless, albeit by a new route). Or engaging with force, but doing it in the way advocated by Lao Tzu in the "Tao Te Ching":  "the soft and pliable will defeat the hard and strong".

          Tai chi, Qigong, and other martial arts use this principle: meeting force with softness and flexibility, remaining in contact until the force spends itself or can be redirected. This approach can be used as a guide for how to "be peace" while making headway to establish it and find support for it.

          Fortunately, there are enough Kenyans feeling empowered to create a better constitution and govt from this crisis that changes should happen internally (to the country), and hopefully also within (the individual).

          Benoit, thanks for your lovely mail to Rachel...as ever, you are gracious and loving!

          Blessings and big hugs to you both, and all! Janet

        • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2008
            My Dear Janet:

            Yes you are absolutely correct in your wisdom. I totally agree with you.