John Rogers: Community Currency for Peacemaking (a suggestion)/very interesting, John, thanks!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2008
      Following Andrius's message about payment for peacemaking work I share the following thoughts.

      The Pyramid of Peace could issue its own currency for peacemaking and community building activities.
      It could create an initial issuance of 750,000 currency units (each one equivalent to one US dollar) to be paid to peacemakers according to the breakdown he gave:
      25,000 USD - Pyramid of Peace donations
      > 25,000 USD - related donations
      > 100,000 USD -
      10 x 2 x 5,000 USD - full time online peacemakers
      > 100,000 USD - 50 x 2 x
      1,000 USD - part time online peacemakers
      > 100,000 USD - 50 x 2 x 1,000
      USD - full time on-the-ground leaders
      > 200,000 USD - 200 x 2 x 500 USD -
      part time on-the-ground peacemakers
      > 200,000 USD - 1,000 x 2 x 100 USD -
      part time on-the-ground
      > peacemakers
      >
      > 750,000 USD =
      Total

      Each recipient of these units would know that they have that amount of credit to spend amongst participants of the global Pyramid of Peace network.  All participants would record on a website what services they are willing to offer to other members of the network: help, accommodation, advice, contacts etc. These 750,000 units would kick-start an 'economy of peace' as they begin to circulate to do more good.
      At the same time, corporate sponsors could be approached to underwrite agreed amounts of the total with donated services such as mobile phone time etc.

      Resources required to make this happen:
      a name for the currency
      a website
      a webmaster/mistress
      a simple governance structure to ensure fair play.

      What does anyone else think about this?

      John Rogers

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
      A Smarter Inbox.